SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC's got shafted on standard equipment

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11 | 06:05 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DoomLight
the SC300/400 was designed as a Toyota for the Japanese Domestic Market. its a luxury sports car. not a loaded sedan. Toyota merely rebadged it as a Lexus. compared to the JDM car. our SC's were at least loaded by comparison. from what i can gather anyway. all USDM SC's had leather interior and sunroofs, the JDM ones had cloth interior. we had analogue gauges and JDM had digitial Clusters. JDM cars (like all Soarers) have had touch screen radio's with navigation, ours just had some funky Lexus premium Stereo. between the v8 and 6 cylinder models the most i can figure out was heated seats and traction control, to me which are inconsequential.

anyways back to the topic. the LS is a flagship car, the SC when it was on sale wasn't. just a sports coupe.
I have a 92 with cloth seats, and there heated. Also were does the is fit in now. is, es, ls, and gs. Why is there a need for 4 four door sedans.
Old 05-19-11 | 08:54 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What year? Sounds like a 98...well the thing is the GS was all new, the LS got a substantial upgrade and the SC gained some but not all of it as it was on the way out compared to the other two.
Yes, mine is a 98, the SC was only mildly refreshed, Gated Shifter... Well ok, I shouldn't say mildly we did get a nice motor upgrade along with the 5 Speed Auto.

Love your signature pic btw!
Old 05-19-11 | 10:18 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neil4Speed
Yes, mine is a 98, the SC was only mildly refreshed, Gated Shifter... Well ok, I shouldn't say mildly we did get a nice motor upgrade along with the 5 Speed Auto.

Love your signature pic btw!
Only the 98 SC400 gets the 5spd auto, the SC300 didn't ..
Old 05-19-11 | 11:59 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

this is an interesting thread. The reason the SC didnt get all of those is because its a coupe. If you guys look around, sedans are always the ones getting all of the features that they starve the coupes of. the 10+ hp was just added to the GS to make up for the added weight. The SC is believe it or not quicker than LS an GS simply for its weight when were talking about same engines. Idk why people are complaining which is funny to me since the SC didnt get significantly more advanced in terms of technology in over ten years which shows how ahead of the game they already were. ALL SC's (300 & 400) come with Traction Control and heated seats, they were just an option and so was the sun roof. There are hardtop SC's. Lastly i just wanna say that theres a big difference between each an every sedan Lexus produces. Yeah i know they make 4 sedans but there all unique in their own way. The IS is a compact car, the smallest of the bunch and is the only one of the 4 that offers a MT and we all know of its sportyness. The ES is the mid-size sedan made for its ride and comfort with a reasonable amount of power as well as more features than the IS. the GS is also a mid-size sedan but is known for its sportier style and power unlike the ES. It also is equipped with alot more goodies than the first two mentioned. Lastly, we go to the LS. Full size sedan an by far the most roomiest, and is gonna cost you a ton more when you get all the options with it. Alot of people cant drive anything smaller than the LS or a full size vehicle and vice versa. Alot of people love all the extra stuff it comes with because all flagship vehicles have more options. so there you have it!
Old 05-19-11 | 02:29 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
well the 5 series bmw seems to fit in very well in beetween the smaller 3 series and the huge 7 series.

It also looks pretty good considering im not a bmw fan either.

Was the GS the in beetween model for the ES and LS?
Here, I'll shed some light:

______________BMW....Mercedes...Lexus...Acura...Infiniti

Entry level.......3 series..C-Class.....ES......TSX.....G series

Mid-size:.........5 series..E Class.....GS......TL........M Series

Flagship:.........7 series..S Class.....LS.......RL........Q Series

All other vehicles (meaning cars like the IS) are made to fill niches and capture a target audience. They aren't made to fit into any generic mold such as the vehicles above. The same sort of hierarchy exists for SUVs and pick-up trucks as well. Every manufacturer builds a vehicle to either define a market, to steal that same market away from someone else.

