should have made a buggy out of it
Old 05-18-11 | 09:36 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mak89
How much where you asking?
What is the process of parting out a car? I know every state probably varies
How much you think you'll make?
$2500 or trade for a Camry/Corolla (don't ask). Basic process of parting will be different for everyone but I always start with the interior. Then the exterior panels come off and then I start work on the engine bay accessories. After the engine is pretty picked over I put it up on jack stands and drop the suspension and engine/trans. All told, it usually takes me 2 weeks to strip a car by myself. Another six months to get rid of all the parts.

Originally Posted by k7q
haha what did you cut it up with? sawzall?
Sawzall FTW!
Old 05-18-11 | 10:06 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

this might sound dumb, but did you consider donating it for a tax write off? or giving it away to a broke kid going to college?
Old 05-18-11 | 10:13 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

do have experience working at a chop shop lol....
Old 05-18-11 | 10:30 PM
svagusta
Pit Crew

murderer!

10char
Old 05-18-11 | 10:43 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Haha this thread rocks! I was going to do this to a super super clean and rare galant vr-4 a couple of years ago but she got saved at the last min.

Many times you can get more than the asking price by parting them and I am glad to see that somebody followed through!
Old 05-18-11 | 10:52 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

So that's what you do when you have a hard time selling a car..... I always wondered before.
Old 05-18-11 | 10:53 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
this might sound dumb, but did you consider donating it for a tax write off? or giving it away to a broke kid going to college?
Not to sound like an *** but I'm not in a position to be giving cars away. I worked hard for the money to buy this car and I'm not about to give it away to some broke college kid or organization. I needed the money just as much as the next person so I did what I had to do to get what I could out of it.
Old 05-18-11 | 11:11 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

Originally Posted by schwarz
Not to sound like an *** but I'm not in a position to be giving cars away. I worked hard for the money to buy this car and I'm not about to give it away to some broke college kid or organization. I needed the money just as much as the next person so I did what I had to do to get what I could out of it.
with the way things are going. you did what you had to do. just wish i woulda caught you before you got rid of the parts. i think it's time for me to start collecting parts for just in case. if you would have made a write up on how to tear down the sc that'd have been super useful .
Old 05-18-11 | 11:58 PM
mEed
Pole Position

i would of bought the shell off of you =(
Old 05-19-11 | 12:03 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by mEed
i would of bought the shell off of you =(
I was going to say, someone would've take the shell. But you went ahead and ruined a perfectly good shell : /.
Old 05-19-11 | 12:15 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by schwarz
I don't mean to sound like an *** either, but if you do donate your car, they give you the value of the car as a tax write-off. So you get the tax write off, plus you feel good about donating the car to a charity. Most of which probably put the car up for auction and use the proceeds as their donation.

My dad did this with an old Minivan we had, needed a new head gasket, new tires soon, new brakes, etc and he wasn't about to pay for it since it had 275k miles on it, so he donated it to the local children's hospital and got a tax write-off, pretty good one too considering we probably couldn't even get $1000 for it if we tried to sell it.

But either way, you have your reasons for deciding the way you did
Old 05-19-11 | 01:23 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

thats just.... i dont even....dude that thing was clean.. what.... your car had less miles on it then mine and i treat my sc like a piece of gold. i agree some broke college kid would have gotten a lot of use out of that. in new england people give away old cars in the paper all the time and write it off on taxes. i scored a third gen accord like that and drove the hell out of it for 2 years. one mans trash is anothers treasure. this thread is depressing.
Old 05-19-11 | 06:45 AM
Launch1
Driver

Wow just wow. BTW how much were you asking for the car. I find it hard to believe nobody even made an offer in 6 months.
Old 05-19-11 | 07:00 AM
schwarz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Launch1
Wow just wow. BTW how much were you asking for the car. I find it hard to believe nobody even made an offer in 6 months.
2500. These cars are few and far between here so only a handful of people even expressed an interest in it. Best (semi-serious) offer I got was 1500 over 3 months in payments. Wasn't about to even take that on.

Quick Reply: extreme before and after