SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-02, 04:25 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my already dark colored car, I'm not really worried about painting the hood, I think it would look really nice with a bodykit. I'll buy a CF hood, but not 'glass because I want the CF look and strength.
Old 09-10-02, 12:11 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neal,

Thanks for the explaination. I personally would probably want the fiberglass version as I too think the CF is a bit ricey on the SC.
Is it fair to assume the fiberglass will look just like a STOCK hood after being painted?
Also, the term 'glass' worries me a tad. As mentioned above by Max, is it not strong? Will it break or dent more easily?
Before I jump the gun here, I really need to find a good paint shop here. I'm a car detailing fanatic, Zaino user and Autopia member. I'd hate to have a repainted hood that looks like crap and doesn't match with rest of the body. Unless I find a good paint shop that doesn't wanna charge me an arm and a leg just cuz its' a "Lexus", I can't give you a definite yet.
Plus, I'm still wavering on the design. I'd like to see some more choices. A couple of them seem a bit extreme for me.

Last edited by Legends6spd; 09-10-02 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-10-02, 12:44 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Is this one for real, or no? Very tired of having my time wasted.......
Old 09-10-02, 01:22 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

if those vents really do something, screw conservative.
but I am the type that does not want attention especially from cops. but I do want weight savings.
if the hoo
Old 09-10-02, 04:40 PM
outofstep
Driver School Candidate

A carbon fiber hood that weighs 30 pounds?! Did they sneak some lead into it or sumthing?

Carbon fiber is the way to go. Much stronger, much lighter.
Old 09-10-02, 04:57 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

I think I need to rephrase the info about the carbon fiber. Ok, the fiberglass hood will weight between 20-30lbs. It is the same material as your bumper and fenders. It will be just as strong. There are 2 types of carbon fiber hoods available. The First is a fiberglass coated with a skin of carbon fiber. It is then clear coated to prevent wear. The Second is pure carbon fiber and will weigh approx. 10-15lbs. It however is recommend for race applications only. It needs to be held done by hood pins. If you would like the pure CF I will look into a price for you. I’m going to contact several body shops to give you guys a definite price of installation and painting.

Chris
Old 09-10-02, 05:03 PM
outofstep
Driver School Candidate

10-15 is a much better range for carbon fiber. Heh, I thought something was abit off. Racing applications only? Why? Because you have to use hood pins? I would use hoodpins on any aftermarket hood anyways. Seen too many aftermarket hoods blow up/off without pins on.

Until ferrari decides to make f60 bodies out of fiberglass, my choice will always be carbonfiber.
Old 09-10-02, 06:16 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I can just see me on I-5 with the "race only" hood and little pieces of it tearing off here and there....
Old 09-10-02, 06:36 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

legend, as far as the paint matching that has alot to do with the condition of your current body paint. You say your a body detail freak so i'm assuming its close to new. So if you find a decent body shop then you should be able to get a nice match.
Old 09-12-02, 08:16 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

I’ve been out of town for the last couple days so I didn't get a chance to reply. It seems like we’ve got enough interested to go for it. The final style will be the veilside as shown in the previous pages. I will need as many pics of the hood as we can get. You can send them to chris__taylor@hotmail.com if you like.

I think there are still some members on the edge. Remember all it takes is 4 others to make it happen! I’ve look through the group buys in the past and I feel they fell through because the prices were not as good and they needed more people to have the mold made.

If you have any concerns that haven’t been addressed well enough, let’s clear them up now before the GB starts. I’m going to contact several body shops in different areas to give you guys a very good idea of the cost of installation and painting. Again you won’t need the full amount for at least a month. And even though I won’t be handing any of the money directly you can see I'm legit by checking out my eBay seller’s record here. http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...userid=cat1241

Here’s Class Glasses website again just incase some members skipped the second page! www.classglassperformance.com

Chris
Old 09-12-02, 09:27 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

IM IN...

i havent decided whether or not i want the one coated in carbon fiber or if it would be cheaper to get the fiberglass one and paint it... but im in for sure!!

Kevin

SO COME ON ONLY 3 MORE!!!

Last edited by lexcoupe; 09-12-02 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-12-02, 09:33 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

heres a pic of the underside of the hood we want.
Attached Thumbnails Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy-24598485qvgyrrdogx_ph.jpg  
Old 09-12-02, 09:39 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

If it's quality in fit and construction and is mild enough in style, without needing hood pins, i'm in for sure, would like to see a CF hood actually happen....
Old 09-12-02, 10:01 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

The mold will be taken from an actual SC hood so the fitment will be exactly like OEM. The only style that requires hood pins is the pure carbon fiber (which is the one I don’t have a price listed yet). Lex Luthor do you regard the veilside as a mild enough style? I think just a couple more encouraging comments and I’ll contact manaray to make it official. I believe more members may step forward once they see it’s a real group buy.

Chris
Old 09-13-02, 02:36 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Evo, thx for asking, to be honest I was looking for just the center vent, but if the others want those two smaller vents as well, then it looks like i'll be outvoted, doesn't mean i wouldn't still buy it, just waiting for all the details to get ironed out.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy