SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HISTORY repeating itself. Tired reposts over and over again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 07:08 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HISTORY repeating itself. Tired reposts over and over again.

Hey guys.

I'm going to sound like an old fart (an old 28 yr old fart if that)..
but it's getting pretty redundant in this forum as of late(late..being this past year).

Before(I guess 98-99) this forum was really progressive. We were talking about new and exciting posts about things we could BUILD UPON for the SC400 1uz and SC300 2jz engines and cars.

But lately..people are rehashing the SAME OLD ideas over and over..and oblivious to the fact that we've talked about these ideas to DEATH for years..and yet still people come in talking like it's something new.

I thought (maybe in vein) that I could consolidate some overly REDONE topics in an attempt to avoid retreading them again:

PEOPLE CAN READ BELOW AND GET IT OUT OF THEIR SYSTEM AND TELL NEWBIES SO WE CAN PROGRESS INSTEAD OF RUNNING IN PLACE W/POSTS.

-TURBOS.If you want to know about Turboing an SC300 go to Turboimports.com or talk to Clint(sc300tt) in this forum. He and Jeff (sc300turbo) have been on this forum for years and should be considered resident experts on the subject. Also ebanks up in the east coast could help you out too. These guys get 600rwhp or more out of their lexus cars. So BIG power IS possible. ALso go to swift-racing cuz they are now creating custom turbo applications.

-Superchargers. NO one makes a mass produced SC400 v-8 supercharger. No one. Swift-racing can make you a custom made one, but everyone in this forum cringes of anything beyone 3 thousand bucks..and yet STILL expect quality for it?
And that "NEW" australian roots supercharger? that picture of that supercharger has been circulated and recirculated in this forum for YEARS. I'm sure the aussies love the "new" inquiries about their old blower every couple months..when we rehash it.
It's a poor setup and expensive and it's in FREAKIN australia! =)

-Regarding exhaust and mufflers. YES the Sc400/300 share the same muffler exhaust set up. END OF STORY.

-Suspension. YES the SC400/300 share the same suspension. Tein coilovers are adjustable and the best..but expensive. A cheap but middle of the road option are tokicos. END OF STORY.

-HID lights. Talk to Lex400sc. He's the resident expert on HID and has created an AWESOME retrofit HID set up for his SC400.
His picts look awesome. ALso HID BULBS are not HID. HID KITS are not HID. Lex400sc will tie up any loose ends on that subject. END OF STORY.

-YES..Supra brakes AND seats fit in the SC car. They work great, and are a cheap alternative to aftermarket brakes and seats.
END OF STORY.

-YES..THE SC300 CAN be turbo'd and also can have the supra engine transplated. END OF STORY

-Yes..the torque converter can be very helpful to the SC400/300. It cuts your 0-60 times by .5-.7 seconds...Does NOT hurt driveability and only enhances it. Go to swift-racing or precision industries to get one. YOu can get your local dealer or rice racer shop to install it cheap. END OF STORY

-Clear taillights are available by a custom OUTSIDE vendor now outlawed by clublexus. But if you want to bake yours in the oven just for the LOOK and to spare yourself a dime go for it. But again..you get wut you pay for. A steak at sizzler is not like a stake at a NY steakhouse.(hope that analogy works) END OF STORY

-There is NO clear cut carbon fiber hood supplier YET. As EMERALD cuz her boy is coming out w/them and should be the frontrunner. END OF STORY

-The cupholder from newer model SCs CAN and WILL fit into older models. Just takes instructions about 30 bucks for the parts and 30 min to screw it all in. END OF STORY

There are PLENTY MORE retreads..but I can't fit it all. These are just a few.

FEEL FREE To add some retreads that could be consolidated.

LASTLY........ PET PEEVES:

1)IF you have a question about a certain part of vendor WHY do most people spend their time asking others in the forum what the price and availibity and detail on the part? Wouldn't it be BETTER and more LOGICAL to actually CALL that vendor?

2) SO MANY people come in this forum, worrying about "is this legal?" "is this going to hurt my reliability" etc. Look..ANY aftermarket part is not necessarily legal or illegal. It's a grey area that most are willing to tread for their own gain.
Talkign about it back and forth..OVER and OVER does nothing.
IF you like certain performance parts..go out and GET IT.
It's just a matter of whether you just want to be a TALKER or a DOER.

