SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My SC, my headache. Please take time to read.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 03:42 PM
HEWJsc4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With your front end jacked up, check also to see if the wheels spin freely. If they don't, your caliper may be seizing, when it happened to me I got lots of vibration.

Also, the PS system takes ATF fluid, not power steering fluid. Flush it out and start over with the right stuff if you put regular old PS fluid in.
Old 06-16-11, 02:26 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default And the list goes on...

My SC400 is currently at Lexus Escondido for a full car diagnostic so I can find out what needs to be fixed and what not. Originally just because of a vibration, a very scary vibration at 60mph, which now I know is caused by my rear wheels, I haven't heard from Lexus yet regarding the balancing. To people who buy tires from Bear Tires, be aware that the guys there doesn't really pay attention with how they balance the wheels, mine shouldn't have gone this worst if they did it properly. According to the Lexus technician, it may be because my rims are bent, needs hub rings, tires are worn or just waaaay out of balance. What the tech did was lift the car just enough to make the wheels free roll, then engaged to D and gave a little gas to show me the vibration, and that thing was ready to jump off of the lift! Anyways here are the findings, so far, that I need to replace/fix, and their prices, remember they're not yet done finding out what's causing the vibration, they'll check again after balancing my rims or whatever they need to do to fix its shaking.

OEM parts
motor/engine mounts $92.74
rack & pinion $363
steering rack bushing $26
valve cover gasket $?
battery terminal (+,-) $31.79
battery terminal cover $28.10
transmission & differential oil $?
brake fluid & power steering $?
all engine bay hoses & clamps $?

Aftermarket
radiator KOYO A1306 $185
145 amps alternator $299 (luxurymods.com)
4 gauge alternator wire $25 (luxurymods.com)
braided stainless power steering line $70 (driftmotion.com)
Goodridge brake line $125 (luxurymods.com)
Ichiba wheel studs $50 (ichibausa.com)
K&N air filter $62.39
DENSO Iridium long life $7.46

For Looks & Kicks
Project Kics lugnuts $250 (2wheel studs broke inside the lock nuts so might as well change to this)
TSX retrofit $80 (eBay.com)
JDM Innovation oval tip muffler $80 (eBay.com)
V-Kool tint $480
Cusco strut bar $195 (luxurymods.com)

The reason why I'm sharing this is because I'm open for any suggestions for any parts that I need, like aftermarket brands or where to buy them, if some of the items are better aftermarket or OEM, like I'm not sure about the difference of the rack & pinion from Autozone or Lexus refurbished(what I'm concerned about this is the rack bushings), and the 145 amp alternator, and also I don't know yet some of the prices, so help me out...Thanks in advance!

..........Orrrrrrr to sell or not to sell???

Last edited by OG Dada; 06-16-11 at 03:16 AM.