SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 02:58 PM
NathanWesterfield
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put me down for one. Let me know when to send the money.
Old 09-15-02, 03:30 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

Thanks LS400, you have a PM. I just want to get a few details finialized before the GB starts. Ok, I have some new info. I spent some time this weekend talking with Class Glass and I’d like to make a couple updates.

First the price of the PURE Carbon Fiber will be $900. They are constructed with 2 layers of CF with a material similar to tissue paper in between. They are lightweight, very strong, and durable. That’s why so many people with race applications use them. Also to slightly change what was stated before: I spoke with another designer and he said they are fine for street applications as long as the owner is ok with using hood pins. You will just have to deal with them every time you open the hood.

Second the Veilside design is completely doable! However since they do not have those vents ‘on file’, they will have to be custom made. This means that before we can start the GB I have to spend the next couple days ensuring we will have a hood for the mold. For this they’ll have to cut into an OEM hood and make the vents in it. I hope that I can bargain with a salvage yard to loan one for about 6 weeks. Once the hoods are complete I will have to give them my hood that’s on my car now. I am willing to do this since it has to happen but the price per hood may go up $25 depending on how many buyers we have. Also before I buy one to do this, we will have to have the $100 deposits made.

I will keep you guys updated!
Chris

Last edited by EvoTuned; 09-15-02 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-15-02, 04:19 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I get a hood made without vents?
Old 09-15-02, 05:52 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

verylost the only way a non-vented hood could be done is to have a second mold made. It’s possible but you must have 5 buyers up front and at least have the interest of many more buyers. The company doesn’t give an $800 mold away for Free unless you can convince them there’s a market (which I have done for the vented). Unfortunately, with my schedule I don't have the time to put together a second GB for the non-vented but if you would like I could send you the info to do so. However my personal opinion is if you are going to make this kind of investment in an item for your car you should be able to show it off!
Old 09-15-02, 06:37 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Lets get going!
Old 09-15-02, 10:12 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I want this hood ,but I'll settle for which ever one you guys decide to make even though I don't really like the extra vents on the Veilside.
Attached Thumbnails Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy-d1.jpg  
Old 09-16-02, 05:46 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

that hood looks chopped to me? but maybe its just my eyes. but im ready to buy anytime. CF coated for me. lets get this GB moving!

Kevin
Old 09-16-02, 06:19 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default CF

That blue car's hood doesn't even line up correctly. Look at the front lip. Hmmm...something to think about.
Old 09-16-02, 08:41 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Actually, he may just have the base of his pins a little too high, that bonnet can be used with the oe latch assy, and i've been told that the fitment is better than in that pic, i've spoken with the CEO of the company that manufactures them, if you call it speaking, his English was practically nonexistent.....

- LL
Old 09-16-02, 08:57 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

I would not mind that hood.
Its pretty clean and subtle.
Old 09-16-02, 10:05 PM
skiollyp
Driver School Candidate

Default Like the hood ideas

I am very interested in the hoods you guys have picked out. As long the the SC lines to the headlights are on the Veilside I am in for a hood
Old 09-16-02, 11:26 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Evo,
Why dont we start a poll on which hood is the best?

by the way, where are you located. I am in Maryland and would be free to check out the shops with you. Probably make the members feel better knowing theres a second unbiased review on the places.
Old 09-17-02, 12:25 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, I remember posts long ago about water collecting in the engine. Can we position these vents away from stuff that may be damaged?
Old 09-17-02, 12:27 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

verylost is verytrue
Old 09-17-02, 12:45 AM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

same problem with all vented hoods, you have to cover the vents from the inside when its raining.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interested for Vented Fiberglass or CF Hood Group Buy