SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Turbo charging the 1uz

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 01:31 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vince9164
Sorry off topic, but how much power can the stock manifolds hold before it starts to crack?
Yes i would like to know that too. Is it really expensive to charge a 1uz? It seems like if you dont mind using some ebay parts you can get away with 3gs or less. Alot of those ebay parts have been proven to work well too
Old 07-07-11, 01:41 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

iron retains heat better than steel so dont worry about that theres a reason oem turbo cars have cast iron manifolds from factory.... welding steel on the iron though will result in some name calling but it will work just fine if done right. but like said airflow wont be the greatest. supposedly the stock cast manifolds are able to be flipped around and mounted up and you can create your "custom" rigged manifold from there. edit: (didnt read im being redundant!)

whenever i join the airforce and have a good income again i will be attempting my own single 1uz. long wayyyy away.

just do it! no more questions!!!!!!! dont go 1j or 2jz!

imagine a single 1uz with a quick spool valve!!

Last edited by iridebmx; 07-07-11 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 02:03 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you looking at actually trying to gain power or prestiege? Because Im not sure I would turbo the 1uz.. more likely Supercharge it.. but then i guess i cant say one of the very very few that spent the kinda money needed to turbo it..
Just wondering what swung you to the Turbo route?
Old 07-07-11, 02:15 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarer93
are you looking at actually trying to gain power or prestiege? Because Im not sure I would turbo the 1uz.. more likely Supercharge it.. but then i guess i cant say one of the very very few that spent the kinda money needed to turbo it..
Just wondering what swung you to the Turbo route?
I wanted to supercharge it first because it was done bfore by quite a few. But then an old thread on here about a guy putting a single t70 on his sc4 sparked my interest. But i dont think it was ever finished, he doesnt answer pms and the thread is pretty dead. Plus ive always wanted a turbo car. And the fact that nObody has really done it interests me even more.
Old 07-07-11, 02:20 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turbo'ed my 1uz swapped MKIII supra. The mods are as follows:

HX35 from Cummins
295cc injectors from MKIII NA
8:1 FMU
SAFC Neo
Walboro pump
w58 Transmission

I ran 9 psi on this setup, spooled hard and fast, and was fun to drive.

Was it reliable? Hell yes, I drove the car to dallas and back in one day (three hours one way), the only issue I had was space, and running a pump for the oil return.

You might wanna roll over to lextreme forums, and you can also search my posts (I use the same user name everywhere lol).

Unfortunately, the supra got into a fight with a semi, and it lost, so I'm back to a SC400. I haven't decided whether I want to boost it or not, but I do know I'm going manual once I finish sourcing the parts.
The following users liked this post:
Slackful (05-29-19)
Old 07-07-11, 02:37 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ihiryu
I turbo'ed my 1uz swapped MKIII supra. The mods are as follows:

HX35 from Cummins
295cc injectors from MKIII NA
8:1 FMU
SAFC Neo
Walboro pump
w58 Transmission

I ran 9 psi on this setup, spooled hard and fast, and was fun to drive.

Was it reliable? Hell yes, I drove the car to dallas and back in one day (three hours one way), the only issue I had was space, and running a pump for the oil return.

You might wanna roll over to lextreme forums, and you can also search my posts (I use the same user name everywhere lol).

Unfortunately, the supra got into a fight with a semi, and it lost, so I'm back to a SC400. I haven't decided whether I want to boost it or not, but I do know I'm going manual once I finish sourcing the parts.
Nice! I will def check that out! How did u do the manifolds on it?
Old 07-07-11, 04:04 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Man I wish I had an extra sc400 just to mock up some turbo manifolds on. Id use the header flanges & use probably a straight solid 2" tube of steel. Like 3/16th to 3/8 thick so they would take the heat. Make some 2" angled to the back runners & then put a turbo flang port @ the rear on the bottom . Use 2 small turbo's like the 300zx turbo's. Then you dont have all the other fitment issues up front. I mean cause if our only gonna run 5-6 lbs that would be total sufficient.
Old 07-07-11, 04:18 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

nah im trying to go with a big single....i dont have access to shop equipment...so im hoping i can find someone that has done this before that is willing to help me out, and make a few hundred dollars too...
Old 07-07-11, 04:43 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much the same Carlos did it, I flipped the exhaust manifolds so they were front facing.

However, in the SC4, I don't think it would be a good idea, it worked great in my MKIII, but I didn't have power steering, or A/C to worry about.

If anything, move to electric power steering, relocate both the alternator, and A/C compressor and we should have a go.

Alternatively if you are going big single, instead of making a pipe that joins the headers together, you might want to do it stevechumo style.

Leave one header how it is, and modify the other bank. So what stevechumo did was left bank, went into the right bank, into what he called a "saxophone" lol.

He's on lextreme too, take a look at his build thread
Old 07-07-11, 05:10 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

holy **** im gonna be hitting you two up alot hahha...thanks bro, im nervous but super excited haha
Old 07-07-11, 05:38 PM
Str8sikk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rear mount that **** bro.....less money easier to install......
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ear-mount.html
Old 07-07-11, 06:49 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
so i have been searching for a while, and have found only one real attempt to turbocharge an sc400. (Carlos something on this forum) ...kinda ridiculous if you ask me...i dont want it to be a long one, so i might buy another 1uz to build up on the side....what tips can you give me if you have experience? anything will help, good and bad, i really wanna start ordering things big time, so if you have something to say bring it! thanks guys!
Only one real attempt??? I guess you had a hard time with the search button???

