SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Turbo charging the 1uz

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 08:24 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo charging the 1uz

so i have been searching for a while, and have found only one real attempt to turbocharge an sc400. (Carlos something on this forum) i have PM'd him but got no response. i noticed on his thread he started about his T70 turbo project sc400, that he started it in like 2006 or something crazy!!! and his thread is still going...kinda ridiculous if you ask me. with that said, i want to throw a T88 on mine now i have been writing down what i will need, and been reading up on everything that i can think of that will have to do with this project. i dont want it to be a long one, so i might buy another 1uz to build up on the side....what do you guys think? i know im gonna need/want a blow off valve, turbo, oil return lines, waste gate, some-type of engine management, FMIC, injectors, ARP head studs, Gaskets, Turbo back exhaust, turbo timer, boost controller, guages, all hardware....what else will i need? what tips can you give me if you have experience? anything will help, good and bad, i really wanna start ordering things big time, so if you have something to say bring it! thanks guys! i hope this is a good discussion too, no flaming please
Old 07-06-11, 08:53 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot a new engine on your list Lol, The stock internals are quite weak and won't live very long under boost 6-8 psi.

you will at minium need forged pistons and rods.
Old 07-06-11, 08:58 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy your turbo than build manifold(s)..... from there its like putting a turbo on any other n/a motor... simple as that. also I thought the rods on the 92-94 were strong enough to withstand around 400whp with a GOOD TUNE along with the piston rings? (from what i've read on lextreme and toyotanation forums)

there's not already made manifolds at a normal price blah blah blah... if you got money out the a$$, here are some ready made manifolds for a twin setup
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/tov81in.html

otherwise you gotta go custom, which is one reason no one really does it.

Last edited by iridebmx; 07-06-11 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 09:41 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xspsi6
You forgot a new engine on your list Lol, The stock internals are quite weak and won't live very long under boost 6-8 psi.

in there it says that i was going to buy a 1uz on the side possibly and build from there....and yea i was under the notion that the stock internals were good to 400 horse also from my readings.....the manifolds are pretty much the hardest part and most expensive....its either this or a 2j swap which i had an offer for a ready to swap, everything i need motor for 5k...not sure if thats good or not
Old 07-06-11, 11:37 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

ttc wants like 8k for thier tt kit. I emailed them and its all 1 off stuff. Not a reg stocked product. They have the jog for manifolds but for that i think they said like 2500 for just manifolds and piping (you privid the rest and a lil cheaper for a single set up (est 2k for just piping)

oh there tt kit does not retain the A/C. The single does retain the A/C...he could make a tt with A/C but would need to reduce piping from 3" to 2"...fyi
Old 07-07-11, 12:13 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
in there it says that i was going to buy a 1uz on the side possibly and build from there....and yea i was under the notion that the stock internals were good to 400 horse also from my readings.....the manifolds are pretty much the hardest part and most expensive....its either this or a 2j swap which i had an offer for a ready to swap, everything i need motor for 5k...not sure if thats good or not
5k isn't bad for rebuild fully running and labor.

If i can recall stevechumo or something like that was TT in his sc400.
Old 07-07-11, 11:48 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300jz
5k isn't bad for rebuild fully running and labor.

If i can recall stevechumo or something like that was TT in his sc400.
Thats 5k for the motor to be handed to me 7k with a 5spd and rear end to match. I just wanna do something different but 2 k for the manifold and piping? F it ill just boost a 240 ha
Old 07-07-11, 12:06 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^but think!!! turbo 1uz! rare!!!

turbo 240, everywhere!

Last edited by iridebmx; 07-07-11 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 12:18 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xspsi6

more like 10-14psi

OP:

probably best of going single turbo mounted where the battery is. exhaust manifolds might be unequal but it still works pretty well. couple of guys have done it like this in Aus.
Old 07-07-11, 12:26 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by czar07
more like 10-14psi

OP:

probably best of going single turbo mounted where the battery is. exhaust manifolds might be unequal but it still works pretty well. couple of guys have done it like this in Aus.
Thats my plan...i want tt, but the complexity. But if I can get the piping and mani's for 500 extra for tt I may do that. Once my other things are done (hopefully by next summer).
Old 07-07-11, 12:34 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
Thats my plan...i want tt, but the complexity. But if I can get the piping and mani's for 500 extra for tt I may do that. Once my other things are done (hopefully by next summer).
If i can get a single setup going and get manifolds done for that much. Id buy it today and start pieceing together stuff. What computer would i use? Im going to look into some aussie classifieds to see if anyone has manifolds for sale. Or better yet anybody know where i can find some for a decent price? Not 2k? Lol
Old 07-07-11, 12:48 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

If i can get a single setup going and get manifolds done for that much. Id buy it today and start pieceing together stuff. What computer would i use? Im going to look into some aussie classifieds to see if anyone has manifolds for sale. Or better yet anybody know where i can find some for a decent price? Not 2k? Lol
Old 07-07-11, 01:04 PM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is an expensive road to go down. But gl with it. Turbo 1uz is the ish.
Old 07-07-11, 01:06 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

You could go on the cheap and just make log style mani's. Or flip them around (driver on pass and pass on driver). Wont flow as well but it will get you going.
Old 07-07-11, 01:20 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

You could go on the cheap and just make log style mani's. Or flip them around (driver on pass and pass on driver). Wont flow as well but it will get you going.
Sorry off topic, but how much power can the stock manifolds hold before it starts to crack?

Quick Reply: Turbo charging the 1uz