SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HISTORY repeating itself. Tired reposts over and over again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 10:23 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man this thread is already too long to just jump into , I just glazed over what was said and here are my thoughts... First of all, sitting around in the SC300/400 forum alone can get boring after a while, espcially when the same 20 topics are cycled through over and over with the occassional "pics of my new mod" thread. So if you're getting burnt out from that, don't start frequenting Club Lexus less and less. Try exploring other forums. The Lexus Lobby always has new topics and rarely recycles old threads. I'm sure not EVERYONE here is a wheel expert, so read up on the wheel forum too. There's a crapload of good info in the Maintenance forums, and if you're not a Photoshop expert yet, there are tons of tips in there too! There's more to do on CL than you have time in the day for so don't limit yourself to just the SC forums. By all means explore!

Repeat topics: I don't mind them at all unless they are worded almost to the T as another thread less than a week old. Then I consider it a redundant thread. Our cars have been discontinued for years with little focus on aftermarket to begin with (as is our engine) so there's not much news surrounding them these days. Anything new you hear about for the SC is either a custom fabrication or something for another car that happens to fit ours. Generally speaking, only the newbies ask repeat questions because doing a search for "intakes" and reading all the threads can be understandably tedious and exhausting when all you have is one simple question to get answered. Responding to such threads with "do a search!" only works to scare off newbies. Basically these complaints only work to scare off newbies, reduce CL activity by reducing threads and thus reducing posts. I'd rather not this place become desolate like other Lexus forums I've seen on the net. I'd rather it be when I miss a day logging on and come back to my computer, every thread on the forum page has new responses to read. Topics are just topics. A thread about intakes last month may contain different opinions, ideas, and information as the same thread about intakes a month later. Just do a search on intakes and read through the progression of ideas about them from Feb 2001 to today.
Old 09-12-02, 10:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Concerning an SC300/400 FAQ, Ethan and I discussed making one a while back, but for me to do it alone is just way too much work to fit in. So if you guys really want a FAQ, then we will all have to collaborate on it and produce a definitive document. This will reduce many annoying newbie questions like "Considering an SCx00, what should I look for?" and such. If you guys are up for it, we can get that baby rolling. Something new to do in the SC forums
Old 09-12-02, 11:52 PM
Snowman9000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

28? 24? Yeah, you guys are OLD, alright. Old enough to be my kids!

What you are bummed about happens in all forums. The only answer, if you want to continue to use the forum, is to forget about it and skip over the stuff that doesn't interest you. Trying to suppress newbies (like me), fools, and blowhards is like stepping on a balloon, it just keeps popping up somewhere else.
Old 09-13-02, 12:48 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I'm game for helping to create a FAQ, although my knowledge is limited.

Ral
Old 09-13-02, 08:44 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've said this since the day I joined this forum back like in 1997 -

We need a F.A.Q section and an archive of "How to's" for people that have done nice writeup's on things theyve done.

Thanks Anthracite for letting me borrow that soap box.
Old 09-13-02, 12:05 PM
SCV8
Instructor

There's always room for developement in any given area,even if it seems like a dead issue;what if you missed out on a nice Rotrex blower kit, just because you were so tired of reading about Vortech dreams?
I do my own research,always have,can't follow,but that's just me.
Old 09-13-02, 01:05 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default and FAQ that's ever evolving..

Good point mr. j 24.

Yes..if you have questions about the eibach suspension..why the 400 costs 100 more than the 300.

There should be a CENTRAL FAQ place that is ever evolviing that can explain that discrepancy for you.
So if newbies come in regarding carbon fiber hoods, suspension, hid lights, turbos..etc....There is a distinct place to go and almost all of their desires can be met. And if not..we ADD ON to it.

THEN...the rest of the forum can be used for people WRITING about the GOOD things about the stuff they have installed or learened through the FAQ and how they enjoy them and posting pictures about them. HOw nice would that be???=)

But you guys are right that repeat posts are inevitable. TIme moves on..and is probably passing me by that I am on this soap box trying to offer alternatives. =)

Anyhow...thanks for replying to this thread. Lots of good thoughts here.
Old 09-13-02, 04:03 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Please start posting your FAQ info here
Old 09-13-02, 04:26 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks anthracite, and I dont even know the answer...I dont think anyone knows it to be honest (about 300 v. 400 Eibachs). Good post though my man, it is getting everyone in gear!
Old 09-15-02, 10:58 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Default good stuff

Just got back from another roadtrip, catching up, this thread is valuable.

My $0.02:

This is, after all, a FORUM. Not a reference library (yet - the FAQ is a great idea, and the "literature" that some folks are willing to submit will be a benefit to us all - -)

And a FORUM is all about People Talking To Each Other.

Let's keep right on doin' that.

This FORUM is ostensibly about a CAR, but it is really about PEOPLE. We are all interested in this wonderful Japanese machine, but we keep coming back here because of the PEOPLE who educate us, make us laugh, ask dumb (no, make that "repetitive") questions, **** us off, make a good point, act like jerks or geniuses...

So Thanks, Anthracite, for your rant - Keep It Up!

I'll be back...

Last edited by strongsail; 09-15-02 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-27-03, 08:00 AM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

I am as guilty as anyone for asking questions when I first logged on that had probably been asked a zillion times. For me though, I was so excited to find this site that I just asked away. This is by far the best Lexus site out there...period. Now that I have been on for a while, and finally using the search feature, the new topics and questions presented have already all been answered in some way, shape or form. I guess I don't have the knowledge a lot of you veteran ClubLexus users have, so I just look over all the new SC questions and try to take a little something new out of the posts even if they are redundant.
Old 03-27-03, 08:43 AM
LexFather

Sweet SC.

Old thread

Old 03-27-03, 03:36 PM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks 1SICKLEX, I appreciate the compliment. Yeah, I think I need to concentrate on some newer threads though
Old 03-27-03, 03:53 PM
LexFather

Dude, I think it's okay when a newb asks a question cause as u stated, your so excited that you just get caught in the moment. However, some of the questions frequently asked are not by newbs, IMO.

So what u do to your SC.

Old 03-27-03, 06:46 PM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate your words of encouragement. Here are my current mods: Injen intake, Mille Miglia MMII 18x8 and 18x9's w/ Kuhmo Ecsta's, Bradi CD/slotted rotors, stainless lines, Green Stuff pads up front, painted calipers, custom fabbed exhaust with 4" tips and PIAA bulbs up front. Now for what I WANT to do this spring and summer: Brembo or AP racing big brake upgrade up front, 19" Lowenhart LD1's(Maido or Diablo replicas would work as well), carbon fiber strut bar, sway bars, shock and spring upgrade, torque converter and a real 4500k HID upgrade. After that I think I would be really happy for a while. The dream would be a turbo and drop in a six speed. What suspension set-up are you running on your car? What is your opinion for filling up the space in my wheels for brakes? The Brembo and AP kits look great but aren't the most practical for the money. I was also thinking of going with Supra calipers and CD/slotted rotors. Thanks again for your help and opinion in advance.

Quick Reply: HISTORY repeating itself. Tired reposts over and over again.