3)Lastly..out of respect for the people in this forum, if you have any of the above inquiries or posts....or have the newest on this months NEWS on a body kit...be like the guy who posted on the suspension and preface it with "I know this is redundant..but"
It's just cool and good manners.

Okay..I really DO sound like an OLD fart now.
But it's just painful to watch people retread the same subjects over over over and not look for new and innovative things for our cars.

Here's a couple suggestions that maybe aren't SO redundant?

Adding Nex GEN LED to many parts of our cars?
In expensive ECU/turbos outside of the same vendors we speak of?
Custom badges and emblem manufacturers that the rest of us can do business with?
Custom upholsterers and carpet providers?
New engine component manufactuers? Pistons/valves etc?
Adding LED turn signals.
Custom illuminated door sills and WHERE to get em.
new CAR seats and vendors
NEW technology for our cars that we can borrow from other vehicles.
NEW maintenace ideas

Let's see if this post does any good. Not sure.
Maybe this will fall on deaf ears or maybe I've just been on this forum too long (probably all of the above). But I hope it will work

Last edited by Anthracite SC; 09-12-02 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-12-02, 07:13 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default ALSO no hostility here either

I'm not trying to be hostile by posting this. Just suggesting that we could do BETTER in this forum.
Old 09-12-02, 07:23 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Amen brother. That's why I started looking more at the GS forum than ours. If I see another post about "subwoofer" I think I'm going to scream.

Shane
Old 09-12-02, 07:42 PM
Static911

https://www.clublexus.com/Informatio...neral/hid.html

lex400sc's HID writeup.

Ethan
Old 09-12-02, 07:57 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Heck, I've only been on this forum for a few months and whenever I have a question, I always do an exhaustive search of the message archive before I start a thread. There's too many people on here to do otherwise, and I'm sure that a lot of it has already been discussed.

The archive search engine. Use it.

Ral
Old 09-12-02, 08:08 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very well said, but you have to understand that CL is a growing community with newbies signing up everyday. How are they supposed to know about the "search" button when they're just so excited about being on the forum. Yes, threads are repetitive, but i think that now with the used SC market being so affordable, we're getting more and more teens/young adults with the SC coupe.

Not everyone who post their first thread may be as knowledgable as you or Rich, or manary, etc etc. but i think of it is we were all once a newbie to this forum with many questions. eh, so what if they post a new thread about springs or shocks, i'm sure the first couple of responses would be "welcome to the forum" and "do a search."

Everyone learns by their mistakes. Everyone just probably just wants to make sure they're doing things right the first time, all the time.

I'm neutral on this. No, i'm not a youngins (I'm 24). Not everyone has the cash to spend on tail lights or a body kit. Heck, Most of them don't even have a job paying over $10 bucks per hour. They can't afford the good things in life, so let them ask questions and have them learn for themself. I'm sure they mean well. We can't help that not everyone has a good paying job.

No offense to anyone who reads this post. PM me if you want. I've been here a while too, and things can and will be dicussed over and over again.
Old 09-12-02, 08:22 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

