SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Supra TT Rims Polish Project.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 04:49 AM
DFab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great so far man! Keep up the good work!
Old 05-26-11, 05:57 AM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I know where you're coming from. You'll like the wheels that much more if you put the time and effort into them as opposed to someone else doing it.
yeah and most of the work done to my car is done by me, (Preping, and finsihing paintjob/matainence etc.) i like to take pride within my work. btu when help is REALLY needed then ill seek for it :P

Originally Posted by DFab
Looks great so far man! Keep up the good work!
thanks man just doing my thing.
Old 05-26-11, 08:01 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Tuan, you're moving to North Richland Hills?

That's not too far away from me. Maybe I'll see you at a meet.
Old 05-26-11, 08:36 AM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Tuan, you're moving to North Richland Hills?

That's not too far away from me. Maybe I'll see you at a meet.
haha well see
Old 05-26-11, 08:47 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Very very nice man!

When you finish it with a very mild polish, I bet they will look like mirrors.

Keep up the good work man and post the finished shots, I am sure alot of people would be interested to see the result! I can tell it will look amazing.
Old 05-26-11, 08:55 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Launch1
Tip of the day. Before sanding all the clear and paint off go to walmart and buy a can of aircraft paint remover. This will take them down to the bare metal and you will actually be able to see the machined grooves in the wheel. I have done many wheels like this and it will really shorten your process. Ton of work but it looks like you are going to have one nice set of wheels when you are finished. Keep the pics coming. Love to see them on the car when you are done.
LOOKING GOOD TUAN!! .. but yea .. i would have bought the aircraft paint remover too.. in the automotive section .. and can of that stuff isnt too much.. but would save you so much time! cant wait to see the finished product! haha.. and if you went with the chrome spray paint.. you would have been flamed!!
Old 05-26-11, 12:05 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Very very nice man!

When you finish it with a very mild polish, I bet they will look like mirrors.

Keep up the good work man and post the finished shots, I am sure alot of people would be interested to see the result! I can tell it will look amazing.
yes i will im actually going to get started on the project right now since i got alot of stuff out oof the way

Originally Posted by tuterz
LOOKING GOOD TUAN!! .. but yea .. i would have bought the aircraft paint remover too.. in the automotive section .. and can of that stuff isnt too much.. but would save you so much time! cant wait to see the finished product! haha.. and if you went with the chrome spray paint.. you would have been flamed!!
yeah of course ill get flamed!!! if i did that!!! lol goign to work on it now since i got some brass wheels
Old 05-26-11, 12:57 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work, if I had the time, space, and tools I would do my own SSRs. The only thing I've done is remove the faces and strip the paint (w/Aircraft), and probably going to find a wheel shop to do the rest.
Old 05-26-11, 02:27 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know what takes paint right off even better than aircraft stripper? Permatex gasket remover thats what. It's in a spray can and wont take a gasket off for crap, but man it will eat some paint.
Old 05-26-11, 07:20 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

update: i wet sanded the rim down to 2500 grit and then polished... and let me tell you i am not impressed..... i didnt get a mirror shine result....

summer santa got me a present.

teaser!!!

Sad day...

sad face

sorry CL i have failed you.
Old 05-26-11, 07:25 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you started too low of a grit. 150 is really coarse. You have a lot of deep scratches on the wheel. If started with about 400/800/1000/1500/2000 it would've been a lot easier.
Old 05-26-11, 07:37 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Nice '97 tails. Lol...
Old 05-26-11, 07:44 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See if anyone locally does polishing? orrr just have them powdercoated silver.

Maybe try these guys?

http://www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com...-WHEELS-1.HTML

Polishing guidelines for a compressor housing:

"Polishing How to's
So you have seen the shops selling the "Bling Bling" polished compressor housing, and think to yourself, "Man, I wish I had paid the extra $75 for that? Well, good thing you didnt. Polishing is not some some ancient art form that only shops are able to do. Its actually very easy. Almost anything can be polished. This is a how to for a compressor cover, but applies to any metal.

Materials and tools needed:
1) 1 pack of 220 grit automotive "wet" sandpaper
2) 1 pack of 300-320 grit "wet" sandpaper
3) 1 pack of 400 grit "wet" sandpaper
4) 1 pack of 600 grit "wet" sandpaper
5) 1 pack of 1000 grit "wet" sandpaper
6) 1 pack of 1500-2000 grit "wet" sandpaper
7) 1 small can of Mothers Mag & Alluminum polish

Note(you wont need much of any of the paper. Buy the smallest & cheapest packs avaiable)

If you have access to a die grinder, USE IT! It will cut a few hours off the time. Use it with a rolok disk. Either the purple(alluminum) or brown(steel) Be carefull with the brown
disk. It will cut through alluminum very quickly. If you are not confident using a die grinder, I suggest doing the job totally by hand.

Using either the die grinder or 220 paper smooth out the casting marks. Sand out any numbers or letters on the housing. This is the worst part of the job if you dont have a die grinder.

Next, use the 300 grit. Get a bucket of water and a chair. Start wet sanding all the scratches out. Clean the housing and the paper often in the bucket of water.

Continue with the 400 and 600 grit in the same way. The housing will get smoother and smoother with each grit. And the bucket of water will be about black at this point.

Now the 1000 grit. Same way, with the water. At the end of this step, the compressor housing will be pretty shiny, and as smooth as glass. Your fingers, on the other hand, will be sore, black, and pruny.

Final sanding is 1500-2000 grit. This will take out any surface sratches. and leave the housing perfectly smooth. When your done, clean the housing with soap and water.

The housing will look great at this point. Super shiny. Time for it to look like a mirror! Crack open the Mothers mag and alluminum polish. Mothers also has a new polish called BILLET Polish, which I think does a better job. Grab some rags and go to town. The end result will amaize you.

Total time for this project will vary. I am able to polish a housing in about 2 hours, using a die grinder in the first step. My friend did his without a die grinder in 12 hours. But, like I said. If you dont trust yourself with the die grinder, dont use it. The alluminum is very soft, and can be easily damaged if you are not carefull. Happy polishing. "

Last edited by HiPSI; 05-26-11 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 09:12 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

looking good bro, keep up the good work!
Old 05-26-11, 09:31 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TuanLegend
Sad day...
sad face
sorry CL i have failed you.

You should be banned for failing us once again. You have 48 hours to improve Tuan son if not you will face the consequences go forth and make us proud.

Quick Reply: Supra TT Rims Polish Project.