SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 07:26 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally like the vents on the veilside cars, i think that would look nice on a sc. i will probably be in if we can get something like that. i feel that there needs to be more discussion on this subject before i tell you that im in for sure.

Kevin

heres the veilside style on a supra. i think it would look great on sc's
Attached Thumbnails Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy-suprahood2.jpg  
Old 09-08-02, 09:40 PM
sc300lover
Driver School Candidate

Bad news. Sorry guys I'm not going to be in on this one. Wifey has other plans for my money I guess and I don't technically have a SC yet so I guess I can't argue how much I need it.... I'll let you know if anything changes though guys..

Wish you guys lots of luck with this group buy. $395.00 is a great price for a vented hood.
Old 09-08-02, 10:04 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default air flow

In regards to the first air flow diagram, many Japanese tuners lift the rears of the hood with washers to vent the trapped air. I haven't seen it done on an sc but just wanted to mention the idea.
Old 09-09-02, 12:56 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: air flow

Originally posted by Deceptik1
In regards to the first air flow diagram, many Japanese tuners lift the rears of the hood with washers to vent the trapped air. I haven't seen it done on an sc but just wanted to mention the idea.

HMMMM........ very interesting....

Kevin
Old 09-09-02, 02:54 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

I called Class Glass today and they said the predrilled holes for the windshield washers are optional at no extra charge. They won’t be put in unless you ask. Also for the fiberglass hoods they come with a clear gel coat so they’re ready to be painted and installed.

For company info and pics of hoods they currently have available here’s the website. http://www.classglassperformance.com/
Old 09-09-02, 03:33 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

they look like they do good work, when we decide what style then ill go in. any votes for the veilside style?!

Kevin
Old 09-09-02, 04:21 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be in if the hood is conservative. I don't really want any attention but would like some weight savings.
Old 09-09-02, 07:22 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

i'll slap my cash down for the veilside style kevin thats got the best of both worlds.
Old 09-09-02, 09:51 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neal Rikal
i'll slap my cash down for the veilside style kevin thats got the best of both worlds.
fo sheezy! thats 2 for the veilside!

Kevin
Old 09-09-02, 10:54 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

I found another angle of the Veilside. It does seem to have an exotic look to me and I don’t think it’s to wild for a SC without ground effects. (Though they would help!) Do you guys think these vents are properly placed according to Neal’s diagrams? Remember we can change the angle, depth, and location of the vents to our liking. Personally I’d like to have an incoming vent right above my K&N air filter but I think another vent on each side would be over crowding.

Verylost, would it need to be more conservative for you to be interested?

I’m a little surprised this thread isn’t getting more attention. I may send PM’s to some of the members on the SC forum who I think would be interested also.

Also just a note that they can make anything from custom fenders to full ground effects packages if we have the buyers. But that’s for another time and a different GB!
Attached Thumbnails Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy-veilside1.jpg  
Old 09-09-02, 11:25 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

people have given up on this topic because of how many times it has fallen through.

P.S. that hood is off the hook and yes the airflow would be good. Air flowing through the front grill and through radiator and fan and out reverse vent which would suck cold air right across the top of a cold air intake-sweet-. Also the leauvered vents or however you spell that interesting big word would allow the heat on top of the engine to dissipate.

All i can say is that i want that hood.

Last edited by Neal Rikal; 09-09-02 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-10-02, 12:00 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the VA/MD area and I would be interested in the GB.
However, it totally depend on the design of the hood, I want something subtle and conservative rather than something flashy and ricey

I also have 2 questions:

1. What's the difference between fiber-glass and carbon fiber. Please explain the material and functional difference. Why the drastic price difference..etc?

2. How much is it to paint the 'unpainted' fiberglass hood? and how much to install it? or how easy is it to install it yourself?'

Thanks.
Old 09-10-02, 12:15 AM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

umm fiberglass is made of fiberglass..... you know the material that they make the body of lamborghini's with. yeah that stuff. Umm carbon fiber is woven composite material and clearcoated to make it smooth. Carbon fiber hoods usually weight approx 30 lbs just like the fiberglass so their isn't necessarily a weight difference. I know some people prefer the look of carbon fiber but i consider it "ricey." Also to anyone who dosn't know what your black carbon fiber hood is will take it for a new hood that you could not afford to paint.

Cost of a paint job will vary from 200 to 500 on your hood i would guess. This of course depends on the shop you find and number of coats of paint and clearcoat.

Last edited by Neal Rikal; 09-10-02 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-10-02, 12:21 AM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

Cost of installation is a good question but i don't see it being much. I will install mine myself, i have never done it but i have a way of jumping into things with cars and finding out how to do it. Tell you what you put up some cash and buy that veilside style hood and i'll get mine painted and installed the day after i get it because i have mad hookups at a paint shop and i'll post pics of how to install it. Deal?

Last edited by Neal Rikal; 09-10-02 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-10-02, 01:55 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

lets get this ball rollin! i want that hood! lets get some people!

Kevin

Quick Reply: Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy