SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Made a trade offer with my SC towards another car

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11 | 11:11 PM
User1321989
Lead Lap

I hope you have small hands...there's sh it for space in that engine bay!
Old 07-04-11 | 11:45 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

I hope you have $1000's to put into it like the guy with the Z on here did.
Old 07-05-11 | 03:50 PM
DeezNuts
Rookie

I've owned one, they are great cars. Not nearly as unreliable as people make them out to be. I abused mine daily, and had very minimal issues. The only downside as others (to me) have pointed out is the space in the enginebay making it difficult to work on. All in all, you'd probably be making out in this deal.... but consider picking up a daily driver of sorts.
Old 07-05-11 | 07:50 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MooJohn
I know it's blasphemy on this site but there's nothing all that special about Toyota either. Only the fanboy atmosphere keeps Supra prices where they are. Those of us who have owned the cars since the early 90s know they all have their strengths & weaknesses.

Old pic from ~ 6-7 years ago:

My brother's white 94 Supra (singled), a friend's 97 (stock twins), my Stealth TT (12.50s @ 109 on the stock peashooters), and a friend's 300Z (13.0 @ 106). The 90s turbo cars all had different approaches to power but they're all worth owning.

I think the RSP Supra is for sale on the autotrader right now...
i'm sorry to burst your bubble but mitsu product is probably one of if not the worst jap car ever made. If you dont think so fine but go ahead and ask any tech that does not own a mitsubishi and they will agree with me. I also happen to be very good friends with a brother in law of altered atmospheres owner. If youre a mitsu guy you would know of this shop. They totally got away from building stealths and gts looong time ago...because of all the problems they had with these cars. Supras and even domestics are so much easier to mod and work on.
Old 07-05-11 | 07:59 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KA8
Wow so much hate lmao. Vg30dett is one of the most capable engines out there. With right mods you can get 500 whp out of it with stock turbos. True car is a little pain to work on but once you delete egr and do throttle body coolant bypass, things will get much easier. Only time you'll need to pull motor is for turbo upgrade. So what if the owner's 17 years old? It doesn't cost a fortune to maintain these cars if you do the work yourself. If you're planning on taking it to mechanic for every problem you have this car is not for you. I've had my sc for a year and I do not miss it one bit.

That being said drive the car and look for any signs of erratic idle. If it doesnt idle correctly ask him why. So the car is at 120k miles and that's when it needs to have 120k service done. If this was done and car runs fine you should be ok. But make sure he shows you the receipt for this. If this wasn't done either walk AWAY or use this to your advantage when making the deal.
these cars are known for bad wiring harness...not many left around...because most insurance companys totaled them because of this issue, my good friend is a shop foreman at a local nissan dealer and he worked on many and still dosent like to mess with them.
Old 07-06-11 | 08:50 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

I wrenched my own Mitsubishis since 1992. That's a half-dozen DSMs including a Galant VR4 and a Mirage turbo, the rest being Eclipse GSXs and a Spyder GST thrown in as a DD. My two Stealths gave me no problem with reliability (totaled the first car). I wasn't shooting for single-digit quarter mile times so I wasn't breaking parts. It did run 12.50s with just a downpipe, injectors, and a VPC -- fully 4070 lbs with my 300lb *** in it. With turbos that could fit on a keychain I think that's pretty potent (and it surprised this guy too). I sold it after owning it ~ 50k miles in this form.

Most shops that no longer do Mitsu work do it because the owners either can't or won't pay for the work anymore. They're either too cheap to pay what it's worth or they do it themselves so it's not a good profit center for a shop. Supra owners are proven money trees and it makes financial sense to cater to them.

Nobody will argue that Supras are easiest to work on by virtue of their engine layout. I did the single conversion, FMIC install, and the rest on my brother's car so I've spent my time under that hood too.

None of this is really relevant though, since the OP is trading for a Nissan. I have my own money pit -- it's an SC400. I bought it knowing it needed to be restored and I look forward to the continuing project.
Old 07-06-11 | 09:54 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

The Z32 is a nice car but it's notorious fo lack of space in the engine bay. If you don't mind pulling out the motor just to perform maintenance then by all means go for it. I'm sure the owner would really appreciate the SC
Old 07-06-11 | 07:07 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Get it! A bpu 300zx will put down about 350rwhp so you'll be faster than 90% of sc400's. If you don't like it you can sell it for more than the sc400 is worth. It doesn't matter what turbo car you get you'll be pulling motors and replacing crap no matter what. Plus you have already owned a sc400 why not get a 300zx to fulfill that urge.