17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Who's The Top Dog SC? 1UZ vs 2JZ

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 09:00 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Good luck catching my sc400vvti. Stock for stock this car will kill any cars thats on the pole, there is no comparison with this beast.
Old 06-29-11, 10:04 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sintokill
Ohhh yes.Stock is the magic word
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCMTKERT6yQ&NR=1
cmracingonline.com
So what are the specs?

Originally Posted by VelocityBall
879.32 rwhp @ 28psi (will have another dyno at 34psi once I get a new drive shaft) There are many SC's with much more power than mine.
2jz-gte

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-QYsexHIEM

Can't believe I read this entire thread...
A stock OBDI SC400 is lucky to make 200rwhp. I have dyno'd many of them. Most make around 185 at the wheels. Not sure where some of the info in this thread has come from.
You got a serious machine there!

I honestly think my 97 will put down 180-185whp on the dyno. After the intake and exhaust, that car opened up a bit. More on the top end, but atleast I no longer feel it runs out of breath at 5k. Anyone ever dyno a manual with CAI, headers, exhaust and a tune? I wonder what kind of numbers that will put down? I know it's a waste because for about the same price I will pay for this I could easily boost. However, I'm unsure of whether or not to boost this car.

I too think some of the numbers are being fudged a bit on the 400 because I've seen dyno sheets on GS400 and they are rated at 300hp, but dyno under 240whp stock. They also open up a bit with a few mods, but everything is just so expensive for the 1uz
Old 06-29-11, 10:20 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Good luck catching my sc400vvti. Stock for stock this car will kill any cars thats on the pole, there is no comparison with this beast.
Ok, I don't dissagree, but now let's put say a budget of $2500. That's a realistic budget for atleast half the CL members, right. Adding boost to the mix, while you are stuck with limited part selections. You my friend will be left in the rearview mirror.
I wish componies would have spent more on developing parts for the 1uz, but the sad truth is, there's just no cheap way to mod and even less boost a 1uz other than remote mount. Which is not a bad thing either, just not a populer route. Bottom line, 2J's are the smarter choice if you plan to mod with a 9-5 budget.
Old 06-30-11, 01:06 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Interesting thread and posts

Wow! I am off the rest of this week and am up late finalizing my work, my home project plans for the weekend, how much time I will spend on my project car (twin turbo SC400), how much time I will spend on my new TREK Ion bike, etc.

I say wow because of the many diverse posts and opinions here...since the thread did say "top Dog, 1 UZ or 2jz", I knew some sparks would fly...but this thread has stayed rather calm, even though Dave has had to jump in and ref the posts a few times...

I do wish more people would simply comply with the request and post up their engine/ set up pics, specs and dynos as the OP requested. A couple of you have and let's hope to see more.

Shane's 800+ WHP SC300 is a badass car!!! I know, as I have had the fortune to not only see it in person, but to drive it...the boosted 2jz is phenomenal! His car is quick, and will snap your head back without a second thought! I have also ridden in Scott's 800+ SC300 2jz, boosted again, and it is another insane ride. Scott is known as Motorheaddown on this forum, and Shane is Velocity Ball. I am fortunate to have them both as not only good friends, but as knowledgable people that have both been a world of help to my project. Both have spent hours of their valuable time with me on my car, and at no charge, because they respect what I am doing to the 1UZ and because they are just "good guys" and good friends.

The 2jz is a badass motor and it has been proven time and time again. It can make great power without touching the bottom end. It is far more proven than the 1UZ. Which one is better? I do not think there is one better than the other; but rather, which one is preferred? To make reliable big power, both motors need to be built. Both will be expensive to do so.

The UZ just has not been done much in the US, just as some have previously stated on this thread.

I am also good friends with ScottURnot, and UZZ-TT. Scott has just so many irons in the fire that he simply has not had time to work on his project enough to finish it...but, it will be a very serious performer when it is done. Zach, he made the very wise decision to put his passion on hold, sell his car and go back to college to get the training and degree he wants to further his life. He will be back...

My project, well if you know it, and have followed it, then you know I actually split the thread into 2 so because it was so very long, and to separate Stage 1 from Stage 2. My V8TT is running, driving, and has a street tune from none other than Darin Dichiara. I am working out the final kinks, and I will dyno tune it with Darin very soon. At that time, I will post up the numbers.

In the mean time, here is a pic and the last video I made of the engine running and idling. No question this car will be a beast...will it out do the 2jz? Well, how much more money do I want to spend? How much more time do I want to keep it off the road and under the knife? If you have enough money to throw at a car, you can make just about anything fast. Which is better, I don't know, and I don't care...I prefer the V8 because I love them, and I chose it. But, I also love the 2jz. I think all should be proud...These are awesome cars...PERIOD!

