SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

too much information confused!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 12:50 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Oh you'll see more updates later this week. Finals are this week and once i am done the tranny comes out. I'll just throw a Q&A section in my thread or things that i would think would be helpful for others.
that is supremely awesome of you sir
Old 06-11-11, 01:10 AM
Taste
Driver

first off why does it always seem every question or idea i have, bleedspeed you already tried or asked it lol

but anyways im looking at going 1.5jz hopefully ill find someone with a blown 1jz lol
just go to a junk yard man and find a w58 there, maybe even a r154, those things are kinda like a dime a dozen here in vegas, always see atleast 1..

no offense but supraforums, and clublexus always seem to be expensive to me..
try and check out zilvia.net..believe it or not i found some good stuff on that website my man

check this out
http://zilvia.net/f/engine/386874-ze...eats-more.html
Old 06-11-11, 01:30 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Taste
first off why does it always seem every question or idea i have, bleedspeed you already tried or asked it lol

but anyways im looking at going 1.5jz hopefully ill find someone with a blown 1jz lol
just go to a junk yard man and find a w58 there, maybe even a r154, those things are kinda like a dime a dozen here in vegas, always see atleast 1..

no offense but supraforums, and clublexus always seem to be expensive to me..
try and check out zilvia.net..believe it or not i found some good stuff on that website my man

check this out
http://zilvia.net/f/engine/386874-ze...eats-more.html
great minds think alike
i have scoured salvages for sc parts in htown and never seen a single 5speed. all autos. this city is full of import tuner guys and its hard to find any sc in the salvage. and then they wanna price gouge on parts anyway. the only way to get a good deal here is self service yards and sc's get picked clean fast. i called about 20 yards looking for a pair of door panels and only 1 had a pair. i am about to start traveling out of houston to hicktown yards though might have better luck.
Old 06-11-11, 01:41 AM
Taste
Driver

na mk3 supras man, all day lol
I just wish that i didn't sell my supra with a r154 in it before i bought the sc...dang it
Old 06-11-11, 02:47 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soarer93
There's actually a few on ebay now. Well the torsen centres.
U can. See from the pic any a01b will be fine. Or any 10bolt 8" centre and u swap it in ur existing casing keeping ur own crown wheel and pinion which will retain the currwnt diff ratio. Its not a 30min job but neither is the headache of goint auto to manual.
Incorrect. You need a JZA80 LSD. The more common JZA70 LSD don't fit.

Originally Posted by soarer93
Also note few supra years even came with an open diff this is a small table. But ull be hard to find an open diff from a supra
Open differential was standard for NA Supra's. LSD was optional. You'll be hard pressed to find an NA diff with LSD. The turbo's are all LSD but the prices are steep. Minimum 700 forum price and this person on eBay wants almost 1400.

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
thanks bro! see right now this is like hebrew to me.lol but i hope to understand it in the end. to be honest i am not sure what the purpose of an lsd is or if its something i would want. from what you said earlier it sounds like sticking with my current diff will give me the most aggressive shift. and ls4oo=better mpg. i am all about the better shift. lsd is something i will begin to look into but not a priority currently. after this swap i still need to worry about suspension. right now it feels like a boat. and then exhaust.
so lsd is way down the line. i dont want to get ahead of the game i signed up for.
#1 5 spd swap
#2 suspension
#3 exhaust
#4 paint
#5 wheels
#6 playboy bunnies
LSD is really important. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWkTkfrkv44 video and found out why. As the video says an open differential only puts power down to 1 wheel, a LSD puts down to both wheels.
Old 06-11-11, 04:13 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

ahhh holy shii i see! it is to imports what positrack is to usdm. fully get it and see why you guys pushed it. thanks for that. what about the lsd being sold on horsepower freaks.com? i saw this lsd 6 months ago and kept it in the back of my mind. would this work with a w58 or r154? http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ited_Slip/3913
Old 06-11-11, 04:28 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

The LSD Centres are one thing. the differential casing itself is another..
finding a Differential may be hard, but in many cases the torsen unit is much more easily obtained.

This is what is inside your Differential.
The picture is MY open centre that i took out of my differential when i put a torsen centre in.
As you can see its a 10bolt...

so unless someone here thinks they need the 12 bolt...
here is a centre for under 400.
just make sure it looks like the one in the ebay picture if you ever buy one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...item20ba155450

Center vs. centre

There is no difference in meaning between center and centre. Center is the spelling in American English; centre is preferred in British, Indian, and Australian English. In Canadian English, centre is the noun, and center is the verb.

So my apologies on your headaches, It was not my intention to hurt your brain.
Attached Thumbnails too much information confused!-opencentre.jpg  

Last edited by soarer93; 06-11-11 at 04:40 PM. Reason: to point out the correct spelling for Centre - and un-abbrevriate words for those whom get headaches.
Old 06-11-11, 04:29 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

LSD is per differential and not transmission. That Kaaz LSD will work on all the differentials besides the Supra 6 speed.

If you want a fun to drive vehicle I would go with a manual swap, LSD and suspension.

Exhaust will do very little power wise.

Wheels/Rims and Brake kits are a double-edges sword, they'll give you better handling and better stopping but with such a weak engine you'll feel a noticeable power loss.

@soarer93 your spelling makes my head want to explode.
Old 06-11-11, 04:42 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

cool! i am a poor speller as well.lol any how exhaust for me is about looks and sound not really more power. wheels well i am running on some cheap black sport wheels that the previous owner installed. no offset just fugly. brakes just planning on drilled slotted rotors and supra calipers stainless lines no bbk for me just dont need it. good so any reviews on the kaaz diff? probably dont last like a oem one hah? this is awesome you guys rule. by the time i get to my swap i will be well prepared.
Old 06-11-11, 04:46 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

best way to answer your question about a Kaaz LSD is to understand that it is a variation (type) of Limited Slip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

Torsen is another variation. so its neither Better or worse, but different and suitable to different driving styles and needs.
Old 06-11-11, 04:47 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

you seee!!!
i will say this though these wheels are light as hell.

Last edited by bleedspeed; 06-11-11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-11-11, 05:09 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

"If you want a fun to drive vehicle I would go with a manual swap, LSD and suspension." this really sounds like what i am shooting for. not over the top power just fun and a good road hugger. sounds like solid advice. any ideas on where to mount the rocket launchers?
Old 06-11-11, 11:57 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
cool! i am a poor speller as well.lol any how exhaust for me is about looks and sound not really more power. wheels well i am running on some cheap black sport wheels that the previous owner installed. no offset just fugly. brakes just planning on drilled slotted rotors and supra calipers stainless lines no bbk for me just dont need it. good so any reviews on the kaaz diff? probably dont last like a oem one hah? this is awesome you guys rule. by the time i get to my swap i will be well prepared.
drilled and slotted rotors are rice. less metal means you get less friction and less stopping power. prone to cracking. wear out your pads faster too. only time i'd ever consider using drilled or slotted rotors is on the track.

stainless steel lines are amazing. night and day difference. Techna-Fit is really high quality. they use teflon with stainless steel and an extra layer of pvc for protection.

bbk or bust

oem torsen diff is good but you'll need to buy the whole pumpkin just to get it at a reasonable price this makes Kaaz a better buy for the price unless you plan to go turbo.

Last edited by account2x; 06-12-11 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-12-11, 04:51 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

yeah if anything na-t down the road. i dont yet feel the need for big power just want sporty and quick. i can see where drilled rotors would wear pads and crack. good point. this thread is getting expensive lol eyes on the prize.