SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help with locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11 | 07:30 PM
chouston
Driver School Candidate

Default Help with locks

There is a long story that involves my 96 SC400 (you can skip this paragraph if you please and go to next). I've had it for 11 years now and last October I had what I thought was a friend start working on its body by fixing some accidents and putting on a body kit. Long story short... he ended up being on crack, driving my car for about 6 months, getting arrested in my car, on and on and on. A car shop he left it at put an abandonment title on my car. I had to get the title back. The used to be a good bodyman turn crackhead lost my key... my only key with remote. I also had to put in paperwork with our local government. I know I should've never trusted a "friend". I will always get a contract from a real business.

The master key that he lost was the only key that I had since I bought the car. So, I went to the dealership and ordered another key from the VIN and it didn't work on any of the locks. I returned the key and they ordered another one cut from the VIN and it didn't work either. Now they told me that the car had to have been relocked before I bought it. It was hard to believe, but after reading different post on this forum site I realize that that was very much possible. So, the car must've been relocked before I bought it in 2000.

Before I relock the whole car, is the "new VIN" anywhere in the car? Would the installers of the lock set write it anywhere before they install? Is the "new VIN" somewhere on the lock cylinder?

YOUR HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Old 06-28-11 | 07:33 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

You have to removed the passenger lock cylinder, and there will be a code. Give it to a locksmith or something who can laser cut keys. Usually when cars are abandon or repossessed, they change the locks. This is a common thing.
Old 06-28-11 | 07:55 PM
chouston
Driver School Candidate

How many digits am I looking for on the passenger lock cylinder? Will this key open all of the locks on the car? Thanks.
Old 06-28-11 | 08:08 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

4-5 digits. That should work for all the locks, only if they changed all the locks.
Old 06-28-11 | 08:14 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

What's up with people losing their master keys lately. I've seen like 3 threads now where something happens to the master key.
Old 06-28-11 | 08:34 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

I started a chain reaction!
Old 06-28-11 | 08:48 PM
chouston
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your advice. I will begin to look for someone to cut the key tomorrow.
Old 06-29-11 | 09:08 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

so you gave your friend youre car for 6 months ?

All to do some body work and install a kit?
Old 06-29-11 | 10:21 AM
chouston
Driver School Candidate

I gave it to him for a few weeks because I hit a deer and it damaged the front of the car pretty bad. The car had two small accidents on it from bumping posts. The kit doesn't fit well... so it should of taken a few weeks. Maybe two months if he was working on it slowly on the side. At three months I wanted my car back and he kept promising me the car. After four or five months, I recieved a notice about the title and that is when I made my move. I know I should've handled things differently, but I was heavy in grad school and work. This is the first time I let something like this happen to me and it will be the last.
Old 06-29-11 | 10:23 AM
chouston
Driver School Candidate

I got to see the car after a month and it did have all of fenders fixed and painted as well as the other places on the car painted as I expected, but the kit wasn't completely put on. I was having it done very cheap (not a good idea now). So, I thought hey... why not wait a month or two for the car and drive my extra car. Bad move! I should of got my car back in pieces if I had to.
Old 06-29-11 | 10:40 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

well main thing is you got your car back .

Good luck on getting your key problem fixed.
Old 11-10-11 | 10:14 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chouston
There is a long story that involves my 96 SC400 (you can skip this paragraph if you please and go to next). I've had it for 11 years now and last October I had what I thought was a friend start working on its body by fixing some accidents and putting on a body kit. Long story short... he ended up being on crack, driving my car for about 6 months, getting arrested in my car, on and on and on. A car shop he left it at put an abandonment title on my car. I had to get the title back. The used to be a good bodyman turn crackhead lost my key... my only key with remote. I also had to put in paperwork with our local government. I know I should've never trusted a "friend". I will always get a contract from a real business.

The master key that he lost was the only key that I had since I bought the car. So, I went to the dealership and ordered another key from the VIN and it didn't work on any of the locks. I returned the key and they ordered another one cut from the VIN and it didn't work either. Now they told me that the car had to have been relocked before I bought it. It was hard to believe, but after reading different post on this forum site I realize that that was very much possible. So, the car must've been relocked before I bought it in 2000.

Before I relock the whole car, is the "new VIN" anywhere in the car? Would the installers of the lock set write it anywhere before they install? Is the "new VIN" somewhere on the lock cylinder?

YOUR HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Any luck? I'm going through the same thing with my SC... except I lost the master key while moving from a loser landlord
Old 11-10-11 | 10:25 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Go sewell/lexus deal and have them cut a key to your vin number