Due to the need for so many one-offs...It is difficult to complete a Turbo 1UZ project in a short time frame...It would be helpful if you can weld and fabricate well...

Biggest tip: Be very wary of the fabricators and welders that claim to be able to do this job...They not only need to be very good at what they do, but they need to be of high integrity, or you will lose lots of time and money.

Originally Posted by xspsi6
You forgot a new engine on your list Lol, The stock internals are quite weak and won't live very long under boost 6-8 psi.

you will at minium need forged pistons and rods.
You can probably run 10 to 12, maybe up to 15 lbs safely on the stock internals...As long as you have comprehensive engine management, and a real solid tune from an expert tuner.

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
ttc wants like 8k for thier tt kit. I emailed them and its all 1 off stuff. Not a reg stocked product. They have the jog for manifolds but for that i think they said like 2500 for just manifolds and piping (you privid the rest and a lil cheaper for a single set up (est 2k for just piping)

oh there tt kit does not retain the A/C. The single does retain the A/C...he could make a tt with A/C but would need to reduce piping from 3" to 2"...fyi
The TTC manifolds are solid and they absolutely clear the AC...I ought to know since their manifolds and their jig were made from my original TT manifolds from my Stage I set up, which did run well (But it was untuned, so low boost was my only option). I do not know how much of the plumbing Eric provides, but you should still be able to fabricate and fit 3" tubing with no issues and clear the AC, the power steering, etc. I would not do a 2" set up...too restrictive.

Originally Posted by sc300jz
5k isn't bad for rebuild fully running and labor.

If i can recall stevechumo or something like that was TT in his sc400.
Steve Chumo's set up is excellent, and he did not have a TT but a single set up.

If i can get a single setup going and get manifolds done for that much. Id buy it today and start pieceing together stuff. What computer would i use? Im going to look into some aussie classifieds to see if anyone has manifolds for sale. Or better yet anybody know where i can find some for a decent price? Not 2k? Lol
Besides the TTC manifolds, I do not know of any that are ready made...But, for that price, check with a good fabricator and see if he will fab up a set for a much better price...Use stainless if you can spare the budget...

Yes i would like to know that too. Is it really expensive to charge a 1uz? It seems like if you dont mind using some ebay parts you can get away with 3gs or less. Alot of those ebay parts have been proven to work well too
It is expensive...Also depends upon the level of quality and showmanship you want too...I would stay away from ebay parts...Cheap Chinese made in most cases, and will not hold up in most cases...

... And the fact that nObody has really done it interests me even more.
I beg to differ...

Name:  MyTouchPics048.jpg
Views: 4931
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  SCTT5.jpg
Views: 5005
Size:  95.7 KB

Click me for video...

Link to threads:

Stage I: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...oject-car.html

Stage II: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-stage-ii.html

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 07-07-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 08:30 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Only one real attempt??? I guess you had a hard time with the search button???

Due to the need for so many one-offs...It is difficult to complete a Turbo 1UZ project in a short time frame...It would be helpful if you can weld and fabricate well...

Biggest tip: Be very wary of the fabricators and welders that claim to be able to do this job...They not only need to be very good at what they do, but they need to be of high integrity, or you will lose lots of time and money.

You can probably run 10 to 12, maybe up to 15 lbs safely on the stock internals...As long as you have comprehensive engine management, and a real solid tune from an expert tuner.

The TTC manifolds are solid and they absolutely clear the AC...I ought to know since their manifolds and their jig were made from my original TT manifolds from my Stage I set up, which did run well (But it was untuned, so low boost was my only option). I do not know how much of the plumbing Eric provides, but you should still be able to fabricate and fit 3" tubing with no issues and clear the AC, the power steering, etc. I would not do a 2" set up...too restrictive.

Steve Chumo's set up is excellent, and he did not have a TT but a single set up.

Besides the TTC manifolds, I do not know of any that are ready made...But, for that price, check with a good fabricator and see if he will fab up a set for a much better price...Use stainless if you can spare the budget...

It is expensive...Also depends upon the level of quality and showmanship you want too...I would stay away from ebay parts...Cheap Chinese made in most cases, and will not hold up in most cases...

I beg to differ...

Click me for video...

Link to threads:

Stage I: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...oject-car.html

Stage II: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-stage-ii.html

Ryan
thanks for the advice, but as far as i see, you have two turbos, i was meaning to reference a single turbo set up. i was also under the impression that steves was a twin turbo also, but maybe i should look into it. thanks again. also, so you used your stock manifolds, just swapped them and ran low boost and it was good to go? are you talking like 5-6 psi?
Old 07-07-11, 08:36 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

I agree, I think your search button must be broken!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...cs-thread.html

Old 07-07-11, 08:48 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sc400tt, I have a question, and I'm sure OP will find this useful as well. What EMS do you recommend. I am starting with an r154 first, but plan to run a pair of Garrett t25's from an s13 around 12-13 psi of boost, but am clueless as on EMS.
Also for turbo coolant drain lines, where do you tap into the cooling system for the turbo inlet and turbo outlet?
For turbo oil lines, are the inlet oil lines T'd from the oil pressure sensor? And the drain lines on each side of the lower oil pan?
I believe it is your setup on Lextreme that I found the turbo oil outlet locations
Thanks
Charley

Quick Reply: Turbo charging the 1uz