SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

System for the SC300

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-02, 11:24 AM
tommym
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System for the SC300

I have a 96 sc300. I know there is a stock amped 10" sub in the rear deack. I had a Pioneer Junk 350W 10" and 200 Watt MTX amp in the trunk. I thought it had decent bump till I took out the pioneer 10 and the car sounded exactly the same. this mean that only the stock 10 was doing all that. The deal is that the damn trunk is blocked off from the backseats by the gas tank or whatever that huge steal plate is.
My question is Does the car sound decent if you just take out that stock 10 and put in the nicest free air sub they make w/ a decent amp. Or I have a 1000W Eclipse Titanium 12" sub and 800Watt Rockford amp. Im thinking I could maybe just put that in the trunk and take out the stock 10 as to make an airway from the trunk to the inside of the car. Before I go ahead and install this (which is not cheap) I was wondering if anyone has gone the freeair way; and if so how does it sound? Let me know

tommcg82@aol.com
Old 09-09-02, 09:41 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

tommym,

I will suggest that you do a search under aftermarket speakers or stereo. There are several good threads full of info and pictures for you.

However, I think you second idea of, "Im thinking I could maybe just put that in the trunk and take out the stock 10 as to make an airway from the trunk to the inside of the car." Is the best alternative. The reason are simply, free air speakers are not that great, the gas tank is too close to the magnet when using the stock locations, and the deck is not stiff enough to allow the drive to do a good job.

In my SC I mounted a 12" JL in a fiberglassed box in the sparetire well. Sounds great but the bass is sooo hard that is shakes the dash a little.

MW
Old 09-10-02, 01:04 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe it's cause my ex-gf's father backed into me, (we were on good terms back then tho!)

but with my MTX 12 and 500 watts of MTX power, I'm ratting like a baby toy. Well, not quite that bad, but you get the idea. See if you can't mount something on the rear deck. Some crazy people in here had the idea of a band pass... mmmm band pass those things make the crappiest sub sound like... hmmm.. a really deep fog horn. Yea. something like that.

John

Edit: My grammar haunts me @ 12:06 AM!

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 09-10-02 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-10-02, 01:32 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
Edit: My grammar haunts me @ 12:06 AM!
HAHA... That is funny...

I agree with you. Bandpass is not a good idea. Sealed enclosure is a lot better. If it rattles then maybe you need a couple tons of sound deadener.

MW
Old 09-10-02, 05:18 AM
henrynguyen
Driver

Thumbs up I put 10" Kenwood in today

I replace to stock sub(only 8") on my 93 SC400 with a 10" Kenwood 400-Watts. I use the stock amp including my 1600Watts 4-channel and bypass EQ. I use two channel for the left and right speakers. The EQ only use to adjust the left and right speaker for better clearing sound. The Sub power by stock amp and two channel bridge amp. The sound was excellent for the first couples hours but I don't know why the stock amp stop working (It dead) I cannot power my sub because the left and right channel from the speakers input was extremly weak. I cannot power the sub anymore. I will try to figure out what was wrong with the stock amp. If you have other ideas, please let me know. Thanks
Old 09-10-02, 07:02 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Henrynguyen,

The stock amp can't handle that kinda power!! It's amazing that they could even power the system
Old 09-10-02, 01:57 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

The Sub power by stock amp and two channel bridge amp.???

That doesnt sound right.

Did you plug BOTH amps to the speaker? If so you fried it.

You need to take the output from the sub amp to a line level converter, then take those pre-outs to your new amp. That amp plugged to your sub.

Or...you can eliminate all your factory amps and go with a line-driver to get the pre-out level high enough to sound correct.

MW
Old 09-10-02, 03:29 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I've been reliably informed that the 10" sub in the SC300 is in a custom mounting and is of an unusual depth. Most of the subs on the market won't fit into the mounting bracket (they're too deep). I've heard of people making custom brackets for it.

But personally I would go with trunk-mounted. Enclosed subs always sound better than free-air, and the trunk mounting would be a heck of a lot easier to install and work on than the OEM location of the sub (which requires removal of the back seat and bulkhead).

Ral
Old 09-15-02, 10:50 PM
lexus baller
Driver School Candidate

After you remove your stock sub for airflow thru the trunk, take out your back seats and you'll see a big oval plate that covers the gas tank. Remove all the 10 millimeters bolts and pry that plate off. Put your back seat back in place . You will hear a big difference in bass. But you must use a bandpass or sealed enclosure in the trunk, do not use free air.
Old 09-16-02, 02:02 AM
henrynguyen
Driver

Default Yup I fried my stock amp

Originally posted by pcmw
The Sub power by stock amp and two channel bridge amp.???

That doesnt sound right.

Did you plug BOTH amps to the speaker? If so you fried it.

You need to take the output from the sub amp to a line level converter, then take those pre-outs to your new amp. That amp plugged to your sub.

Or...you can eliminate all your factory amps and go with a line-driver to get the pre-out level high enough to sound correct.

MW
I did fried my stock amp but I bought a use one for $15.00
Lucky

Last edited by henrynguyen; 09-16-02 at 02:04 AM.