SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Poor CD changer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 12:44 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poor CD changer.

Well up untill I decided to wash my car with the trunk cracked I LOVED my CH changer. Worked great and always played CD's. But it got a lil wet and I diagnosed it its shot

So my question is I dont have funds to get a new head unit and if I did I'd go with something top of the line. So I resorted to trying to use my Ipod, i bought one of those cassette tape things with the wire on it to play but it just keeps spitting it out I mean It'll play for a split second and then quickly pop it out.

Any quick easy solution to get my music back?

and P.S. I don't listen to the radio
Old 06-08-11, 12:46 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

post a WTB in the classifieds for an OEM CD changer? fm transmitter? those should be cheap
Old 06-08-11, 12:57 PM
Tament
Driver

SC51 - To use my Ipod in my SC I bought a FM tuner that plugs into my Ipod and then transmit via the FM station specified....you can then program that station in one of your preset buttons "Use a station you dont really use"
Old 06-08-11, 01:04 PM
bugjug
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the cassette player is detecting the end of tape because it is feeling tension on the hubs. you may have a defective adaptor. do the "wheels" spin easily?

BTW, I hate the FM adapters.
Old 06-08-11, 01:12 PM
Tament
Driver

Originally Posted by bugjug
sounds like the cassette player is detecting the end of tape because it is feeling tension on the hubs. you may have a defective adaptor. do the "wheels" spin easily?

BTW, I hate the FM adapters.
Why, do they not work for you? I have used the cassette version when they came out years ago, and I prefer the FM tuner because, not all radios, especially after market radios do not have a cassette deck.
Old 06-08-11, 01:17 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^ Wow thanks for the quick replies guys

Ya idiot me I have to pull the wire threw to the other side of the tape(had to be flipped over)

And Ya I'll prob post a WTB but I believe the 98+ changer is different from the pre 98 cars? Not sure tho. Also what other lexus came with the 6 disc changer like LS's or GS's?

The only reason why I didn't want to do the transmitter is because of the ugly antenna that comes up
Old 06-08-11, 01:50 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The later cars do have a different/better cd changer. I think the es six disc changer also fits.
Old 06-08-11, 02:00 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^Ya scratch that tape thing still doesn't work either way I put it. I don't get it it plays for a second then shuts off and spits out. I guess I'll have to see if I have a cassette somewhere and try a normal tape..don't even think I have one tho lol
Old 06-08-11, 02:35 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

sell ya my 10 disc changer. works cherry. sitting in closet collecting dust now. pm me if you want it. also have og factory pioneer deck but never tested tape unit.
Old 06-08-11, 04:12 PM
bugjug
Driver

Originally Posted by Tament
Why, do they not work for you? I have used the cassette version when they came out years ago, and I prefer the FM tuner because, not all radios, especially after market radios do not have a cassette deck.
Poor reception, plus when traveling, the stations go in and out. Finding a blank slot in the FM band is tough in highly populated areas. You are right about the lack of cassette decks though!

I like the belkin TuneDeck for ipod nano. Found a couple on ebay for under $10.
Old 06-08-11, 05:56 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I dislike the FM tuner, i had one and bass would be dead flat CD tape worked better for me IMO

Just build an aux port from your stock HU. Cut 2 wires and solder 2 wires, ez
Old 06-08-11, 06:38 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

the tape thing does work better i bought one at walmart for $9.00 lol and it works fine in my truck no bad reception at all unlike the fm tuner which i also have... however, SC51, the same thing happens to me with my cassette player in my SC... dont buy a new cassette player our radios just do not read those tapes trust me i went thru 3 stock radios trying to make it work. IT JUST DOESNT. (like fat girls in slammed cars)
Old 06-08-11, 08:23 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

sc300jz I dislike the FM tuner, i had one and bass would be dead flat CD tape worked better for me IMO

Just build an aux port from your stock HU. Cut 2 wires and solder 2 wires, ez
Ya i'm gonna have to try that out, good idea
cmh the tape thing does work better i bought one at walmart for $9.00 lol and it works fine in my truck no bad reception at all unlike the fm tuner which i also have... however, SC51, the same thing happens to me with my cassette player in my SC... dont buy a new cassette player our radios just do not read those tapes trust me i went thru 3 stock radios trying to make it work. IT JUST DOESNT. (like fat girls in slammed cars)
Lol Ya I figured so because I actually found a tape (first Snoop album) and put it in and played fine.
Old 06-08-11, 08:37 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by SC51
Ya i'm gonna have to try that out, good idea

Lol Ya I figured so because I actually found a tape (first Snoop album) and put it in and played fine.
damn u gotta let me copy that tape thats old school right there!!! plus my cd changer only plays like disc 1 and disc like 7 i think how random is that i could use some tapes
Old 06-09-11, 07:08 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

cmh
damn u gotta let me copy that tape thats old school right there!!! plus my cd changer only plays like disc 1 and disc like 7 i think how random is that i could use some tapes
I know rite I knew I had either Snoop or like Ice Cube I remember getting it in like 2nd grade lol

So do the pre 98+ changers play BURNT cd's fine?

Quick Reply: Poor CD changer.