SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

is the lexus sc's good for a first car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 12:29 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I think the manual transmission in an SC would be pretty challenging for a new driver. It's challenging for me and I have 15 years experience driving manuals.

The cars themselves are very reliable if you get one that's in good shape to start with. I've been told that the SC300 is generally more reliable than the SC400, but that might be a matter of preference.

For a new driver, be VERY careful with the rear-wheel drive in this car, particularly in older models without traction control (like mine). I'm accustomed to RWD drives like this, but they do NOT drive like FWD and you cannot control them the same way in an emergency.

My car slides out very easily, and the right rear wheel always cuts loose first, which makes controlling it difficult if you're going fast or on a slick surface. On ice it would be pure hell unless you knew what you were doing. One thing you can do is get GOOD, STICKY TIRES, and get the widest ones you can.

Ditto what folks said about "panic reactions". Inexperienced drivers often do exactly the wrong thing in a RWD car because it's counter-intuitive.

If you get this car, take some emergency driving courses from your local sheriff or car club. It will be worth it.

Ral

Last edited by RalAegidius; 09-13-02 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-13-02, 01:41 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by jimmit
Well if thats what you would be happy with than go for it. I still think a Lexus is a great car that is VERY reliable and dependable. A honda prelude is a great choice too. I like the last gen preludes but some people make them too ricey. Its a nice little fast though. Maybe you should consider a acura legend. That may be up your alley too. I've always been a big fan of legend too. Another great car and good competitor for the SC's.
Acura Legend a comptetitor? You have to be kidding me. Acura Legend is much less reliabile not to mention a front wheel drive car with an engine that doesn't have a great potential. Acura Legend is an Honda economy car made more luxurious. Honda Prelude is still a Honda.
Old 09-13-02, 11:57 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

When I said competitor I couldnt think of the word I just remembered now. Its pretty much in the same class meaning it seems like hes looking for a 2 door sports coupe. SC prelude and legend. I didnt meant the legend was like an SL500 and SC400. I know I said competitor like its in the same class but well I think you get what I'm saying now By the way. Dont drive an SC in the rain or snow....especially if you have no traction control like mines. You wont have any control over the car on turns and acceleration. You have to accelerate really softly and carefull so the wheels dont spin out of control. Sometime in rain here the lights are on a little hill so when you try to accelerate from a dead stop the wheels spin like crazy and the car starts to drift to the side. After about 5 or 6 months you get used to it but just becareful. I almost lost control on a turn from a stop sign. I regained control but I noticed on turns on wet roads you have to go like 2 MPH. On dry roads the car handles pretty nicely but if it rains a lot there like it does here in florida than becareful. Its kinda fun to know your pressing the accelerator down but the car is going absolutely no where. Its actually a really weird feeling if you've never done it before. Overall this is a great car like everyone else here will say from expereience. Once you get Lexus you never go back. Trust me.
Old 09-13-02, 05:38 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

you people need some new tires. lol i don't have those traction problems. you make the car sould like its running on bicycle wheels...
Old 09-13-02, 08:11 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Neal Rikal
you people need some new tires. lol i don't have those traction problems. you make the car sould like its running on bicycle wheels...
I was just thinking the same thing. When I had the 16" rims and nice doughnat tires I had no problems in rain or snow or even ice (not more than most cars). I never spinned out and never lost control driving normally.
Old 09-13-02, 08:56 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Neal Rikal
The OEM wheels practically ARE bicycle wheels. Mine are 215/60-15 and the car swishes like crazy in the rain.

That's why I'm getting bigger wheels and going 245/40-18.

Ral
Old 09-14-02, 01:15 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I bet Em has to beat guys of with a stick - regardless of her ride!
Old 10-24-02, 10:50 AM
danielribo
Driver School Candidate

My first car was a Soarer/SC300 and it couldn't have been a better choice.
I always felt that the first car should be a reliable one, and you can't go wrong with a Toyota.
As for driving, it's up to you to decide how you want to be. If you want to speed and drive dangerously, do it as long as your under control. I will freely admit to speeding when I first got my licence, but I had been racing cars for 8 years before that. I know a few people that destroyed beautiful cars and ruined their driving records by going beyond the limits of their ability. Everyone has a limit, the trick is to find it and stay on the right side.
If your worried about people damaging it, just remember that they will prob love it as much as you do, so if you don't act like your too good for them, everything will be fine. All my school mates knew that I worked really hard for about 5 years before I could afford that car, and respected me for that. Had my parents bought it for me, perhaps that would have been different...
Old 10-24-02, 12:38 PM
jwar
Driver

Sounds like this guy wants something decent.
A really fun and reasonably reliable car is a 91 mr2 turbo. That was my first car, it was very fast (0-60 in 5.9.)
You can get them cheap and fix them up so that they're really nice.
Old 10-24-02, 12:57 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about some of the comments made.