Originally Posted by DoomLight
the SC300/400 was designed as a Toyota for the Japanese Domestic Market. its a luxury sports car. not a loaded sedan. Toyota merely rebadged it as a Lexus. compared to the JDM car. our SC's were at least loaded by comparison. from what i can gather anyway. all USDM SC's had leather interior and sunroofs, the JDM ones had cloth interior. we had analogue gauges and JDM had digitial Clusters. JDM cars (like all Soarers) have had touch screen radio's with navigation, ours just had some funky Lexus premium Stereo. between the v8 and 6 cylinder models the most i can figure out was heated seats and traction control, to me which are inconsequential.

anyways back to the topic. the LS is a flagship car, the SC when it was on sale wasn't. just a sports coupe.
False.

The SC300/400 was designed in California (USA) to be a Lexus. As the LS400 was designed to be sold here in the U.S. against the big European manufacturers such as Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, etc...

Also, not every Japanese market Soarer had every option you mentioned. They were sold stripped down and loaded up.

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
ALL SC's (300 & 400) come with Traction Control and heated seats, they were just an option and so was the sun roof.
You are also wrong, or you don't understand what the term 'optional equipment' means. Yes, ALL SC300/400s had the option of leather/heated seats, traction control, and sunroofs (with some exceptions pertaining to model year), but not ALL SC300/400s came with these options.

Last edited by MongooseGA; 05-19-11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-20-11 | 02:59 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

You are also wrong, or you don't understand what the term 'optional equipment' means. Yes, ALL SC300/400s had the option of leather/heated seats, traction control, and sunroofs (with some exceptions pertaining to model year), but not ALL SC300/400s came with these options.[/QUOTE]

So you saying theres some Year that the SC was produced that didnt offer heated seats?? please tell me im wrong
Old 05-20-11 | 03:10 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

yep the SC did not get a lot of standard equipment...but the GS/LS did not get a sexy butt that would make any man want to leave their girlfriend.
Old 05-20-11 | 03:26 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaydee
yep the SC did not get a lot of standard equipment...but the GS/LS did not get a sexy butt that would make any man want to leave their girlfriend.
rofl. true! i dont have heated seats. but damn that *** is sweet.
Old 05-20-11 | 10:13 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
You are also wrong, or you don't understand what the term 'optional equipment' means. Yes, ALL SC300/400s had the option of leather/heated seats, traction control, and sunroofs (with some exceptions pertaining to model year), but not ALL SC300/400s came with these options.

So you saying theres some Year that the SC was produced that didnt offer heated seats?? please tell me im wrong[/QUOTE]

Yes those were options n never standard. Florida sc came with least options such as heated seats n traction because it is not needed there compare to the northern states. I brought a wreck 99 sc400. It didn't have both options n it was from Florida
Old 05-20-11 | 12:48 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

horent135, I believe it was a winter package - heated seats and traction control.
Old 05-20-11 | 12:57 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

i dont have heated seats nor do i need them in florida... i do have one touch windows but thats cause i spent 40 bucks and added them....if you want more accessories just add them its not hard...i have led lighting under each floor panel when i open my doors another well worth 30 bucks....im not saying the sc didnt get shafted but what do u expect from a 19 year old car ...my buddys new *** navigator doesnt even have auto steering wheel adjustment nor seat memory....he sat in my car and was like" what the hellwas that llabout?" lol... i love my sc.
Old 05-20-11 | 06:22 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Does any one know if SC ever came with navi stock?
Old 05-20-11 | 06:24 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by horent135
Does any one know if SC ever came with navi stock?
Only in the JDM models. Touch screen EMV.
Old 05-20-11 | 08:57 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

This is the factory EMV fitted to some Limiteds (like mine)
It controls A/C, radio, monitors fuel usage and economy etc...

... but the GPS tries to locate where I am on Japanese maps.
Old 05-20-11 | 09:01 PM
redforeva
Rookie

You can get english buttons for those

Quick Reply: SC's got shafted on standard equipment