SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My SC, my headache. Please take time to read.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 11:57 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My SC, my headache. Please take time to read.

Lemme give you a background of my car real quik, I bought my SC a few months back, the car wasn't used since 2009 by the last owner. It was out of camber when I first got it since there was an uneven wear on the tires, so I had to change the rear ones and got an alignment. Evrything's stock on this car, except for the lowering springs/shocks and rims(19x9, front & 19x10, rear). Now, the guy who aligned this said that my rear wheel bearing is bad on the passenger side so I already changed it; I wanted to do the driver side as well for the rear but haven't had time to do it since. And he also said my rack and pinion is leaking. A week ago my power steering fluid dried up, (I'm not sure if it's because the car wasn't used for a long time or if there are leaks). I checked the boot, but its all dry inside on both sides. I refilled the PS fluid but didn't want to drain it until I'm sure if my PS pump or rack and pinion is going bad but the PS fluid is dirty, brownish grey in color. Also on full stop when turning the steering wheel before it reaches the end of a turn I can hear the PS groaning and making a clacking sound, although its very silent, you can barely hear it. And a few days after refilling the PS fluid the front wheels started to vibrate, alot, even at low speeds. My uncle, sorta mechanic, said to check my wheel balancing so I did, it made a big difference, completely removed the vibration at low speeds but when I hit 60mph it starts shaking real bad! Even my seat's shaking and I can even feel the vibration from my gas pedal. There is also a loud groaning/grinding sound coming from what I believe is the driveshaft, which some people on here said it must be the carrier bearing and pinion bearing. I already changed the tranny mounting, and gonna try to do the engine mounts next but I need to get the viobrations out of the way first. I don't know what to do with this car anymore and it's driving me insane. I was gonna go to Lexus yesterday to get it checked up but they where asking me $123 just to look at it so I decided to wait until my next oil change since they do a complementary check up for a tune up from them. But I don't think that scary vibration should wait that long...

Last edited by OG Dada; 06-09-11 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-09-11, 12:05 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i had a major problem with a wheel bearing before and had a brand new one just installed fail on me in a matter of hours. I also rebalanced the wheels. At least, that's what it sounds like. you should take it in, there many reputable of shops in CA
Old 06-09-11, 12:13 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jadu
i had a major problem with a wheel bearing before and had a brand new one just installed fail on me in a matter of hours. I also rebalanced the wheels. At least, that's what it sounds like. you should take it in, there many reputable of shops in CA
The vibrations are coming from the front wheels. The wheel bearing I changed is at the rear. I know I really need to bring this to a shop, but I want the diagnostics to come from Lexus since they know there products more.
Old 06-09-11, 04:20 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check all your Bushings in the control arms as well
Old 06-09-11, 08:32 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Check all your Bushings in the control arms as well
How do I find out if the bushings are going bad?
Old 06-09-11, 08:46 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The brushing are made of a hard rubber and have a bolt or a metal sleeve inlaid in the rubber. If you can move either of these a large amount with you bare hands then you need to replace them. I spent weeks trying to find the source of vibration in the steering wheel. I got the wheels balanced, driveshaft balanced, I even bought a new harmonic balancer (spelling) turns out the upper control arm bushing was going bad and was causing some play in the rim . You live and learn man
Old 06-09-11, 09:29 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

The brushing are made of a hard rubber and have a bolt or a metal sleeve inlaid in the rubber. If you can move either of these a large amount with you bare hands then you need to replace them. I spent weeks trying to find the source of vibration in the steering wheel. I got the wheels balanced, driveshaft balanced, I even bought a new harmonic balancer (spelling) turns out the upper control arm bushing was going bad and was causing some play in the rim . You live and learn man
Thanks brother for the tip, I'll check it out when I reinstall my spacers, 'cause discount tires wouldn't reinstall them when I had my wheel balancing from them yesterday.
Old 06-09-11, 10:13 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn ur good man... imma check mine too because i have the same problem..
Old 06-09-11, 10:16 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

also correct me if im wrong if u jack up ur car in the front and there is play in ur wheel its ur bearings... like if u can wiggle ur wheel if u put ur hands on 9 o clock and 3 o clock. push in and out(wiggle) damn it u get me try that... lol

i dunno some mechanic guy did it to my old car and it was my bearings fixed them and raddling went away
Old 06-09-11, 10:17 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmh
damn ur good man... imma check mine too because i have the same problem..
JDM Muscle is really good, he's been here for years, that's why most of the time he's posts are a bit cocky. (No offense JDM Muscle, just the truth) Peace!!!
Old 06-09-11, 10:18 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmh
also correct me if im wrong if u jack up ur car in the front and there is play in ur wheel its ur bearings... like if u can wiggle ur wheel if u put ur hands on 9 o clock and 3 o clock. push in and out(wiggle) damn it u get me try that... lol

i dunno some mechanic guy did it to my old car and it was my bearings fixed them and raddling went away
Yup, that's correcto!
Old 06-09-11, 10:19 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

u can check your front bearings my jacking the car up one side at a time and just spin the wheel (like wheel of fortune)and listen for scrubbing
Old 06-09-11, 10:21 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
u can check your front bearings my jacking the car up one side at a time and just spin the wheel (like wheel of fortune)and listen for scrubbing
cool sh* T i didnt know that either... man i need a jack like ASAP
Old 06-09-11, 10:23 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

JDMmuscle that signature is freggin classic... lmao i never get enough of it... hahahahaha
Old 06-09-11, 10:26 AM
Tament
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is not Cocky when you know what you are doing......I have always told people when you know your ******, and you display that knowledge confidently, people mistake it for cocky....Keep the knowledge coming JDM Muscle......Not harping on you Kingphillip....Just adding my un-wanted $0.02 to the conversation. Love and happiness cures all. :-)

Quick Reply: My SC, my headache. Please take time to read.