SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lookin for tips on a clean engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 08:37 AM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin for tips on a clean engine bay

I dug a 92 300 out of it's burial site. I literally found it rotting away in a field because the owner gave up trying sell it. There are a ton of problems with it but hearing 2jz and seeing a clutch made my pants fit tighter. Now that it's running well I want to start cleaning it up. The seals are shot and looks to have been that way for a while because the engine bay is covered in gunk. I found in the search that it's a bad idea to go at these things with a pressure washer but I can't find how problems are avoided.

So, what's the safest way to clean the engine bay?
Old 07-04-11, 09:07 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Cover up the alternator, engine degreaser, like Gunk/CRC, let it sit for like 10-15mins, then you can pressure wash it, just don't hit the electrical so damn hard like you wanna remove it with the pressure washer and you'd be good. Then you can hand wash it with soap before spraying an engine detailer to make the plastic parts shiny. The cleanliness that you're looking for would all depend on you preference of clean. I've been doing this since I got my SC and I've never encountered any problem.
Old 07-04-11, 09:17 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

DO NOT pressure wash it.... Kingphil, you're gonna make this dude **** up his car with that type of advice.

2jz's are prone to getting water in the spark plug valley when you pressure wash teh engine bay or even use a normal stream of water from a hose.
Old 07-04-11, 09:17 AM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info
Old 07-04-11, 09:19 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

A spray bottle and some paper towels. Lol
Old 07-04-11, 09:26 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

brake cleaner
Old 07-04-11, 09:26 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
A spray bottle and some paper towels. Lol
This this this. Play it safe, take your time and do it this way.
Old 07-04-11, 11:09 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

WD40 Period.
cleans very well.
if you want to make the black parts shiny..
then use silicon spray - also helps as a protectant.
Old 07-04-11, 11:16 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
DO NOT pressure wash it.... Kingphil, you're gonna make this dude **** up his car with that type of advice.

2jz's are prone to getting water in the spark plug valley when you pressure wash teh engine bay or even use a normal stream of water from a hose.
I said not to hit any electrical components. I don't know about you guys but I've always washed my engine bay with a pressure washer even with my old cars and I never had any kind of problem.
Old 07-04-11, 11:43 AM
svagusta
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I would personally play it safe and hand wash it, I have been working at a dealership for 2 years where every cars engine bay is hosed down with nothing covered up and can only recall one vehicle that had a problem.

I still wouldn't do it. But I understand the appeal, after looking at a 20 year old engine bay
Old 07-04-11, 12:21 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

I'd advise not to pressure wash it.. just spray brake cleaner everywhere, then use whatever else to touch it up.
Old 07-04-11, 12:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kingphilip
I said not to hit any electrical components. I don't know about you guys but I've always washed my engine bay with a pressure washer even with my old cars and I never had any kind of problem.
Kinda hard not to hit that area since it's right in the damn center. If you are spraying the entire bay with an APC or some sort of degreaser, one way or another you're gonna need to rinse that off and avoiding the ENGINE is kinda hard, especially with a PW.
Old 07-04-11, 12:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

steam cleaning it would be even better. far different from pressure washing.
Old 07-04-11, 12:34 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Cover up the alternator, engine degreaser, like Gunk/CRC, let it sit for like 10-15mins, then you can pressure wash it, just don't hit the electrical so damn hard like you wanna remove it with the pressure washer and you'd be good. Then you can hand wash it with soap before spraying an engine detailer to make the plastic parts shiny. The cleanliness that you're looking for would all depend on you preference of clean. I've been doing this since I got my SC and I've never encountered any problem.
DO NOT PRESSURE WASH. Even if you do cover up all the electrical stuff. Water will leak somewhere and then later you'll be putting a thread up with help i washed my engine bay now wont start.

Originally Posted by soarer93
WD40 Period.
cleans very well.
if you want to make the black parts shiny..
then use silicon spray - also helps as a protectant.
This, i WD40 my engine bay.. wel more like 1/10 of it i got tired of scrubbing haha. Made that section of the engine bay REAL nice and clean.
Old 07-04-11, 01:20 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have mixed opinions on this. I have done the pressure washer thing and had some negative results. Done it on another SC and had no negative impact. I would just be real safe and gentle.. Spray it down fast and have a air hose ready to dry it off.. along with leaving the engine running during the whole process. Thats my results and impact!

Quick Reply: Lookin for tips on a clean engine bay