Video:

Pic:
Name:  MyTouchPics047.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  92.6 KB

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 06-30-11 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-30-11, 06:58 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Which one is better? I do not think there is one better than the other; but rather, which one is preferred? To make reliable big power, both motors need to be built. Both will be expensive to do so.
Best statement of the whole thread. Nice car too.
Old 06-30-11, 07:07 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@sc400TT one word for u brotha...SICK!
Old 06-30-11, 08:36 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I think all should be proud...These are awesome cars...PERIOD!
Could not agree with you more
Old 06-30-11, 11:19 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 100%^^ Off topic what headlights are in the black sc400?
Old 06-30-11, 11:30 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^
Complete custom badassery headlights! If you search through Phase II thread I think he shows them off.
Old 06-30-11, 11:47 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
im sorry clublexus that i messed up the thread
dont worry man you didnt ruin the thread at all.

well for what its worth heres my one and only post on this longstanding debate.

The 1z/2z's are much easier to boost due to availability and lower cost of parts we all know this to be fact.

But if the same turbos and same parts went into a 1uz and a 2jz and were tuned and driven the same im quite sure the 1uz would win out everytime.

The v8 in my opinion is the better engine, for reliability and performance.
Old 06-30-11, 12:59 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Ok, I don't dissagree, but now let's put say a budget of $2500. That's a realistic budget for atleast half the CL members, right. Adding boost to the mix, while you are stuck with limited part selections. You my friend will be left in the rearview mirror.
I wish componies would have spent more on developing parts for the 1uz, but the sad truth is, there's just no cheap way to mod and even less boost a 1uz other than remote mount. Which is not a bad thing either, just not a populer route. Bottom line, 2J's are the smarter choice if you plan to mod with a 9-5 budget.
1UZ is cheaper to mod than a JZ for small budgets.

1000-1200 is enough for a full custom exhaust with intake. Good for 30hp+ on a 98 400 whereas a 10hp gain on the SC300 would be lucky.

A 2UZ block should be damn easy to do and with a 98 head atleast 300 hp, 320hp, maybe more. I don't see anyone doing this because no performance enthusiast who wants high horsepower would ever buy a 98 400s.

2500 gets you the most basic bare bones 1jz no r154 boostless controller swap that's still slower than a 98.
Old 06-30-11, 03:27 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x
1UZ is cheaper to mod than a JZ for small budgets.

1000-1200 is enough for a full custom exhaust with intake. Good for 30hp+ on a 98 400 whereas a 10hp gain on the SC300 would be lucky.

A 2UZ block should be damn easy to do and with a 98 head atleast 300 hp, 320hp, maybe more. I don't see anyone doing this because no performance enthusiast who wants high horsepower would ever buy a 98 400s.

2500 gets you the most basic bare bones 1jz no r154 boostless controller swap that's still slower than a 98.
Way wrong on gaining 30WHP with exhaust and intake. You need to throw in headers to be even near that number on a 1uz. On the 2j, you can piece a a decent turbo kit for around $1200 or buy a new one for $1400-1500. It won't be no major brand, but they seem to work.
As for the 1J, I bought a complete front clip, tuned with boost and A/F controller. It even came with a w58 for $2500 with the extended harness, so wrong again.
Old 06-30-11, 03:31 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

yes headers in part of the exhaust.

if your 1jz came with a w58 something is seriously wrong because 1jz were r154 all and that cost (2500) doesn't include final swap costs (intercooler, maintenance, it adds up very fast)

on cheap turbo kits. you will see people praise them (on all forums) with great build threads. Where are the 1 year from now results? Very few will come to tell us all the problems they have experienced.

Last edited by account2x; 06-30-11 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-30-11, 06:16 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x
yes headers in part of the exhaust.

if your 1jz came with a w58 something is seriously wrong because 1jz were r154 all and that cost (2500) doesn't include final swap costs (intercooler, maintenance, it adds up very fast)

on cheap turbo kits. you will see people praise them (on all forums) with great build threads. Where are the 1 year from now results? Very few will come to tell us all the problems they have experienced.
exhaust = headers? Sure
I never said my clip came from Japan, did I?
My 1J came turn key, in a car
Old 06-30-11, 06:24 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Headers is a "slang" term for the exhaust manifolds on a V-bank engine.

Quick Reply: Who's The Top Dog SC? 1UZ vs 2JZ