SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My SC, my headache. Please take time to read.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 12:02 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check your tie rod ends, mine were bad a little while ago. Same thing, just jack the car up and try to wiggle the wheel back and forth
Old 06-09-11, 12:44 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureSC
Also check your tie rod ends, mine were bad a little while ago. Same thing, just jack the car up and try to wiggle the wheel back and forth
How do you know if its the outer tire rod and not the control arm bushings?
Old 06-09-11, 01:26 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

when you try to wiggle the wheel back and forth you'll see the tie rod end literally wiggling back and forth in its boot
Old 06-09-11, 01:31 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check bushings, you also should check out the wheel hub rings. Since they are aftermarket, check to see if there is a correct hub ring in there (if at all).
Old 06-09-11, 06:05 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tabaka
check bushings, you also should check out the wheel hub rings. Since they are aftermarket, check to see if there is a correct hub ring in there (if at all).
I believe there are no hub rings. Is that needed for an aftermarket rims?
Old 06-09-11, 08:54 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Damn! I can't do this anymore! What do you guys think? Should I sell my SC and move on, or just fix everything that's wrong with it, which is basically everything that needs to be working properly! I love my SC but starting to hate the fact that there's too many going wrong with it! Whenever I'm gonna get something fixed, another part of it fails! Arrrrrrghh!
Old 06-10-11, 07:15 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man thats how used cars are... if u get another sc it might end up with worse problems. fix wat u know is wrong with it little by little and ull see that everyhing else will fall into place for u. thats wat we give up for not having to make car payments... time and money but u drive wat u like.
Old 06-10-11, 08:12 AM
philllyj
Rookie

I own a 92 SC300 I too had that shaking, went to get a wheel alignment the guy was literally pushing up my steering rack like it was nothing. He told me the steering rack bushings needed replacing. I ordered these: http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...ckbushings.php, $46 total with shipping. Got them in 3 days, installed them using this diy: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-warning.html shaking is now gone.
Here’s a side by side comparison of what my bushings looked like when I took them out. Completely disintegrated as you see.
Old 06-10-11, 10:45 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by philllyj
I own a 92 SC300 I too had that shaking, went to get a wheel alignment the guy was literally pushing up my steering rack like it was nothing. He told me the steering rack bushings needed replacing. I ordered these: http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...ckbushings.php, $46 total with shipping. Got them in 3 days, installed them using this diy: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-warning.html shaking is now gone.
Here’s a side by side comparison of what my bushings looked like when I took them out. Completely disintegrated as you see.
Is this any better than what Daizen is selling? 'cause this one looks like its made of pure aluminum with no rubber bushing? And it only say SC300 on there site, mine's a SC400.

Last edited by OG Dada; 06-10-11 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-10-11, 11:12 AM
whtricsc40
Driver School Candidate

you might also want to check the tires for a flat spot if its been sitting since 2009 sence you replaced the rears and you said the vibration is coming from the front. And i wouldnt get rid of the car it is older and any older cars are going to have problems.
Old 06-13-11, 08:38 AM
philllyj
Rookie

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Is this any better than what Daizen is selling? 'cause this one looks like its made of pure aluminum with no rubber bushing? And it only say SC300 on there site, mine's a SC400.
Phillip I believe its the same bushings that are used. I still have two left if you want to cop em $23. total.
Old 06-13-11, 09:12 AM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

If you want a really rough ride get aluminum. There is no give between the rack and the frame if you go that route. Otherwise your best best is Diazen. SC300 and SC400 rack bushings are interchangeable. Phillip, have you actually jacked up your car to see what's wrong?
Old 06-13-11, 09:22 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FutureSC
If you want a really rough ride get aluminum. There is no give between the rack and the frame if you go that route. Otherwise your best best is Diazen. SC300 and SC400 rack bushings are interchangeable. Phillip, have you actually jacked up your car to see what's wrong?
If you're addressing me, I've already jacked it up a couple hundred times but couldn't really see anything, but I'm heading to Lexus in a bit to get a full car diagnostic to find out everything that's going on and out of the car.
Old 06-13-11, 11:56 AM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

true, good luck man
Old 06-13-11, 01:48 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Can you believe it?! I scheduled an appointment at Bob Baker Lexus at El Cajon on saturday night for pre-sale diagnostic to find out all the problems with my SC and when I called them this morning to confirm my appointment the guy who answered the phone said I ain't on the list and it would cost me $240 just for what I'm asking for?! I told him I already spoke to somebody from Lexus Escondido about it and they said it's only $127, and the guy goes, why don't you take it to them?! (With an attitude) So I called up Lexus Escondido not really expecting much from them 'cause they where already fully booked 'til next week but when I mentioned my experience from the other dealership they quickly got me in the system. Not the kind of service I was expecting from a Lexus dealership.

Quick Reply: My SC, my headache. Please take time to read.