SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

flexible led strip for 3rd brakelight??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 08:27 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flexible led strip for 3rd brakelight??

so i got a pair of these 12" flexible led strips to use in place of the 3rd brake light. they have adhesive tape only on the back of them. i want to mount them somewhere in the back window. any ideas of how to mount them and make it look clean? since the adhesive backing is on the wrong side for sticking them to the window i am having a hard time plotting how to mount them. the only thing i can think of is black tape obviously this wont look good from inside the car. suggestions anybody? thanks for any help.
Old 06-22-11, 08:57 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Place them inside the rear deck 3rd brake light housing? I dunno...
Old 06-22-11, 09:11 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

ahh yes i forgot to mention i did the custom sub install in the rear deck and got rid of the factory 3rd light housing. now i just have a round grill back there covering the sub. so that is why i went looking for an alternative light. i dont like not having one and hate brake light out warning on the cluster so this is the solution.just trying to find a way to mount them and not have the red light shining into the cab of the car too much.
Old 06-22-11, 09:38 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
ahh yes i forgot to mention i did the custom sub install in the rear deck and got rid of the factory 3rd light housing. now i just have a round grill back there covering the sub. so that is why i went looking for an alternative light. i dont like not having one and hate brake light out warning on the cluster so this is the solution.just trying to find a way to mount them and not have the red light shining into the cab of the car too much.
Off topic but do you have any pics of the sub install??
Old 06-22-11, 09:41 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

sure. missed that one huh.
heres the thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rear-deck.html
Old 06-23-11, 04:45 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

i saw some dude mount it on his sunroof when tilted up on his sc300. I dont have the pic saved so i cant show you
Old 06-23-11, 07:50 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

^^^ Your talking about cleansc's car heres a pic:
Old 06-23-11, 07:50 AM
skousenjr
Driver

Could get a strip of some material lets say for example a L shape bracket. Attach the light strips to it, and take the side of the bracket that dose not have the strip and tuck into the headliner.
Old 06-23-11, 08:24 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

OR if all ur worried about is the light on the cluster install them and leave them inside ur headliner period. i know it sounds dumb... i think the car looks clean without the 3rd brake light
Old 06-23-11, 08:35 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

One of our older GS members (Gammalex, his GS is long gone, I bought the kit off of it for my old GS in 2005) pulled down the headliner and mounted the strip right at the rear window molding. Not that many good pics of it though

Not sure how similar the interior design of the SC is to know it can be done the same way though.
Old 06-23-11, 09:48 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

damn that one looks very clean... at least from the outside.
Old 06-23-11, 02:50 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

I'm down to do something like that, but im curious as to how bright it is. Since it has to shine through my limo tint
Old 06-23-11, 05:13 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
One of our older GS members (Gammalex, his GS is long gone, I bought the kit off of it for my old GS in 2005) pulled down the headliner and mounted the strip right at the rear window molding. Not that many good pics of it though

Not sure how similar the interior design of the SC is to know it can be done the same way though.
this was in fact the best idea i could come up with as well but with these flexible strips i got you cant screw them in. they just have adhesive tape on the back. my doubt is that the glue is strong enough to stick to the headliner material and stay there in the heat. it looks like this is the method i wanna use just have to come up with a solid way to mount them. i did a mockup of it last night and it does look pretty good. also my back window tint is pretty dark and it was plenty bright enough. thanks for the help guys i will post a pic when its done.
Old 06-23-11, 06:50 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

well it worked out. sort of.

but for whatever reason this did not fix the brake light warning on the cluster. fml.... any ideas why this wouldnt turn the light off? i wired it to the 3rd brake light leads. only thing i can figure is that the original bulbs i think are 6volt and the new led's are 12 volt. sob. idk. its plenty bright though and looks good. also you dont even see them from the interior unless your in the back seat looking up. the 3m tape on the led's stuck to the fabric of the headliner pretty good too. if it lets go i will just use some contact cement. job took 30 minutes to pull all the back interior out.
Old 06-23-11, 07:47 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

maybe a resistor will get rid of the brake light warning

Quick Reply: flexible led strip for 3rd brakelight??