SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New? Read This Faq To Answer Common Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 09:09 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New? Read This Faq To Answer Common Questions

To solve out problem with so many people reposting over and over we are all going to get together and get a good FAQ together. It will answer common questions like you're burned out needles you probably have, if there are any carbon fiber hood and a lot of other questions you might have. To start off I'll post a few things I can think of.

I think it would make it easier to read if questions and answers were receeded with some type of letter or letters to let the reader know what the question is related to. Example

-INTERIOR/DASH-
Q.My needles in my cluster gauge are not working. Is there a simple fix I can do or get done to get these to work again?

A. No as of right now there isn't a very easy way to do this. This problem is very common and requires a new cluster gauge.

See its pretty organized and lets someone know its about the interior and has something to do with the dash before they read it. So I think if we format the FAQ something like this is would work out pretty good. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-12-02, 09:15 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Isn't THIS a repost of this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=57729

????

MW
Old 09-12-02, 09:22 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah it is a repost (quit doing that!)...we need to organize everything and make it a sticky. If no one else wants to, I would be willing to organize all the different topics that people post or send and then type it up and then have the mod make it a sticky.
Old 09-12-02, 09:27 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Well like we said in that forum is would be easier to start a new thread thats actually a FAQ. If we all post whatever we think a FAQ shoudl have it should go in this thread so if a post has been covered in this we can just direct them here and if they still have a question we can answer it in that post. I just think it woudl be easier to post a thread thats an actual FAQ. So if everyone can pitch in we can get this started so no one can say "search for it you'll find a ton of threads on it" or "this topic has been beat to death" just point them to this post.
Old 09-12-02, 09:29 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

They can do that? Thats eaxctly what I had in mind. Just organinze a good one and have them post that sticky up. We can just delete this thread or close it or whatever. Sorry for reposting
Old 09-12-02, 09:33 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I have an idea.

I had this same issue on a tech support board in the past.

The message board format does not allow for a really good method of providing a FAQ. I really think the answer is a set URL with a standard html page containing the topics. Put an index on them and then post to that FAQ. Also post the link to the FAQ on the forum somewhere.

Then, we can post submissions, modifications, and edits to whoever will be in charge of this.

MW
Old 09-12-02, 09:35 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

That would work really good.

unless someone abuses it or a guest or someone messes with it
Old 09-12-02, 09:41 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

"unless someone abuses it or a guest or someone messes with it"

How could that happen? If it is a set HTML page hosted on a server, then nobody can modify it except for the FAQ moderator/host. Any changes would be emailed, pm'd, etc...

MW
Old 09-12-02, 09:43 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

OH sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant anyone can add or modify information on it. Well than if a moderator does it then it woudl be a nice and organized faq. That would work perfectly. Good thinking pcmw
Old 09-12-02, 10:30 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a wide range of FAQ topics that would be better organized/finalized on an HTML webpage where users can navigate to specific sections. We could use a thread to gather thoughts for a FAQ, but a webpage would be much easier to use.
Old 09-12-02, 11:10 PM
JT51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While we are at it, why don't we go and post some of our serious problems at the NHTSA site, it needs each individual who has had a particular problem to post that problem. An example would be the serious design flaw in the power steering pump and the placement of the alternator.
Old 09-12-02, 11:18 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

JT51,

Rough scenario...maybe playing devil's advocate here...

Car was made years ago, to complain now would be only hurting ourselves. If you complain to the NHTSA about a design of years ago, then they deem your car to be a Explorer (exploding tires/roll over) or an 80's Chevy truck (fake gas tank explosion) or a 70's Pinto (well just a POS)

Then you go to get the problem repaired by mandatory recall, like an Audi 5000 (accelerate with no pedal pressure). Now you own a car that is considered a problem. Resale value is crap, and we wasted a ton of Taxpayer money on it.

... my .02

MW
Old 09-12-02, 11:45 PM
Snowman9000
Rookie

Default Suggestion

I'm a newbie. I've been searching on various things and have found a lot. Anyway, here's my two cents re a FAQ.

FAQs are great sometimes. They are a lot of work always. The sticky post thing is pretty neat, here's what I suggest....
Instead of trying to write a FAQ from scratch, make a sticky FAQ post that just has links to threads that cover the FAQ issues.
Ie:
Gauge Needle problems: <link>
Turbocharging SC300: <link>
<A/C backlight fix: <link>
etc.

The moderator could edit/update/replace the post as he felt like it.

Actually anyone can put it together, but I assume the moderator has to make it sticky. It wouldn't take all that long, I don't think.

I have a few more newbie questions to ask in the next week or two. I hope you'll humor me, I have searched for the answers and come up missing on a thing or three.

Great site, btw!
Old 09-13-02, 01:14 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Default Snowman and SC

Gee...questions for everyone here.
I do agree now that a website is better. Problem Jimmit with your suggestion of a thread is there might be an interior FAQ on page 1...then another on page 3. A site would be more organized (yet another reason the archive can get old...sifting through 30 pages of junk on the topic you are researching).
So lets get it together.
Snowman, where in Illinois are you?
LexSC....I sent you a PM last week with 2 questions, one about the relay and one about what parking lights you are using with your HID, should I resend it or are you still getting to it? TIA
Old 09-13-02, 10:30 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

It would be nice if someone sat down, waded through all the crap, defined which posts are suitable and put them altogether in a nice searchable web page, till then try using the "search", works for me.

There is a guy in Oz trying to compile a definitive Soarer FAQ, he has been at it for six months now and probably regrets ever starting it, he has loads of stuff from here, LSOC, my site, the Oz sites, personal owner sites, Toyota, Supra, etc, I do not envy his task.

My site is mostly built around my personal experience as I come across and document the various issues, hence it is heavily tilted toward the TT Soarer but even that has become so large I really need to build a new menu structure to cope with the content which is growing daily.

Quick Reply: New? Read This Faq To Answer Common Questions