SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Stocks Sub swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 04:07 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet setups.. We need more trunk area.....period.
Old 07-01-11, 06:20 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the sub in the trunk off to the side it doesn't seem like you loose too much space, and if you have a decent speaker grille you could set whatever you wanted on it if you needed to. My thing about a set up in the trunk is if it sounds good or not I just think that the bass would be baffled too much I dont know I have never heard what it sounds like so I may just try it and see or try a JL free air and see what it sounds like until I get the sound I'm looking for. Bleedspeed's set up is a cool way to go as long as you seal up the entire deck you could get away with a regular sub I guess So many options so little space, what are we gonna do guys??????
Old 07-01-11, 07:32 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socal72
With the sub in the trunk off to the side it doesn't seem like you loose too much space, and if you have a decent speaker grille you could set whatever you wanted on it if you needed to. My thing about a set up in the trunk is if it sounds good or not I just think that the bass would be baffled too much I dont know I have never heard what it sounds like so I may just try it and see or try a JL free air and see what it sounds like until I get the sound I'm looking for. Bleedspeed's set up is a cool way to go as long as you seal up the entire deck you could get away with a regular sub I guess So many options so little space, what are we gonna do guys??????
I think my sub hit somewhere in the high 120dbs if I remember correctly. For a single sub in that small of a box, it sound ok. The reason I say ok, is because I have 2 12" p3's in the GS and that hits high 130dbs, maybe even higher, but my db reader only goes up to 132dbs. To be honest, I have never heard a free air that sounds good, might as well keep the stock!
Old 07-01-11, 07:48 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

shameless whoring...here's mine 2 JL 10W7's

Old 07-01-11, 09:00 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a sick set-up! I want to do something like that.
Old 07-01-11, 09:58 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

yeah that is the sick sub install for sure! why not 12" though? wouldnt have taken any more space really. by all means if you have a couple thousand for your sub install then that is probably the best setup. i still do not like the single side mounted sub though. if i ever did that i would do 2 subs for sure. but its all up to what you want. i didnt want huge bass in my sc. i have done huge bass in most of my cars and it gets old. i wanted just enough bass. my install sounds decent but can not touch a pair of 12"s by any means.
Old 07-01-11, 10:01 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

lol where the hell are the screw holes in those jl subs?????>?????
Old 07-02-11, 12:18 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Durrby you have one of the cleanest setups by far bro. But im with you bleedspeed I am just looking for a really good sounding system no more than 700-1000 watts RMS to a 10 or 12. Nothing to crazy..
Old 07-02-11, 12:18 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

HY!

I installed a old Boston Subwoofer, sound is great and i have the original space in the trunk

i modified the original sub chassis to a adapter

Old 07-02-11, 01:13 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Boergy
HY!

I installed a old Boston Subwoofer, sound is great and i have the original space in the trunk

i modified the original sub chassis to a adapter

And are you able to still use your factory grille?
Old 07-02-11, 12:15 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Banikid
Thats a sick set-up! I want to do something like that.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
yeah that is the sick sub install for sure! why not 12" though? wouldnt have taken any more space really. by all means if you have a couple thousand for your sub install then that is probably the best setup. i still do not like the single side mounted sub though. if i ever did that i would do 2 subs for sure. but its all up to what you want. i didnt want huge bass in my sc. i have done huge bass in most of my cars and it gets old. i wanted just enough bass. my install sounds decent but can not touch a pair of 12"s by any means.
Going with the 12's or 13.5's would have been overkill for the SC in my opinion. I originally was gonna do 2 8's in a regular box but went with the 2 10's in the custom boxes which i'm happy with.

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
lol where the hell are the screw holes in those jl subs?????>?????
lol there behind the surround. You have to take the aluminum clamp and o-ring trim off first then peel back the surround

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/W7_MountingSystem.pdf

Durrby you have one of the cleanest setups by far bro. But im with you bleedspeed I am just looking for a really good sounding system no more than 700-1000 watts RMS to a 10 or 12. Nothing to crazy..
Thanks!
Old 07-02-11, 12:43 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

And are you able to still use your factory grille?
HY!

yes, i have the same high as the original subwoofer, looks all original
Old 07-02-11, 03:36 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Hey Durrby, How much trunk rattle do you have with the subs firing up at the trunk lid? With it being all sound deadened does it stay pretty solid?
Old 07-02-11, 11:42 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Pioneer 10" sub in the stock location. Gives me just enough thump I need. Had to put a piece of wood in the stock sub location to raise the aftermarket sub enough to be flush. You can't see the wood because it is covered in the black speaker trim which gives it all a complete stock look. No complaints whatsoever on the change.

Last edited by P.R.S.22; 09-17-11 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-03-11, 06:22 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

wattage means nothing until you say the brand of amp you are running. Now-a-days there are cheap @$$ amp that are way over rated inorder to sound and look appealing to consumers, but when it comes down to it, they aren't worth a $h!t
So when you go amp shopping, keep this in mind. Decent amps run about $1-1w at 4ohms.

Quick Reply: Stocks Sub swap?