SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

is the lexus sc's good for a first car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 01:22 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Neal Rikal
for some reason i have trouble taking you seriously when you have that muppet wearing a helmet on your delio below your name...lol
Actually that's not a muppet. He's name is "Special Ed" and he's from Crank Yankers show on Comedy Central.
Old 09-08-02, 01:32 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An SC as a first car? I'm all for it but just be careful. My first car was a 95 SC which I still have I was 17. I just turned 17 and I got it and it brought so much attention. As soon as people at school found out I had a Lex they were all acting different. Especially if your parents buy it for you. If you're not a responsible driver this car will get you in a lot of trouble. Speed is no object for this car. Handle it with care. Its so hard to stay within the speed limit for me. It just gets up and goes. I almost got 2 tickets for speeding. Acutally I got one ticket and almost got another. They're not cheap either. If you know you're going to take care of it and drive responsibly than go for it. A lot of people will say things though. People at my internship found out I had my SC400 and they all acted so different after. Same with school. Calling me rich boy and saying I get everything I want. Doesnt bother me though because I love this car and it doesnt matter who got it for me or how much it cost long as I'm happy with it.

Like I said though if you're going to be resonisble and mature than go for it. I know how I was when I was 16...not much as changed but I learned that you have to respect this car because it can really get you in trouble.
Old 09-08-02, 01:40 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by jimmit
An SC as a first car? I'm all for it but just be careful. My first car was a 95 SC which I still have I was 17. I just turned 17 and I got it and it brought so much attention. As soon as people at school found out I had a Lex they were all acting different. Especially if your parents buy it for you. If you're not a responsible driver this car will get you in a lot of trouble. Speed is no object for this car. Handle it with care. Its so hard to stay within the speed limit for me. It just gets up and goes. I almost got 2 tickets for speeding. Acutally I got one ticket and almost got another. They're not cheap either. If you know you're going to take care of it and drive responsibly than go for it. A lot of people will say things though. People at my internship found out I had my SC400 and they all acted so different after. Same with school. Calling me rich boy and saying I get everything I want. Doesnt bother me though because I love this car and it doesnt matter who got it for me or how much it cost long as I'm happy with it.

Like I said though if you're going to be resonisble and mature than go for it. I know how I was when I was 16...not much as changed but I learned that you have to respect this car because it can really get you in trouble.
That's great, I just got a new ticket last Friday for speeding. The cops saw me doing a 100 mph on a turn and went after me; however, do to my excess speed they weren't able to catch me for the next 5 miles when I was going normal speed. They pulled me over just to check out my car and gave me a speeding ticket without writing the speed I was going. Hehehe. Few months ago I received a nice speeding ticket for going 120 mph on the highway. Ehh, no worries.
Old 09-08-02, 01:49 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

woa 120 that sucks

i've gone faster then that (sounds like you have too) but i try not to do it much because my parents would chop my nuggets off if i came home with a 120mph ticket. oh man that would be bad..
Old 09-08-02, 01:50 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

The problem isnt actually speeding. The problem comes in when you start to speed ALL the time and put other people live in danger too. When you're 16 you do some really stupid things. I'm not saying all 16 year olds do stupid things but most do. My insurance was cancelled because of my ticket and one accident. So you have to be careful about that stuff. You might think its a just one ticket but it can lead to insurance costing an arm and a leg. Tell you the truth tho this car was meant to be going at least 100MPH all the time. Its the funniest car to drive. Its so comfortable, luxurious, and easy to handle. IMO this car is probably the most perfect car ever built. It last prety much forever and its really reliable. If this car break or gets totalled I know my next car will be another SC. No doubt about it. Its so well built.
Old 09-08-02, 11:30 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Angry

Speaking of tickets...I think I cursed myself. After I posted that and left to go to my friends house I got a ticket for speeding. Like I said you just cant help it. This car was meant to go fast and no matter how hard you try it goes over the speed limit. Well I got 3 tickets with it though. Sucks. This car is a ticket magnet but not as bad as a red 5.0 liter mustang cobra. Those guys have to pay so much for insurance. I think I'm gonna loose my car though

Anyone interesting?

Just kidding I dont know for sure if I have to sell it. I really dont want to but I might not have any say in it.

