SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

turbo or not??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 12:45 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by account2x
You have only had your (cheap) NA-T kit for a two months isn't it premature to say there are no problem yet?

Those cheap parts will fit awful then crack and break over time. Cheap pays twice.
I would say its entirely accurate to say i havent had any problems yet. I havent. Its been gone over ad nauseam. Altho cheap to be had, this kit holds up well and has for other for sometime. The hard parts in general seem to do well enough, and this isnt my stopping point. This was an entry level build as it was my first 2jz. Once funds flow readily again after i get married ill be upgrading a few things and doing my build over again. For now, and the hp Im running, it works great.
Old 06-04-11, 02:52 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Manifold looks like it will crack but if you brace the turbo to the block you should be fine. Wastegate is the most important item in my book if it sticks close at wide open trottle u run the risk of running lean if you run stock fuel system (very bad). I've personally seen those ebay turbos make a lot of power and if the turbo blows there is no real danger.
Old 06-04-11, 05:33 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Considering the fpr is boost reference, its pretty hard to run lean... I have to pull fuel to get 11's and it still gets 10's a lot. not saying it wont happen, but Im also not going ape**** on HP. The manifold seems to be holding up well for me,
Old 06-04-11, 07:48 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wud gte swap it.
Old 06-04-11, 08:27 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

GTE swaps are not the answer to everything... and for a budget of 2k i gte swap is not happening!!!! also i know i dude making 4XXhp on his (cheap) eBay turbo kit and nothing has gone bad yet and that's over a year running so that isn't a strong argument becasue not all cheap setups fail!!!
I would go for it... if you don't have anything major that needs to be done to the car and you want some actual fun out of the car take that 2k and buy yourself a turbo kit...

and i do highly recommend a shop to do the tapping and drilling of the drain and feel lines. matter of factor make sure the oil pan is taken off when drilling the drain i don't care what anyone says there will be shavings in the oil and you don't want that clogging the oil pump or making its way to the head, other then that everything else is like a puzzle with big pieces if you decided to do all the work yourself...

and i spanked on a single turbo 2jzgte so for who ever thinks or say a na-t setup doesn't stand a chance can kick rocks with that false advertising...

# Just my .02 cents plus a dollar
Old 06-04-11, 08:50 PM
whooper20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I should have clarified on the turbo..I know most engines can hold 8 psi and the 2jz are really good, I'm tryin to push 8 psi... my car runs fine no tyranny probs or engine.. I do plan on changing the fuel and upgrading.. 2 grand is a lot for a turbo I've found NEW turbos t04 and t4s and good turbos for around 700 and all parts included... I have a friend who'll install it with my help.. my main question was can my engine handle like does it have to many miles on it or will being a daily driver car cause a lot of stress..
Old 06-04-11, 09:01 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

my god , from list of items posted earlier , i would not even strap it on a lawnmower much less a 2jz.. understanding engine dynamics and understanding what a 2j engine needs and require goes a long way to ensure reliability.and durability

their certain things if any to me that one can cheap out on .. advice , do it once do it with vision sit back and enjoy the ride
Old 06-04-11, 09:15 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

whoa nobodys crushin anyones dreams dude. i have not turbo'd a car period but when i asked about it on this forum those are the cost estimates people gave me. man people are all sensitive and stuff on this forum if you can turbo an sc for 700 bucks then yeah go for it whats to lose. obviously i have been misled on the costs for running boost. but considering the small amount of shopping i have done for these parts just the manifold i looked at was 400 bucks. and i have read a lot of threads here with people spending 1500 just on the turbo. just me but if im investing in performance parts it wouldnt be ebay knockoff junk. it may work for some and thats fine. ill pass on buying cheapo performance parts and run quality suspension and replace old and worn parts until the car runs like new. i see a few here that agree. we gave an opinion. nobody tried to crush his dreams. everybody has an opinion. does not mean we were discouraging the guy just gave an opinion. do you see the difference? geeze
Old 06-04-11, 09:17 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

yes your motor can handle it but you can expect blow by... invest in a tt head gasket and arp head studs,, when you decided to go boost... and i +1 for what Mr.Lex said it is always better to take your time and do it once and right!!! i did my na-t setup i must admit it's addicting and a fun to drive but i also skipped out on somethings that needed to be done that i didnt really care about because the car was running and it cost me a motor... now i took my time and i'm working on bigger and better components...
for more juice and reliability..
Old 06-04-11, 09:29 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
yes your motor can handle it but you can expect blow by... invest in a tt head gasket and arp head studs,, when you decided to go boost... and i +1 for what Mr.Lex said it is always better to take your time and do it once and right!!! i did my na-t setup i must admit it's addicting and a fun to drive but i also skipped out on somethings that needed to be done that i didnt really care about because the car was running and it cost me a motor... now i took my time and i'm working on bigger and better components...
for more juice and reliability..
see now this is logic! does not sound like you can afford to blow an engine i know i cant. so the cheap road is just what it is.
156k on 2j shiiiii she just got her cherry popped. start from the bottom and work up to the end which is boost not the other way around.
Old 06-04-11, 09:51 PM
whooper20
Driver

Just because im going eBay don't mean I'm skimpin out.. I plan on doing it right, I'm not just adding the turbo and no mods.. I was worried about my motor being to old and to many miles mainly.. but if it can take it yes I'm changing fuel delivery, compression, and the other necessary parts, to release the stress and avoid future probs I'm doing it correctly I'm changing all necessary parts the first time its a big project not just adding turbo and hope for the best
Old 06-04-11, 09:56 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line if its your daily driver and you need a reliable car than no. You should do more research and get more familiar with how to turbo charge an engine. Don't get me wrong it can be done but if you want to be sure start with a compression test its cheap and that will give you more info on the condition of your engine. Last thing you want to do is boost an engine with bad compression.
Old 06-04-11, 10:03 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lookEVO
I would say its entirely accurate to say i havent had any problems yet. I havent. Its been gone over ad nauseam. Altho cheap to be had, this kit holds up well and has for other for sometime. The hard parts in general seem to do well enough, and this isnt my stopping point. This was an entry level build as it was my first 2jz. Once funds flow readily again after i get married ill be upgrading a few things and doing my build over again. For now, and the hp Im running, it works great.
I'm sure ppl would love to hear this and see pics. Please do tell on how to get a budget kit to work. Not coming down on you. I think it would be helpful for you to explain your steps because others have not been so lucky.
Old 06-04-11, 10:20 PM
whooper20
Driver

Thanks guys, I'm still debating I think ill end up just fixing the small things for further performance, later on worry about the turbo swap unless I end up talking to a trustworthy mechanic who can tell me if its ok or not.. but I will boost it at some point this is my baby I love my sc3 I just wanted to see if it was ok for an entry level boost, until I could fully pull out the best of my car
Old 06-05-11, 08:41 AM
SOLEdier
Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
this x1000000

boost is not a pocket friendly game by far .. ask me how i know this
if anyone knows its him^

I learned first hand lol

Quick Reply: turbo or not??