SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Think I will have to pay for this? Hope not...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02 | 02:46 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Question Think I will have to pay for this? Hope not...

Have my car in body shop right now to get a dent taken out of the rear quarter panel, etc. The window frame around that driver side rear window was chipped too (black and chrome frame) so I got a new one and told him to also put that on since he had to take rear window out to do quarter panel.
Turns out he said someone put a new rear quarter panel on the car and there was some pressure on the window or something and when he tried to take it out it cracked. $430.00. He couldnt find an aftermarket one so he had to get a new one from Lexus.
Do you think I will be charged for that window, or do auto body people have some sort of insurance that covers stuff like that?
Id call now but the shop closes early on Thursdays, I just heard the message from him on the phone.
Old 09-12-02 | 03:16 PM
KILLERLEXUS
Rookie

bs...find a new body shop, it seems like these guys are amatures, how could they blame that on the other shop when you drove there with a good window, only when they try to do work did the window break?// sounds like bs to me....they should pay for that since they broke it , but if they dont ur insurance should cover it, just say some one broke it , while park outside
Old 09-12-02 | 05:50 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I think you misunderstood. The body shop never blamed it on anyone else, they admit they did it. They simply said there was a new quarter panel put on the car and when they went to unscrew something, the window broke today.
Old 09-12-02 | 08:06 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I'm not an expert on this subject, but it certainly sounds plausible to me that the glass could have been stressed to a near-fracture point and this work just added enough additional stress to bust it.

As to whether you'd have to pay for it, I'm really not sure.

Ral
Old 09-12-02 | 09:09 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

mj24,

The saying, "You broke it you buy it" comes into mind.

If you bring your car into the shop and they break the window...they buy it. You cannot be responsible for their lack of skill. It is no different than if the shop broke anything else on your car...it doesn't matter if they were in the act of fixing it or not.

MW
Old 09-12-02 | 09:18 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Whats up PC. No I agree totally...I just feel kinda bad because they are good people, and he never implied I would have to pay for it on the message. Good to know that insurance covers that though.
Reason I brought this up actually is I messaged an auto body shop owner on the net after I got the message on my answering machine and this owner said that technically because there was stress placed on there from whoever installed the previous quarter panel, that it wasnt this body shops fault it broke. He said if it were his shop, he would have split the costs with the owner. Which does suck....not my fault. Anyways, Ill find out one way or another tomorrow when I pick car up.
Old 09-12-02 | 09:38 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

mj24,

That stress on the glass from quarter panel story is BULL. If the glass has any pressure on it, the car going over a driveway or speedbump would torque enough to pop that glass like a ZIT. Any window under pressure at rest will not last 10 miles in a moving car. Not to mention the heat of summer and the expansion from direct sunlight.

Give the shop a call and I am sure they will take responsibility. Also, do not report this to your insurance, that is FRAUD. If you know who broke it, and then call your insurance, they will go after the shop and cause another mark on your insurance for having to do the dirty work. Your insurance will cover a vandalism claim if you have comprehensive coverage.

MW
Old 09-13-02 | 01:07 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Oh heck no Im not reporting it to my insurance, when I said that in my previous post (glad insurance covers something like that), I meant the shop's insurance.