key replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 06:09 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key replacement help

I have 98 SC300 which has 3-buttons.

I just lost my only key that has chip and the fob. The only key I have is the valet key which does not have any fob. It can only open the doors and turns on the car. I know the key gotta have a chip to turn on the car. So maybe the key have the chip?

I talked to lexus, they told me that since I dont have the chip anymore, they have to replace the whole system or something which cost thousands of dollars.
Is that true?
Is there any alternative way to program the chip?
Old 06-13-11, 06:16 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt they have to change the system. They probably can look up the info from the vin#. Try calling other lexus dealerships, you might have just talked with a dumb *** at that one
Old 06-13-11, 06:28 PM
Tament
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stealership should be able to cut you a new master key with just your VIN#
Old 06-13-11, 06:59 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont understand why people think you have a chip in your key for it to start. Only for the newer models not for the SC. Go and buy a key fob and find the instruction to program the fob yourself its easy.
Old 06-13-11, 08:21 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Ok my mistake, there no chip to start the car. My question is how can I program the key fob without a master key or secondary key. Only have Valet key.
Old 06-13-11, 08:51 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Find a SC fob off ebay, i got mine for like $30 and either they give you instructions to program it, or it is on CL somewhere just search for it
Old 06-13-11, 09:01 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Find a SC fob off ebay, i got mine for like $30 and either they give you instructions to program it, or it is on CL somewhere just search for it
I did search for instruction, most of them requires a master key or secondary key which I do not have.
Old 06-13-11, 09:04 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I dont understand why people think you have a chip in your key for it to start. Only for the newer models not for the SC. Go and buy a key fob and find the instruction to program the fob yourself its easy.
Obviously you don't own a 1998+ SC. My 1998 has a factory immobilizer that needs the chip in the key fob programmed to start the car. Without it programmed, it would only activate the starter but not start the car.
Old 06-13-11, 09:09 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

You are giving wrong information. He needs the master key to program another master key or valet key. Without a master key, you are pretty much screwed.
Old 06-13-11, 09:12 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luxor
Obviously you don't own a 1998+ SC. My 1998 has a factory immobilizer that needs the chip in the key fob programmed to start the car. Without it programmed, it would only activate the starter but not start the car.
I only have a valet key, it does start the car. So maybe 98+ do have smart chip? Does it mean valet key have smart chip that can program to the fob? Or am I still screwed?
Old 06-13-11, 09:12 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

You are giving wrong information. He needs the master key to program another master key or valet key. Without a master key, you are pretty much screwed.
I guess you are correct since i never owned a 98+ SC so i wouldn't know. Cause what happened to him happened to me as well. I was able to buy a fob and it worked. Thanks for correcting me
Old 06-13-11, 09:43 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by horent135
I only have a valet key, it does start the car. So maybe 98+ do have smart chip? Does it mean valet key have smart chip that can program to the fob? Or am I still screwed?
Valet key can only unlock both doors and start the car. Unfortunately you cannot use the valet key to program a master key. Yes the valet key has the smart chip imbedded inside the gray key head, this allows the immobilizer to work.

Here is a good thread with some good info along with great programming instructions(which I used to program my 2nd back up master key and valet key.)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...mming-key.html

Post #10 and #36 provides some good info that may help you.
Old 06-13-11, 09:51 PM
C-SupraTT
Driver

In my case, this is what I did three weeks ago for my 1999 SC400. I bought a "long" blank key off ebay with the "empty fob case" for under $ 15. I then prepay/sent the blank to Sewell Lexus in Dallas for them to cut the key with proof of who I am and VIN #/Insurance Card. They sent the cut key back to me, and I can use the new key to manually unlock the door and start the car. There are NO chip on the key and I did not press any buttons on my working key fob. Works like a champ because I really needed a spare in case I lost the original.
Old 06-14-11, 07:01 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by C-SupraTT
In my case, this is what I did three weeks ago for my 1999 SC400. I bought a "long" blank key off ebay with the "empty fob case" for under $ 15. I then prepay/sent the blank to Sewell Lexus in Dallas for them to cut the key with proof of who I am and VIN #/Insurance Card. They sent the cut key back to me, and I can use the new key to manually unlock the door and start the car. There are NO chip on the key and I did not press any buttons on my working key fob. Works like a champ because I really needed a spare in case I lost the original.
That idea is good but I want a working key fob in my situation.
Old 06-14-11, 07:54 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Valet key can only unlock both doors and start the car. Unfortunately you cannot use the valet key to program a master key. Yes the valet key has the smart chip imbedded inside the gray key head, this allows the immobilizer to work.

Here is a good thread with some good info along with great programming instructions(which I used to program my 2nd back up master key and valet key.)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...mming-key.html

Post #10 and #36 provides some good info that may help you.
Thanks for the info, I going to pray that the previous owner did not use the one time key replacement service. Otherwise, I have to go to a local locksmith.

Quick Reply: key replacement help