SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should the cornering light lenses be hard to see through??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-02, 07:25 PM
Lexson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the cornering light lenses be hard to see through??

Mine arent scratched or have any condensation, but they still seem like they arent clear....Im thinking maybe the cornering light lenses are supposed to be this way?
Old 09-14-02, 11:23 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb Mine Too!

I noticed that too, mine are not clear either.......?!?!? what gives,
Coincedence? I think not!!
Come on dude..you can do better than this. It does not take a Rocket scientist to do a search or look through the Gallery to answer the obvious
Word of the wise: Be a bit more observant to your surroundings
Old 09-15-02, 06:41 AM
Lexson
Driver School Candidate

OK....can anyone else answer this? Its such a simple question...I dont understand why simple stuff never gets answered on this forum.
Toejam....maybe you should do a search. There is NOTHING on this and what is looking at the gallery gonna do for me? I swear half your posts are just to say "do a search." I was reading the FAQ stuff and this is what they meant....if you have nothing nice to say (AKA DO A SEARCH)...then do us all a favor and dont bother responding. Every topic you have ever said "its in the archives" hasnt been....
Anyways...to the helpful owners...this is a simple question. I dont want to pay $100 for new lenses and find out they are supposed to be not real clear. Headlights....fogs....you can see in them fine. My cornering lights...you cant really see in them....can barely even see the bulb assembly in there (with the light off of course, I can see it fine at night). Is this normal?
Old 09-15-02, 11:23 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Since no one is replying I will.

I have a 95 SC so I have fog lights but I did notice that my new fog light on the drivers side is like very clear and reflective. The passanger side fog is now really yelly but it is hard to see inside. I've seen some pictures of the 92 SCs and they dont look clear but the pictures werent close ups. I think over time it does get like that. Its really unavoidable even if you clean them a lot. They wont stay looking new forever. You can probably try to clean them by wet sanding them but I dont think it will make them brand new again. The best thing you could do is buy new ones.
Old 09-15-02, 02:41 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Meguiars makes a product for cleaning and protecting plexiglas and other plastic car light covers.

http://www.meguiars.com/collections/clearplastic.cfm

It repairs scratches and removes the cloudiness that these covers can acquire over time. I'm going to buy some for my light covers. You might try something like this before going to the expense of replacing the entire assembly.

Ral
Old 09-15-02, 03:28 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my fogs were cloudy a few months ago.

i cleaned them like how i cleaned my headlights (has been explained hundreds of times on this forum) and now they are perfectly clear. i used the novus heavy and light scratch removers and then a plastic polish. I used them with a buffer. Hope that helps.
Old 09-15-02, 07:16 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

did you wet sand yours first or just put the polishes on?
Old 09-15-02, 08:06 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the polishes and removers are like sanding. the heavy scratch remover is equivalent to ~600 grit, and the light scratch remover is ~1500 grit wet sand. i have no idea off the top of my head about the polish, but it's even finer.

Last edited by hellasboy; 09-15-02 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-15-02, 09:55 PM
Lexson
Driver School Candidate

Yeah see...I need a 92-94 owner to reply. The fog lights are clear on 95 and 96....
My cornering lights just dont seem to be cloudy as a result of scratches or anything else....the plastic just seems to be thicker or less clear purposely....but if one 92-94 owner could confirm, that would be what I need.
Old 09-16-02, 03:03 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Let me redeem myself and give you a straight response.
I have a 93' SC300 with the corner lamps in perfect condition.
The lense itself is a clear plastic with a formed obscured
pattern on the inside of the lense, (Like that of a privacy glass door or a window pane.) The obscured lense difuses the light pattern to through more light in it's path.
Old 09-16-02, 03:59 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe a picture of it would help
Old 09-16-02, 05:40 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Well, I have a '92 SC300 and yes, the cornering lights are cloudier than the headlamps and the highbeams. I don't know if it's _supposed_ to be like that, but my car does show this flaw the way yours does. Here's my car at the meet on 9/14/02:

As you can see, the cornering lights do look sort of opaque compared to the headlights.

Ral

Last edited by RalAegidius; 09-16-02 at 05:42 PM.