SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Turbo charging the 1uz

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11 | 08:52 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
I agree, I think your search button must be broken!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...cs-thread.html

wow, once again, i was talking about a SINGLE, i said a SINGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! turbo set up, your guys cars were coming up all day for twin turbos but i was looking for someone that had a SINGLE!!!!!
Old 07-07-11 | 08:58 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

You said single turbo? heh:

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
so i have been searching for a while, and have found only one real attempt to turbocharge an sc400.
Good luck with turbocharging single or twin, but personally I'd recommend going LS1 (That's what I'd do if I did it all over!)
Old 07-07-11 | 09:17 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
thanks for the advice, but as far as i see, you have two turbos, i was meaning to reference a single turbo set up. i was also under the impression that steves was a twin turbo also, but maybe i should look into it. thanks again. also, so you used your stock manifolds, just swapped them and ran low boost and it was good to go? are you talking like 5-6 psi?
Understood...that was not clear regarding the single turbo...No, I did not use the stock manifolds...Look at UZZ-TT's post after yours...His engine pic shows my Stage I set-up...He bought it from me. As you can see...the manifolds are definitely custom. That design is what the TTC manifolds are based upon.

Steve is definitelyt a Single Turbo.

Originally Posted by charley240
Sc400tt, I have a question, and I'm sure OP will find this useful as well. What EMS do you recommend. I am starting with an r154 first, but plan to run a pair of Garrett t25's from an s13 around 12-13 psi of boost, but am clueless as on EMS.
Also for turbo coolant drain lines, where do you tap into the cooling system for the turbo inlet and turbo outlet?
For turbo oil lines, are the inlet oil lines T'd from the oil pressure sensor? And the drain lines on each side of the lower oil pan?
I believe it is your setup on Lextreme that I found the turbo oil outlet locations
Thanks
Charley
I recommend the Autronic SM4...The Aussies use it quite a bit and it is very proven with the 1UZ motors...It is not cheap...it is however, very well made and designed...The developers of the Autronic were ex-employees and designers of MOTEC...So there is a lot of similar tech in the Autronic..And some things are better and some are not. Biggest problem with the Autronic is the lack of tuners who know it in US...If you are in Florida, Darin is your man...He knows it and can tune it well. There are other Autronic tuners across the country...But find a good tuner that is familiar with your EMS...WHatever it is you choose.

The water feed lines are "T'd" off the top of the water bridge in the 1UZ, The returns need to be connected to the bottom of your radiator. The oil feed do indeed come of the high pressure side near the pressure switch, and my returns are connected to heavy duty aluminum tubes welded into the upper oil pan...A pain as the oil pan has to be removed, and you either have to drop the motor or the K member to get that upper pan off.

Hope that helps.

Ryan
Old 07-07-11 | 09:18 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Good luck with turbocharging single or twin, but personally I'd recommend going LS1 (That's what I'd do if I did it all over!)
no i didnt say single, i said SINGLE!! hahaha but why would you rather do the NA v8 swap?
Old 07-07-11 | 09:20 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I would just get a Vette in that case and be done with it... No swaps, no wiring, just sign and drive...Slap a turbo on that and you will kick a$$

Ryan
Old 07-07-11 | 09:32 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...d-running.html

Steve's thread
Old 07-07-11 | 09:35 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

down under they used a gt35r. its made 342rwkw which is around 460rwhp @ 17.5psi

"We're looking at a 0.63 rear housing and 50mm wastegate option for 15psi and 7500N+ by 2500rpm which is about what the standard converter flares to. That means full boost when you stomp your foot.

The 0.8x rear housing option will do 340rwkw with an external gate, 1.06 rear housing option will do 370rwkw or close to 600hp on good fuel and supporting mods."