The Acura Legend Coupe is absolutely a competitor to the SC.
They are both reliable Luxury coupes. I don't know where you get that non-reliable info from because Legends are well made (built in Japan) and one of the most reliable models ever built by Honda. Compare a '95 Legend to a '03 TL and you'll see the much better quality, refinement and worksmanship in the 8 year older car than the American made new counterpart.
There's also a Legend that was used as a taxi that got nearly 500k miles on it. It could've kept on going but was bought out by an Acura dealership to place on their showroom floor to show how long Acura's last.

Non-competitor? In fact, the SC was built, marketed and targeted straight at the Legend Coupe in the early '90s by Toyota (Legends were release earlier in '91 b4 SC debuted in '92).
You can make an argument that the SC4 was not, since it's got a V8. But the SC3 sure was. By '93, the Legends' Type II engine had 230hp with a 6spd. It could outrun both the SC3 5spd and the SC4 (250hp).
Sure, it's drawback is it's FWD, no argument about that here.
Now, compare the luxury, pound for pound, the Legend has pretty much all the luxury that the SC had - sometimes more.
I know, cuz I've owned both. One of the luxuries I miss the most is the steering wheel audio controls, i don't know how the SC not have that
Price wise, by '95, the top of the line Legend Coupe was as much as $45-$50k.
Other than the FWD vs RWD argument and that Legend's still a Honda (Like a SC's not a Toyota?), I see no reason why the Legend coupe is not a direct competitor to the SC.

P.S. I've actually had less problems in my Legend (167k miles) in 3 years than I've got in my SC (55k miles) in 1. However, all problems were minimal and easy minor stuff - testment to the reliablity of both cars.

Last edited by Legends6spd; 10-24-02 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-24-02, 09:59 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

my friend had an '89 Legend Coupe sittin outside right now- 230k+ miles and no problems whatsover its quite amazing

on my '95 SC400 97k miles, recently my tailight warning light flases on everyonce in a while, the guage needles flicker if I turn up the brightness, my trunk pop isnt working... thats it so far

my first car was an '89 Nissan 240SX with a fully built SR20DET in it wish I could have kept it that car was amazing

next car- Nissan Maxima and then I just picked up the Lexus SC400

Lexus brings me alot of attention some of it I dont want, I dont feel very comfortable leavin gmy cars outside both the Maxima and Lexus are pretty nice cars for someone my age to have- people will always get jealous especially HS aged and College kids

getting a cheaper car gives you alot of freedom, as long as it is reliable

may I suggest a Maxima
Old 10-24-02, 10:23 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget about those Legend Coupe Doors!!! How come no one talks about those doors!!!!! and the rear windows that go down....
Old 10-25-02, 01:50 AM
projectsc
Pole Position

I forget how many years back but my dads friend owns a honda dealership and at the time owned acura and he wanted to get a lexus dealership but Lexus wouldn't do it because Acura was their competitor.
Old 10-25-02, 03:36 AM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

My $.02 ...

Basically, it comes down to money. If your rents are sportin' the cash with the car, insurance, and maintenance, then it would be a sweet-@$$ ride.

However, if you're trying to support the car by only making $9.50/hr assuming 20 hrs/wk, save that dough for something else, dude. I was warned before getting my SC400 about the insurance and maintenance costs, but I was still shocked when I got the actual numbers. There are much better things to blow your hard earned cash on than insurance payments and 90-120-150K maintenance. Of course if you're gonna just buy a Lex and run it into the ground, I think there are much crappier cars for that purpose. Aight... payce.
Old 10-30-02, 10:53 PM
thuglife
Driver School Candidate

Default prelude sh 70000 miles

this is what i baught from my brother after he got the new accord v6, too bad i couldnt find a cheap sc300 with stick.but i think this prelude sh is faster. It has aem intake and apexi exhaust for $14000.
pics here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/53836661yIWvtU

Last edited by thuglife; 10-30-02 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: is the lexus sc's good for a first car?