Like I said before though, be responsible. Dont drive over the speed limit like me. Its hard and for me damn near impossible. Anyways good luck with finding you car. I'm sure it'll be nice. SC's are the finest Lexus you can get. I would never get any other Lexus if I had a SC.
Old 09-09-02, 02:37 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, be careful.
Im 22 an I was chasing my friends this weekend in their rx7, trans am, and wrx. Needless to say I was the slowest in my sc400. I hit an off ramp with them at 80 something miles per hour. My car started to slide out. Luckily, I think my Michelins A/S helped. If that same situation happened in high school, I would have freaked out and locked the brakes and be off the road or dead. I now know I cant keep up with my friends' cars so Im not gonna bother racing them anymore. If I were in high school, I would have been pissed and tried over and over again until I either won or died.
Old 09-09-02, 03:23 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Hey I'm 17 and I have a 95 sc400 and its a tight car, but what everyone is saying is right, i have done some very stupid things with my car and i really regreat them now, but once u undesatnd that u can't do stupid things with this car, and u have to be careful with it. But as long as your paying for it then I don’t think ur gonna be doing stupid **** to it because u'll have to pay for it to be fixed. I take mine to school everyday and nothing has happened yet (knock on wood) but there is always gonna be those haters out there. So it’s up to u but if u do buy a sc you won’t regret it.

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 09-09-02 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-09-02, 12:39 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I think it really matters on the way you drive, what type of high school you go to, and how you treat others. Back when I was in high school, majority of the kids drove cars that were fairly old and cheap, no one really cared if i drove either of my parents Lexus to school, cuz i treated everyone nicely and no one wanted to mess with my cars. But if you do get a Lex, i hope you're a responsible driver, cuz they are expensive to repair if you crash. And whether people think its apporpriate or not for us teens to drive nice cars, well thats really none of their business, it's between you and your parents.
Old 09-09-02, 06:42 PM
LeXpHeNe
Driver

hey man listen your are im sure gonna be working your a$$ off to buy your car. i sure hope u get that sc300-400. very very nice car my dad used to own a 99 burgandy 400.that car like jimmit says cannot be driven slow.it begs to be driven at 90+mph. no way in hel can u go wrong if u buy the lex.very very dependable if they maintained correctly.make sure u take care of it man its a sexy car.jimmit damn man i feel sorry for ya but im 18 i used to drive a 99 trans am convt.beautiful car insanely fast. do u notice how i said i "USED" to drive it. got a tickect and later on got in an accident.got caught to many times doing doughnut and peel outs from stop lights and might i say "trying to drift round corners". to many young people do stupid things man.take it from the older people cuz they know from experiance. all that wreckless driving might be fun but it gets you nowhere other than jail,debt,worst of all death,and pain and suffering for friends and family.jimmit man be careful i knwo what its like,dont end up like me
Old 09-09-02, 06:49 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

I dont know if its a really good 1st car. My 1st car was a 1986 BMW 528e. weighed like 5000lbs and had like 120hp. The thing was a piece. I believe people should start out with a not so nice car. Even if they only drive it aroud for 6 months. Then, when you do get a nice car you will have alot of respect and appreciation for it. If my lexus was my 1st i GUARANTEE i would of wrecked it, just like i did my bmw.
Old 09-09-02, 07:24 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Lexphene I totally agree. This car does beg to be driven fast and like you said driving wreckless might be fun but it wont get you anywhere but places you dont want to be. I cant stree enough how important it is to be responsible and have lots of respect for this car. I regret getting that ticket. I dont even know if I can get insurance anymore. Be young but dont things young teens do. I pretty much ruined my car by peeling out every chance I got and drifting at every turn at the fastest possible speed I could hit. I consider myself lucky. That car has been through a lot and surivived which REALLY amazes me. No other car could have taken that kind of beating. The car is almost like new again. A few things still need to be fixed but after I get enough money for it all I'll treat this car like its my baby. If you do get a SC you'll see exactly what we all mean. No matter what car you get though especially if its a fast one dont do stupid things. Theres really no reason for it.
Old 09-09-02, 07:59 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can be a good car if you can control yourself and not get wreckless or overconfident in it. First time drivers tend to drive cars real hard. It could be a Geo Metro, but you'll still redline it, spin donuts, brake stands, hard cornering, hard acceleration, and probably hard braking as if you were driving an M3. My first was a slow *** 2000 Camry CE. Couldn't get in too much trouble with that car, but I did still manage to collect three tickets with it. If you have to money to maintain it, then I don't see why not. Just don't flaunt your car at age 16----that's how you get jacked.
Old 09-12-02, 11:39 PM
thuglife
Driver School Candidate

i dunno if i want the car anymore i dont think 9.50 a hour is enough. i might get my brothers honda prelude.you know its like htey say preludes are a poor mans lexus.thanks anyways, i dont think i can hadle a lexus, i always get the erge to floor the ****.besides everybody will be talking all that stuff at my school if i get a lexus.iam not the type of person whos rich,iam more of a ghetto guy and i asian so i have to have a pimped out honda.
Old 09-12-02, 11:57 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Well if thats what you would be happy with than go for it. I still think a Lexus is a great car that is VERY reliable and dependable. A honda prelude is a great choice too. I like the last gen preludes but some people make them too ricey. Its a nice little fast though. Maybe you should consider a acura legend. That may be up your alley too. I've always been a big fan of legend too. Another great car and good competitor for the SC's.

Quick Reply: is the lexus sc's good for a first car?