15 psi by 2500rpm on single. fun times
Old 07-07-11 | 09:57 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

If you are looking for a good budget standalone with a lot of features, the new Megasquirt 3 with expansion is a good option. I have been running it on my SC400 for about 7 months with no problems.
Old 07-07-11 | 10:44 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I would just get a Vette in that case and be done with it... No swaps, no wiring, just sign and drive...Slap a turbo on that and you will kick a$$

Ryan
no wireing?

ive always thought that was the way to go with just about any car, not to many engines as bad *** as the LS1 that you can get for a decent price, and have that much raw power out of the box...damn there are more boosted sc4s than i thought....now that i look at it, that search button was a little intermittent...
Old 07-07-11 | 10:58 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Understood...that was not clear regarding the single turbo...No, I did not use the stock manifolds...Look at UZZ-TT's post after yours...His engine pic shows my Stage I set-up...He bought it from me. As you can see...the manifolds are definitely custom. That design is what the TTC manifolds are based upon.

Steve is definitelyt a Single Turbo.

I recommend the Autronic SM4...The Aussies use it quite a bit and it is very proven with the 1UZ motors...It is not cheap...it is however, very well made and designed...The developers of the Autronic were ex-employees and designers of MOTEC...So there is a lot of similar tech in the Autronic..And some things are better and some are not. Biggest problem with the Autronic is the lack of tuners who know it in US...If you are in Florida, Darin is your man...He knows it and can tune it well. There are other Autronic tuners across the country...But find a good tuner that is familiar with your EMS...WHatever it is you choose.

The water feed lines are "T'd" off the top of the water bridge in the 1UZ, The returns need to be connected to the bottom of your radiator. The oil feed do indeed come of the high pressure side near the pressure switch, and my returns are connected to heavy duty aluminum tubes welded into the upper oil pan...A pain as the oil pan has to be removed, and you either have to drop the motor or the K member to get that upper pan off.

Hope that helps.

Ryan
Another ems option would be vi-pec v88 which was founded by Autroinc guru Ray Hall, I absolutly loved mine.
Old 07-07-11 | 11:28 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

oh very nice, so then it would be relatively easy to do this single turbo setup if i just run the swapped stock exhaust manifolds? can i use stock intake manifold? and from what im hearing a T67 would be a prime setup with an AR of .82 for quick spool?
Old 07-08-11 | 12:03 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

I say LS1 because once you get to the level and or try to go beyond the level of factory LS1 hp/tq output with a 1UZ, you will be spending more money than it would have cost if you just went factory LS1 in your SC, and you'll be worrying at the same time that the 1UZ will blow up at any minute-- in relation to a bone stock LS1 at the same level that you wont have to worry about ragging out, or replacing really expensive forged parts if something breaks.
(Though I'm sure you could rig a 1UZ up ghetto turbo style but that's not going to last too long.) I suppose it all depends on you and what you want to have to worry about, and how much $ you have to work with. Many tradeoffs, good luck in your decision- either way I hope to see some nice pics of the outcome!
Old 07-08-11 | 12:20 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

I say LS1 because once you get to the level and or try to go beyond the level of factory LS1 hp/tq output with a 1UZ, you will be spending more money than it would have cost if you just went factory LS1 in your SC, and you'll be worrying at the same time that the 1UZ will blow up at any minute-- in relation to a bone stock LS1 at the same level that you wont have to worry about ragging out, or replacing really expensive forged parts if something breaks.
(Though I'm sure you could rig a 1UZ up ghetto turbo style but that's not going to last too long.) I suppose it all depends on you and what you want to have to worry about, and how much $ you have to work with. Many tradeoffs, good luck in your decision- either way I hope to see some nice pics of the outcome!
yea i just want some reliable power, in the 4-500 hp range...crank that is...ls1 would be sick, and reliable power, ive seen a few motors with 64k miles on them with a t56 tranny for like 26-2800 which is not bad...i really want boost for that boost feeling , but i wouldnt mind going a NA swap...it would keep it cheaper thats for sure...what kinda modifications would i need though? mounts? computer systems? harnesses?
Old 07-08-11 | 10:58 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

I'll sell my SC400 single turbo setup next month, so if anyone is interested, please PM me. It's a bolt-on setup.
Old 07-08-11 | 11:02 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I'll sell my SC400 single turbo setup next month, so if anyone is interested, please PM me. It's a bolt-on setup.
What's the price looking like?

Quick Reply: Turbo charging the 1uz