SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Performance upgrades...and intakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 01:47 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance upgrades...and intakes

Searched the archive....lot on this stuff. I just want to confirm to make sure I read it all correctly.
Basically...if you have a SC400 like I do....getting a performance chip (aka changing computer) will cost me about 800-900 (dont really want to spend that for just 40hp).
So I guess I am looking to add on a few HP for cheaper...couple hundred or so...any ideas?
From what I gather, the only thing that might work would be some sort of intake...but then it seems from the archives that an intake might hurt your car....or in fact wont do anything performance wise for it at all! I just want a few more HP, etc at lower speeds. I dont really race this car so HP gains at 80 MPH and up wont be what Im looking for.
Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-02, 01:50 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

hey mj24,

Low end might get a benefit from a cold air intake and a nice cat back custom mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust.

May cost you around $500 or so.

Freeing up the air flow into and out of the engine is a effcient way to get the engine up and going from low speeds.

MW
Old 09-13-02, 01:53 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

PC, on the ball again
Any particular intakes you suggest? Also would I want one with a heatshield?
Ive always heard the horror stories of letting too much air into the engine along with the dust, etc will ruin your engine...false?
Old 09-13-02, 01:58 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Cold air intake like the one that Hermosa is selling is the BEST solution. Do a search in classifieds for hermosa's pics.

The 'cold air' intake means that the area around the filter is kept separate from the hot engine and supplied with outside fresh cold air.

The Filter element with 360degrees of filter element provides better, and cleaner air than the paper factory filter element. However it requires periodic cleaning.

Providing MORE air to an engine NEVER hurts it. With that theory a turbo, in which air is forced down the intake, would KILL an engine.

MW
Old 09-13-02, 02:01 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Will look up Hermosas intake right now, thanks as always!
Old 09-13-02, 02:07 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

PC.....just found the Weapon R pics. Hermosa quoted these prices....

"WR ECU $850
WR Intake/Airbox/Filter $365
WR RAM Air $65
ECU can be reprogrammed when going forced induction."

Would I want the $365 one or the $65 one? Or does the ram air need to be used in conjuction with the intake, airbox, filter (I am not educated in terms of performance mods)? Thanks.
Old 09-13-02, 02:19 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the ram air works in conjunction with the airbox and filter. The ram air just leads the air upto the filter & heatshield.

Tony
Old 09-13-02, 04:52 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

OK, Im going to go with a filter and a MAF adapter.
So panel or cone filter? I heard the cone filter actually robs you of HP at low rpm's....I dont want that.
Also, I heard a filter actually makes the throttle a little more throaty, is this the case with both the panel and cone filters?
Where should I get the MAF adapter?
93 sc400

Last edited by mjr24; 09-13-02 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-13-02, 06:24 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

without a heat shield the flow increase is negated by the rise in air temperature.
Old 09-13-02, 06:36 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

So I need to run a heatshield with this?? I thought theres many people running it without heat shield..
Old 09-13-02, 12:17 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Mjr24,

If you pm Hermosa, I am sure that he has EVERYTHING you need.

He returned his SC400 to stock for sale purposes and pulled off everything. He lives near me and I can attest to the fact that he is a meticulous person that spends the extra to get the good stuff.

MW
Old 09-13-02, 10:34 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

The Filter element with 360degrees of filter element provides better, and cleaner air than the paper factory filter element.
This is very interesting. Please quote your source for this information.
Old 09-13-02, 11:38 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Source: MW

"Our cotton air filter design flows substantially more air throughout the filter's life while maintaining filtration levels critical to ensure long engine life. On average, a square inch of our filter medium will flow at least 50% more air than a square inch of paper or synthetic filter media." K&N

"These dirt particles cling to the fibers of the filter and actually become part of the filtering media. This process, known as depth loading, allows the K&N air filter to retain significantly more dirt per square inch than a paper filter." K&N

"FIPKS utilize a 360-degree filter design which provides increased surface area to promote air flow" K&N

I found similar info on other sites as well....but you get the point.

MW

Last edited by pcmw; 09-13-02 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-14-02, 03:46 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

ahhh - I was hoping it was going to be something else besides the advertising on the side of a K&N filter box or the blurb on a K&N website.
I can get Amsoil filter blurbs that say the same thing and put themselves above K&N for flow and filtration. The Blitz foam filter blurbs are equally impressive.

The only independent Journal paper I have seen by the Society of Automotive Engineers (US) looking at dust filtration put the K&N behind paper.

On the dyno we couldn't measure any improvement changing a new Lexus filter for a K&N or even removing the filter altogether. I have measured a reduced pressure loss across a K&N panel indicating higher flow than a stocker - but it was very small.

I've been logging dirt contamination in my oil analyses and will try a K&N in the future to see if it lets more dirt in.
Old 09-14-02, 02:31 PM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I SIMPLE DO NOT BELIEVE THAT ONLY CHIP TUNING (CHANGE PROGRAM OR ALL ECU) CAN GIVE 40 HP ON NORMALLY ASPIRATED ENGINE
THAT IS PURE BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5-10 HP AT BEST, THAT IS ALL I THINK. CHIP TUNING MAKE SENSE IN MODIFY ENGINE, IN STOCK PERHAPS IT IS MAX 5%GAIN.
I REALLY WANT SEE THAT 40 HP JUST BY CHANGE FUEL AND SPARK CURVES.
JERRY

Quick Reply: Performance upgrades...and intakes