SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

auto shifter replaceable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 01:33 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto shifter replaceable?

a while back there was a thread about replacing the auto shift **** with a manual **** where the stock shift rod was grinded to fit the new ****. i had a brainstorm of an idea and wondered if anyone thinks this would be possible.
what if you took apart the shift assymbly and replaced the square shift rod with a round one? like get some 1/2" steel pipe or tubing and drill a hole through the bottom to put the pin through that holds the stock shifter in place. then simply run the stock push button rod up through the pipe and install any **** you like. just a thought i had i have not actually looked at how the stock one works to see if it would work but i am sure some of you know it well and can verify if its possible. thanks.
Old 06-05-11, 02:40 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

to clarify the reason for this its so you could use the auto shift bezel and still have your park,drive,1rst,2nd lights. it would look like the gated shifter only without the gate.lol just having a nice black round shift stick coming up out of the bezel instead of a manual boot to hide the square shift stick. i suck at explaining things lol.
Old 06-05-11, 03:54 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

The shift **** I'm using has to be pushed down to engage a gear:

Are you trying to change/alter the 92-97 shifter so it works like a gated shifter where you don't need to press the button to engage a gear?
Old 06-05-11, 05:11 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Murdoc, with your modification, you can't shift down into 1st and 2nd though can you?

And bleedspeed, if you modified the shifter to where you didn't have to push down on anything, it would be able to slide out of gear at any time. If you actually take a look at the shifter assembly, you'll see that there is a pin that is spring loaded that keeps the car in whatever gear you're in. It's like steps upside down almost.
Old 06-05-11, 05:27 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

no i still want to maintain the push button just talking about swapping the square rod to a round rod. i have looked at the push button and its just a skinny rod that runs inside the square tube. i will have to take a look at the whole shift assembly unless anyone has a pic of it.
Old 06-05-11, 05:42 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FutureSC
Murdoc, with your modification, you can't shift down into 1st and 2nd though can you?
No you can't, that's one of the drawbacks with this mod. Hopefully I can find a gated shifter soon.
Old 06-05-11, 05:56 PM
Taste
Driver

Originally Posted by 718murdoc
The shift **** I'm using has to be pushed down to engage a gear:

Are you trying to change/alter the 92-97 shifter so it works like a gated shifter where you don't need to press the button to engage a gear?
did you cut your auto shifter down at all? yours looks alot shorter than mine is
Old 06-05-11, 06:12 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

ok took it apart plotted it snaped pics reassembled it. here is what i came up with.
so what i spoke of can be done in two ways #1 remove the the shift rod take it to a welder and have him fab 1 identical except with a round shaft instead of square. easy for those of you with a torch. or 2 you can cut off about 4 or 5 inches of the top of the shaft and run a round piece of tubing down into the square tubing and jb weld it in.

heres the base of the shift tube with the cross t shaped shaft at the bottom that the shifter rocks on.

and here is the button. i think the reason you guys cant shift into 2nd/1rst is because the button is not being depressed all the way.

and here you can see where you would need to cut off the square tube below the shifter bezel and insert your round tube. the button is just a skinny piece of rod that should run through a skinny piece of round tubing.

best thing obviously is to swap to a gated shifter. for those who cant find one this may be a welcome alternative. if done good it could allow you to keep your auto shift bezel and have a nice round tube coming out of the bezel. also it would allow full shifting capability with the use of an aftermarket auto shift ****. maybe not a worthy project but just figured i would let you guys be the judge.

Last edited by bleedspeed; 06-05-11 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 06:31 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Taste
did you cut your auto shifter down at all? yours looks alot shorter than mine is
I followed the tutorial in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...o-shifter.html
Old 06-05-11, 06:34 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

another thought would be to take off the leather of the stock **** and reshape it with bondo glass or some hard putty sand it smooth and re wrap it.
Old 06-05-11, 06:35 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

there's a round rod that you can buy on ebay, it's like tan metal with a little carbon fiber in the middle. search "automatic shift ****"
Old 06-05-11, 06:40 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

i saw the thread and mentioned it in the first post. 2 things i dont like about it. i think the manual shift boot in an auto looks silly and you cant shift into 2nd or 1rst. try selling the car and see if the buyer wants a car that does not shift properly. though that could probably be fixed just buy using and aftermarket auto shift **** with a button. like this.

Old 06-05-11, 07:25 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

that momo shift **** is soooo expensive