SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Made a trade offer with my SC towards another car

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 07:34 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best thing to do would be swap a ve30de into the z32.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiKnkDPrGW0
way more engine room, and just as capable.
before, Brad was making almost 400hp with that engine in his Maxima.

more info on his swap, with better pics
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...pic-heavy.html
Old 07-04-11, 07:50 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that video is miss labled. its a VQ30DE and i believe i saw a turbo on it.

anyway.

300zx's are crap. they are hard to work on. u will have a harder time finding parts for them. they RUST like its good for them. especially T-TOP models, rust around the rear hatch, doors under the dew wipes for the windows, T-tops around the glass, and rear quarter panels. they just love rusting away.

mechanically, they are a pain, its a Valve Bender when the T-Belt breaks, if the car was poorly maintained, the ignitor usually has issues on those, same with the fuel injectors as well. phosphorus forms on the connectors and makes the connection bad. when they start leaking oil from the valve cover... be prepared to spend 10 hours plus just to fix it....thats nissan Book Time.

i'd stay away from them... the VG30DE and VG30DETT are crappy motors with no room to work on, no space to get ur hands in there, if nissan already had a flagship Inline 6 at the time. god knows why they put that POS V6 in there...

just get a 240 and swap in a SR20DET. more space, more room, and cheaper.
Old 07-04-11, 08:10 AM
unknown159
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont do It your gonna cry after that trade those cars give problems like CRAZY...know from expirience and very complicated to work on............
Old 07-04-11, 08:11 AM
unknown159
Pole Position

unless you put a 2jz in dont do it please

http://youtu.be/2COrsoGQGyA

Last edited by unknown159; 07-04-11 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-04-11, 08:25 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Haha sounds like what happend to me. One day I was browsing craigslist then BAM! This guy wanted a car with back seats and I wanted Z32TT. The same day we met up and traded. I paid $700 with my 93 SC400. Well worth it. It did have a huge vacuum leak because when his mechanic put in crappy venom injectors he didn't use new plenum seal. But after $1200 I put in nismo 615cc injectors with all new seals and o-rings and that cured the problem. Let me tell you though it'll drain your wallet faster than an SC(unless SC is also booseted) will but I'm not looking back. I've spent thousands on my Z and I can say I have a mint Z. I have AMS dp and tp in my room waiting to go on as soon as I smog my Z sometime this year. With them on I should be somewhere around 360-380 whp. If the Z was taken care of don't hesitate to buy it. I got burnt when I bought a 92 LS400 with 170K miles awhile back. Of course I thought 'it's a lexus it's barely broken in'... Every car is different.

LOL at some of the comments... POS nissan? I don't think so...

Oh yea it is a PITA to work on but not too bad once you go some bypasses. You won't be able to swap turbos in 15 minutes like JZ engines lol. Good luck!
Do you think the 17 y/o kid who the OP is potentially going to trade with has dumped THOUSANDS into the car? I don't think so.
Old 07-04-11, 09:55 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DoomLight
that video is miss labled. its a VQ30DE and i believe i saw a turbo on it.
video is NOT mislabled: vE30de.
yes, you saw a turbo.
Old 07-04-11, 10:39 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

300zx isnt as trashy as 3000gt...but still not as good as toyota.
Old 07-04-11, 10:45 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eh, it will be more fun to drive. If it turns out to be a complete mess just get rid of it.
Old 07-04-11, 10:46 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow so much hate lmao. Vg30dett is one of the most capable engines out there. With right mods you can get 500 whp out of it with stock turbos. True car is a little pain to work on but once you delete egr and do throttle body coolant bypass, things will get much easier. Only time you'll need to pull motor is for turbo upgrade. So what if the owner's 17 years old? It doesn't cost a fortune to maintain these cars if you do the work yourself. If you're planning on taking it to mechanic for every problem you have this car is not for you. I've had my sc for a year and I do not miss it one bit.

That being said drive the car and look for any signs of erratic idle. If it doesnt idle correctly ask him why. So the car is at 120k miles and that's when it needs to have 120k service done. If this was done and car runs fine you should be ok. But make sure he shows you the receipt for this. If this wasn't done either walk AWAY or use this to your advantage when making the deal.
Old 07-04-11, 11:25 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BenStoked
video is NOT mislabled: vE30de.
yes, you saw a turbo.
i hear ya. but there is no such thing as a VE series engine. i was saying the guy who made the video named it wrong.
Old 07-04-11, 11:52 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

lets see some pics of what your trading it with
Old 07-04-11, 12:16 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DoomLight
i hear ya. but there is no such thing as a VE series engine. i was saying the guy who made the video named it wrong.
check again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VE_engine
been doing the Maxima thing for a minute, now.
only came in three years of the 3rd gen, but it's a real engine.
Old 07-04-11, 01:20 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDSC
300zx isnt as trashy as 3000gt...but still not as good as toyota.
I know it's blasphemy on this site but there's nothing all that special about Toyota either. Only the fanboy atmosphere keeps Supra prices where they are. Those of us who have owned the cars since the early 90s know they all have their strengths & weaknesses.

Old pic from ~ 6-7 years ago:

My brother's white 94 Supra (singled), a friend's 97 (stock twins), my Stealth TT (12.50s @ 109 on the stock peashooters), and a friend's 300Z (13.0 @ 106). The 90s turbo cars all had different approaches to power but they're all worth owning.

I think the RSP Supra is for sale on the autotrader right now...
Old 07-04-11, 01:40 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

maybe some got lucky and had a 300 that had less issues but most did not get lucky as you can see by the average opinion in this thread. want a more insider opinion find a 300z forum. but the truth is in looking at whats on the road. when driving pay attention to any 300 you spot and i promise you will see that 9 out 10 of them look like they got beat with the ugly stick and have parts hanging off of them the paint is trashed they are rusted to crap the interior is you guessed it f,edd the hell up. once and a while you see a nice one and thats because it was really well cared for and had tons of gold dumped into it. now look at the average sc on the road. they still have their paint they still idle clean and the exhaust is not falling off. interior excluding the oem seats and door panels is not too bad. all in all its just a better car hands down. i say all this and i actually like the 300z it was one of my faves until i owned one.
Old 07-04-11, 03:19 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
maybe some got lucky and had a 300 that had less issues but most did not get lucky as you can see by the average opinion in this thread. want a more insider opinion find a 300z forum. but the truth is in looking at whats on the road. when driving pay attention to any 300 you spot and i promise you will see that 9 out 10 of them look like they got beat with the ugly stick and have parts hanging off of them the paint is trashed they are rusted to crap the interior is you guessed it f,edd the hell up. once and a while you see a nice one and thats because it was really well cared for and had tons of gold dumped into it. now look at the average sc on the road. they still have their paint they still idle clean and the exhaust is not falling off. interior excluding the oem seats and door panels is not too bad. all in all its just a better car hands down. i say all this and i actually like the 300z it was one of my faves until i owned one.

I agree. I see those nasty z's too. But sc's aren't too far off. I see many beat up sc's too. Gotta understand newest z32 is already 17 years old oldest being 22 years old and the fact that so many are still around tells alot about reliability. Last month my z died on me going 70 mph on hwy. It took me a month to fix it myself I took my time because I also have a business to run. It was bad fuel sender. I don't blame the car for it my z is almost 20 years old. Any old cars you'll have problems. Before we got our new ml350 my wife gave me choice to buy new M3 only if I sell my Z. I said he'll no it's more than just a car. Wouldn't give it up for anything.

Quick Reply: Made a trade offer with my SC towards another car