SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

curiosity broke the wallet.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 06:22 AM
MR_Clean
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line is you are going to have to spend a lot of money to get an N/A motor to make power. Unless you open the motor, drop in some high compression pistons and do some nice headwork you are not going to make much. I dont think that 250 is unreachable with a full exhaust system, some minor port work and a good tune but the money you'd spend to build the head and get the port work done would cost you more then a turbo kit would and leave you with less power and more work in the end.

I am +1 on Nitrous. Get something to tweak your fuel maps, adjust your timing and shoot a 100 shot. With a full exhaust and intake that would put you over 250 ....At least for a couple seconds.
Old 05-21-11, 09:54 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bleedspeed

for what 30 hp and no chance of a 5 speed no ty i will take my chances with the i6. ....

OK...well, you did say you want to stay NA and you've got an automatic but want a manual, so a 5spd swap would be necessary either way. You haven't said whether your 250hp target was at the crank or the wheels; good luck with an NA 2jz if you meant whp.

After reading your original post again, I am agreeing with this:

... i do not know as much about performance as i would like to ...
One way to get there is to listen to what people are saying
Old 05-21-11, 10:08 AM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

why do you say not in cali? because im in texas and we have pretty strict emisions hear as well? gotta be able to smog clean.
I live in texas and I passed smog with my 1jz swap no problem.
Old 05-21-11, 11:18 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

MKIV TT auto diff also adds plenty of hp
Old 05-21-11, 11:43 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and it feels heavier in the front end.
Might want to rethink this...
Old 05-21-11, 12:39 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock for stock SC400 is a WAYYY faster car than a SC300...Raced a few friends with SC300 stock for stock and there is no comparison...I was halfway down the block and 2-3 car lengths ahead..The extra TORQUE makes a huge difference...We were shocked at the results as well, him being a 5 speed and all..
Old 05-21-11, 01:20 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

well i certainly wont argue that i just dont know much about performance..lol.and in fact the few sc400;s i drove were pos. so i could see where i am wrong in that. none the less i like the v6 i am not worried about racing speed IE nitrous. i really like cornering and apexing more then anything. i dont have to hit 250 hp either in fact i have never driven a car with that much power.my last car before the sc was an acura vigor 5 speed i believe it was around 176 hp or close to that but i really miss the way that car drove in comparison to the sc. i think all my needs would be met by an 2jzgte. from what i read on the wiki the latest model put out 320 hp. in a stock state. im sure that i would exceed my desires. though finding one may be a little harder then the vvti. in the end i know this will take a lot of learning and money. thanks for the input.
Old 05-21-11, 02:18 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

[about the SC400] ...and it feels heavier in the front end.
You... do realize that the 1UZ-FE is a lighter engine than the 2JZ-GE, right?
Old 05-21-11, 03:06 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

well i certainly wont argue that i just dont know much about performance..lol.

... none the less i like the v6

... in the end i know this will take a lot of learning and money. thanks for the input.
No problem.

btw, you were right the first time; the 2jz is an i6, not a v6.
Old 05-21-11, 06:29 PM
lexus95
Driver

i really like cornering and apexing more then anything..
If thats what you like then get a sc400. Do a 5 speed swap on it and do some suspension work. Also, just to clear things up, the 1uz is lighter than the 2jz because the 1uz has an alluminum block where as the 2jz has a cast iron one.
Old 05-21-11, 06:41 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you want power out of an NA you need, cams, higher compression, bigger injectors, and deck the head and block for more compression. increase that compression for more power. im sure its possible to hit 250. if a little corolla 4age can hit 200 hp this should seriously be no problem. id love to build an NA
SON
Old 05-21-11, 06:54 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just about 2k in my turbo setup and my numbers are in my sig. I did all the work myself and my car is fast as ****. Its an auto and it is just fine. Swap, IMO, is foolish.
Old 05-21-11, 07:13 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
if you want power out of an NA you need, cams, higher compression, bigger injectors, and deck the head and block for more compression. increase that compression for more power. im sure its possible to hit 250. if a little corolla 4age can hit 200 hp this should seriously be no problem. id love to build an NA
SON
see now thats what im talking about! i new there was a way but of course this is probably a very expensive solution am i right?
Old 05-21-11, 07:17 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lookEVO
I have just about 2k in my turbo setup and my numbers are in my sig. I did all the work myself and my car is fast as ****. Its an auto and it is just fine. Swap, IMO, is foolish.
that sounds pretty sick! but i would go for a manual swap on top of this. its just not a sports car without a 5 or 6 speed. 2k shii thats good to know man. i was thinking it would take 6k to go turbo. thanks! i am going to do some research into these cheap turbos.
Old 05-21-11, 07:23 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus95
If thats what you like then get a sc400. Do a 5 speed swap on it and do some suspension work. Also, just to clear things up, the 1uz is lighter than the 2jz because the 1uz has an alluminum block where as the 2jz has a cast iron one.
impressive that its lighter with 2 more cylinders. but alas i was always told that cast iron is more reliable and less likely to crack. call me thick headed but i will never give into an sc400. unless someone sells me one already swapped to manual. the I6 is prettier like i said all the 400s i drove were beat to ish. so it left me with a lot of doubt.

Quick Reply: curiosity broke the wallet.