That's very true. When I joined this forum back in liek june or july I had my car for about a year but I didnt know anything at all about it. After I joined I learned so much. Its september now and I have no clue you could even open the headlights and clean them. I was so sure I woudl have to buy new ones. I thought aftermarket for the SC's was totally non exsistant. After reading posts on here I found out you can do so much. I just started college and I'm learning the everything cost a lot of money. I dont have a job yet and after I get one I know I wont be able to spend it on my car since I have tuition and books plus food and rent to pay for. I'll be lucky if I can pay for gas. This car is amazing and I plan to do a lot of things to it but I cant afford $1100 or $1200 tail lights. I just dont have enough money for it. People are probably going to say well why do you have a Lexus than? Well it wasnt really my choice my parents got it for me and they just pay for insurance. If I was making enough money for body kits springs tail lights headlight super or turbo chargers I'd go out and buy them in a second. Anyways most people just joining dont really know much about this car and dont know what to search for. Its kind of confusing so they just post a thread which is the easist way to find out what they're asking. I always try to answer any topic by whatever I know. If I dont know I tell them to search and how they could find information on what is it they're asking. Its not a big deal. It takes liek 2 minutes to post a reply to help a fellow SC owner out. I'm not saying what you posted is wrong. It does get boring to read the same post everyday but it always nice to help someone else out too.
Old 09-12-02, 08:23 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, although you bring up some valid points, I think you are overreacting too.
Granted, I think one should try to use the search engine...but if they end up reposting oh well. I just dont read or respond to that post. I just find it pointless when someone responds and acts all mad and says use the search engine! I mean...why even respond? Why even read it then? Its a message board and you click on the threads you want to read, and leave the ones you dont. I just never understood why people acted all bothered because they had to respond to a post when they shouldnt even read it then.
Then obviously...yes...maybe something was discussed 6 months ago. Thing is...that post is buried in page 30 of the archives...maybe in that time someone has learned something new about the thing. Like the dash needles...people say look in the archives...OK, you look and one guy had mentioned how he was taking orders for indiglo needles, and then he fell off face of the earth. A lot of the archive stuff is useless because when questions were asked at the time, the person never responded back to the post or isnt a CL member anymore. Now like the front end conversion...that is like on page 2...and is brought up once a week. That doesnt have to be.
To be honest....75% of the posts are probably reposts in some way, so we might as well shut down the forum and make it read only because apparently everything has been discussed and is "in the archives." See my point?
Old 09-12-02, 08:28 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Heres another thing I noticed...I think people assume that everything SC is interchangeable...like anthracite you said the sc300 and sc400 suspensions are the same, end of story. Well why are Eibachs $100 less for the 300 than the 400? Im not gonna take the word of one person, buy the sc300 springs, wreck my suspension, be out hundreds of dollars in repairs, etc. Just an illustration...
Old 09-12-02, 08:35 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

LOL

thats funny...shut down the forum

Its very true though. If everyone says do a search! then why post new thread if everything had been discussed

I think we need a good, thorough, well organized FAQ. I saw a really good one on a site for replacing EMV screen. I forgot the site now but they had like 161 questions. I think its in one of the post. I better do a search It would help new people out to see a FAQ section and if they read it, simple questions like needles and springs and just common stuff about SCs and what common things break. I think that would be a good idea. If they kept it at the top where the group buys and meetings always stay and call it something like "NEW? READ THE FAQ TO ANSWER MOST COMMON QUESTIONS." If it told them how to use the search effectivly and just simple stuff we do everyday. Very good idea I think.
Old 09-12-02, 08:41 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Reposts revisited is fine.

I think reposting is fine. I'm not saying covering the same topic is a problem.

But yes..my thread was sort of an FAQ. WE SHOULD create an FAQ to cover all the retreads It should be a sort of prerequisite to those who are newbies to the forum. =)
Old 09-12-02, 08:42 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Default FAQ-Excellent idea!

Great idea jimmit...a FAQ.
I think the GS board...no the SC430 board has one.
But if you "search the archives" you will notice that although this has been brought up over the last few years, its never been done.
I think everyone would all be willing to help with that, and it would solve a lot of the problems on both sides....but like I said its been discussed before and no action was taken so to steal a line from anthracite "its just a matter of whether you are a talker or doer."
Old 09-12-02, 08:58 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: ALSO no hostility here either

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
I'm not trying to be hostile by posting this. Just suggesting that we could do BETTER in this forum.
gahd damn

how old are u

sarcasm again eh?
Old 09-12-02, 09:05 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Aznteazer

as your name says I'm just "teazing"
Old 09-12-02, 09:52 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I wasn't trying to imply that EVERYTHING has already been discussed. Just that the search feature is a good place to start. About half the time I get the answer to my question without ever posting.

I'm 31 and just got my SC300. I've admired them for years and now I can afford one (used, anyway).

I don't have the kind of income to shell out $1200 for taillights either. But I have decided to pony up the dough for some good forged wheels (mine are still OEM). The 15" stock size is impossible to get good tires for, so the upgrade is practical in some ways.

Even if you don't have the money for extensive work, like body kits and full repaint, etc., it's still a fabulous car that can look and run great with even minor work and maintenance.

Ral

Quick Reply: HISTORY repeating itself. Tired reposts over and over again.