SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Window issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 03:47 PM
npsc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window issue

Hey everyone. So I've had an issue with my windows since I bought the car. Neither of the windows work, and the switch just makes a buzzing noise. I did a quick diagnosis at work, and the motors are good, but I didn't feel like looking so far into it for a bad wire because the switch tries to work (buzzing noise). The door locks and power mirrors work. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, or if anyone has a master window switch for sale. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-20-11, 03:50 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if there is power leaving the switch to the motor then it isn't the switch did you check the guides for the window regulator? only things to affect that area would be the switch, power going to the switch, power going to the motor from the switch and the regulator
Old 05-20-11, 04:22 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cbrasian
if there is power leaving the switch to the motor then it isn't the switch did you check the guides for the window regulator? only things to affect that area would be the switch, power going to the switch, power going to the motor from the switch and the regulator
IIRC, the ground path for both driver and passenger window function is sourced through the master switch too, so you kinda have to see if it's the switch or the wiring to/from the switch. If it's wiring, it's usually in and around the hinge area of the doors.
Old 05-20-11, 04:24 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

i already checked the wiring on mine, there is no damage or fraying to the wires at all and my window switch is doing the same noise and problem. im actually in the middle of having the door panel off looking at everything now.
Old 05-20-11, 04:25 PM
Tret
Pole Position

I've had a "similar" situation to on my driver's-side window. The window just stopped rolling up (and down sometimes). There was power and all with the switch just like you have right now. My issue was fixed when I went to the glass place to get my front windshield replaced. The guy Basically helped my window go down then WD-40 the track. You could TRY that. It may or not work for your issue.

If not then I believe there are a few window regulator DiYs stickied up top.

*Edit: Make sure if the window happens to cooperate. That you help it up and down to soak the edges so they can move on their own with no help. you get to have fun and "play with the windows like a kid" again lol

Last edited by Tret; 05-20-11 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added some text
Old 05-20-11, 05:00 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Forgive my double posts guys, but I have some pictures and a fare WARNING to ALLWiTE2JZ.

CAUTION: IF YOU'RE GOING TO TRY TO GET UNDER THE WINDOW WITH THE DOOR PANEL OFF BE CAREFUL. THE AUTO-DOWN WINDOW WILL NOT BE FORGIVING IF YOUR ARM IN IS THE WAY AND ON THE WAY DOWN.PLEASE USE CAUTION IF YOUR WINDOW DOES HAPPEN TO MOVE DOWN OR YOU GET IT WORKING.

I was trying to "help" my window down that way but swiftly moved my arm haha. Anywho, here are the pictures of where to WD-40 in case there are any questions. Good luck.

Old 05-20-11, 05:33 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ALLWiTE2JZ
i already checked the wiring on mine, there is no damage or fraying to the wires at all and my window switch is doing the same noise and problem. im actually in the middle of having the door panel off looking at everything now.
There is a fairly straightforward troubleshooting section in the FSM for the power window operation. It should let you verify the switch is sound. Also, you can look at a wiring schematic and figure out which pins to short in the master switch connector to operate the windows up and down. When you "cheat" around it and it works, that pretty much assures that you've got a bad switch.
Old 05-20-11, 05:34 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

I guess I'll try to replace the window switch all together and if that doesnt work then I dont know what to do. This is really irritating because both of my windows on my SC just randomly stopped working one day, I doubt its a window regulator or anything because they were rolling up and down just fine with no problem beforehand. Now they just randomly decided to stop working. I just think its the window switch at this point for my issue, since the wiring and everything else behind the door panel looked fine to me. There wasn't any damage back there. I checked all the fuses on the car too, nothing is bad. I just think the actual window switch went bad from being used for 17-18 years straight (my SC is a 94).
Old 05-20-11, 11:15 PM
npsc400
Driver School Candidate

Same. There seems to be no issue with the wiring, and the switch usually buzzes meaning it has power and ground. The windows used to work once in a while going down, but usually not up, causing me to believe its not WD-40 related. And also this makes me doubt there's any problems in the hinge, or wiring at all. i tried swapping it with a junkyard switch and it made the same noise, which is why I'm asking if anyone has had this concern. I work at a Toyota dealership and no one has had this issue, not even customers with sc's.
Old 05-21-11, 12:14 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Yeah I too find it really hard to find help around this forum these days.
Old 05-21-11, 09:34 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ALLWiTE2JZ
Yeah I too find it really hard to find help around this forum these days.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6405787-post7.html