SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Coupes you think are comparable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 08:04 AM
MySCSucks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupes you think are comparable?

While I wait and pray someone can help me with my stupid turn signals, I was wondering what coupes (especially Japanese ones) you think are comparable to our old but wonderful SC's.

For me there's only a couple I covet.

G35/37. Especially the first redesign. I actually like the first redesign better than the newer curvier ones. If I was going to get another coupe, this would be my first choice. Sexy, powerful, luxurious, fun to drive.

MR2. The ones from 92 to like 97 I think it is. Look awesome, fast as hell, not as luxurious, more of a pocket rocket.

Accord Coupe. Even though it's stupid FWD, I think the new coupes look awesome. 270HP is nice too, although watch the torque steer.

I like the newer SC's, but I think they didn't do the best job.

I don't like any of the American coupes, Cobalt, Camaro, Stang, etc. Corvette maybe, or CTS-V but those aren't really comparable IMO.
Old 06-14-11, 08:16 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nissan silvia s15, is sleek and aggressive only japan though =( its a true shame
newer pontiac gto, i like it...
hyundia genesis!, my fav budget sport type car in the whole wide world at the moment
hyundia tiburon, looks good! but fwd
toyota solora, looks like an sc?
toyota supra, of course...
nissan 300zx
mazda rx-7(FD)
mazda rx-8

there are so many more... but are cars a cheap now so they only compare in looks not real dollar value

Last edited by iridebmx; 06-14-11 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-14-11, 08:22 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

mr2 was sick and can look mean. the older accord coupe can look good too. but the g35 is ***** as hell.
obviously there is the supra.
acura rsx is ok.
overall i would choose none of these over the sc
if anything could take the place of an sc for me the skyline gtr is about it and i hate almost all nissans except that one. i love the square body skyline. too bad i dont live in tokyo.
Old 06-14-11, 08:32 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

so what was the question? OP you should have just bought an accord or civic coupe or a nissan or eclipse
Old 06-14-11, 08:42 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MKIV /thread
Old 06-14-11, 08:56 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In terms of luxury and performance combined (with mods of course)....nothing. Im not even going to mention any of the FWD's listed cause they simply just dont compare. The G35 is quick, but rides like crap, and has some luxury to it, but for the timeline the SC has (mine being a 92) I would still take it over a G35 even though it has 4 12v outlets in the front alone..?... MR2's are nice, and can be very fast, but lack luxury all around and were never meant to have it in the first place. RX8's are garbage IMO, FD's are ok provided the rotary is thrown in the garbage.

Supra comes close, but still lacks some of the SC features that set it apart.
Old 06-14-11, 09:11 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbodremz
In terms of luxury and performance combined (with mods of course)....nothing. Im not even going to mention any of the FWD's listed cause they simply just dont compare. The G35 is quick, but rides like crap, and has some luxury to it, but for the timeline the SC has (mine being a 92) I would still take it over a G35 even though it has 4 12v outlets in the front alone..?... MR2's are nice, and can be very fast, but lack luxury all around and were never meant to have it in the first place. RX8's are garbage IMO, FD's are ok provided the rotary is thrown in the garbage.

Supra comes close, but still lacks some of the SC features that set it apart.
You have a thread on ur build?

As far as this thread, for what u get theres not much that compares not only price range wise, but if your basing it on the year also.
Old 06-14-11, 09:27 AM
1jzchris
Pole Position

Supra
RX-7
Eclipse gsx.....................i like those also, but a Sc is a SC.
Old 06-14-11, 09:31 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's rare to disagree with you Turbodremz but I have to say the Acura CL-S in luxury and body style is similar. The biggest difference is FWD vs RWD both were offered in manual and auto, both have 6 cylinders, and both are Jap. Even though the CL-S 6 speed is a bit rare they have the mods available. Just hands down the SC has a lot more opportunities to have high HP numbers vs the CL-S.
Old 06-14-11, 09:40 AM
MySCSucks
Driver School Candidate

Forgot the GSX, I love those when done right.

I only want RWD stick shift or AWD stick shift and there's not a lot of options there really. For me it was SC or G35 and that's about it. And the 6MT Leather G35's are too rare and expensive.

I considered a GSX/TSi, but there were too many horror stories for me.

I'd like to get an STi, but they're just too expensive. For the price of one of those used with 120k miles I could get 2 SC's and hook them up too.
Old 06-14-11, 09:52 AM
1jzchris
Pole Position

i just realise that your name is "MYSCSUCKS".....................wow.
Old 06-14-11, 09:57 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

so then its unanimous! the sc is the best coupe any of us could afford.lol guess thats why we all chose it and ended up on cl. now then what do you prefer an xbox 360 or a ps3?........................................................... dont answer that...........
Old 06-14-11, 10:03 AM
MySCSucks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1jzchris
i just realise that your name is "MYSCSUCKS".....................wow.
I'm just very angry at it right now. Mostly angry at myself for not fully understanding hyper blink and ordering these stupid sequential turn signals (which will look awesome when installed) without asking the right question.

I love my SC dearly. My wife actually thinks I might be unduly devoted to her. I only wish I had more money to finish up the last few mods I really want.

I've been lurking here off and on and I've gotten a ton of great info. I'm mad that my first post had to be a question, but I get what I deserve for not properly understanding my car.
Old 06-14-11, 10:04 AM
MySCSucks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
so then its unanimous! the sc is the best coupe any of us could afford.lol guess thats why we all chose it and ended up on cl. now then what do you prefer an xbox 360 or a ps3?........................................................... dont answer that...........
I'm almost ashamed to tell people how little I paid for my car. It looks so nice and has the name and the look and everything. I see these people with 10,000 dollar cars and they're totally jealous of mine. That's like the best feeling ever.
Old 06-14-11, 10:06 AM
kwahaus
Driver School Candidate

I know you said Japanese, but unlike most on here that think of the SC as an alternative to a Supra TT, I think the SC as more of a Japanese Jag XK. Both are rear drive, V8 coupes, have similar proportions and are more of a luxury GT than a sports car. As Mazda made a better MG with the Miata, perhaps Lexus' original goal was to trump the Europeans with a personal luxury GT that was cheaper yet more reliable.

Quick Reply: Coupes you think are comparable?