SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Shaking at 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 07:07 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ I had all of my tires balanced. Its still shaking. If they were bent i would of had problems with them before. also ive never hit any potholes since i had the car. Could it be the ball joints?
Old 07-14-11, 08:20 AM
MidnightR
Driver School Candidate

I am getting a vibration as well on my 94 and I found out that the rubber in center bearing was worn out. So I bought one from Toyota and put it in and it was better but I still get a slight vibration still but only at 120kph/60mph. I have changed the tranny mount and the motor mount are good as the motor does not shift when you torque on it. I also put new rubber on all 4 rims and balanced and aligned the car. So I am thinking it might be something still along the drive shaft which I will have to take a look at it again. Will post any findings and I hope that you guys will do the same.
Old 07-14-11, 11:35 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Any update on the find? I am having something similar. I believe my coperate is the hub centric ring tho!
Old 07-14-11, 04:11 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So if you guys take it up past 60MPH is the shaking still there? I get BAD shaking between 60-68 or so MPH then 70+ is fine. Below 60 is fine.
Old 07-14-11, 07:17 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

Today was the first time i took it past 60 mph. Now the shaking comes and goes. Wth could be the problem?
Old 07-14-11, 08:28 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

if your running aftermarket wheels then I STRONGLY recommend hub centric rings.....tons of sizes on ebay for like $10 shipped. I SWEAR by these things! Everyone with aftermarket rims......do yourself a big favor and buy a set!!! Best $10 you ever spent on your car.
Old 07-14-11, 11:25 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Y'all know what, after doing the road force wheel balance(or something) I finally got rid of that scary vibration at 60mph, so I don't feel any kind of shaking from my steering wheel anymore although another vibration is coming from(I believe) my driveshaft, where I can feel it from my seat, and another vibration from(I believe) my motor mounts(because it comes and it goes as I step on the gas) depending on the rpm... Must've given out due to the beating it took from the vibration caused by the rims and tires before the road force wheel balance and prior to putting hub centric rings.
Old 07-14-11, 11:37 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Y'all know what, after doing the road force wheel balance(or something) I finally got rid of that scary vibration at 60mph, so I don't feel any kind of shaking from my steering wheel anymore although another vibration is coming from(I believe) my driveshaft, where I can feel it from my seat, and another vibration from(I believe) my motor mounts(because it comes and it goes as I step on the gas) depending on the rpm... Must've given out due to the beating it took from the vibration caused by the rims and tires before the road force wheel balance and prior to putting hub centric rings.
If you haven't changed your tranny mount and drive shaft insulators that may be your problem just my 2penny's worth hope it helps.
Old 07-15-11, 12:42 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socal72
If you haven't changed your tranny mount and drive shaft insulators that may be your problem just my 2penny's worth hope it helps.
I have changed my tranny mounts but not the engine mounts. What's the drive shaft insulator? Is that the carrier bearing? Can you give me the part number so I can look it up since I bought a bunch of parts from Lexus Sewell...Thanks!
Old 07-25-11, 10:41 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
So if you guys take it up past 60MPH is the shaking still there? I get BAD shaking between 60-68 or so MPH then 70+ is fine. Below 60 is fine.
my car does something similar... except it doesnt go away at higher speeds it just decreases. from about 60-65 shakes like crazy but before and after that speed its not bad... man seems like i have tried everything.

New rack and pinion
New sub frame (front)
New Hub centric rings
2 mechanics checked my bushings and bearings in the front but they both said the car was fine and couldnt figure it out.

i have something to add though. does anyones car shift ****(automatic) inside the car move when u take off and stop... mine seems like it moves back and forth like if there is no mount on the tranny at all. would this cause the steering wheel to shake at the speed mentioned??
Old 07-25-11, 11:15 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like most of us have the same issue. From 60 to just under 70mph, we all get serious shaking. My suspension is tight with no flexing in the ball joints. My wheels are aftermarket but I have correct fitting hub centric rings. Not to mention, it gives me the same vibrations during the winter time when I install the stockers.

Has anyone ever figured out the culprit? I will seriously email you a picture of several hot naked chicks if you chime in.
Old 07-25-11, 11:48 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Seems like most of us have the same issue. From 60 to just under 70mph, we all get serious shaking. My suspension is tight with no flexing in the ball joints. My wheels are aftermarket but I have correct fitting hub centric rings. Not to mention, it gives me the same vibrations during the winter time when I install the stockers.

Has anyone ever figured out the culprit? I will seriously email you a picture of several hot naked chicks if you chime in.
hahahahahaha... thats funny. damn it hopefully that is incentive enough for someone to help. next step for me is driving mine into a very deep canal. even though id probably miss due to the shaking(fail)
Old 07-25-11, 12:20 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Make sure your lower control arm bushings are still good cause otherwise in a long run you'll need a new arm and those will run you a few bills..
Old 07-25-11, 01:53 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingphilip
I have changed my tranny mounts but not the engine mounts. What's the drive shaft insulator? Is that the carrier bearing? Can you give me the part number so I can look it up since I bought a bunch of parts from Lexus Sewell...Thanks!
Sorry about the late response insulators or flexible couplings are the black rubber doughnuts on the ends of the drive shaft, and its probably a good Idea to inspect your carrier bearing or possibly replace it afterall it is pretty old and a good rule of thumb to replace everything related to the problem right? If anything replace for peace of mind. Hope this helps. Just click the link below for pics and part #'s:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C400-1995.html
Old 07-25-11, 03:13 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

It's confirmed guys, well, it all started with my wheels and tires being out of balance, and running aftermarket wheels with no hub centric rings, but the big vibration it made before I was able to get it fixed shot the LCA bushings and motor mounts. So yeah, I'm gonna be doing that soon anyways, but not this soon, so I guess I have no choice now. And it's sounding like my problem is totally the same as the OP's, because now the vibration also comes and goes. From what I noticed it starts vibrating when I come to a wavy road and after passing it I need to slow down for the vibration to stop. And also high RPM contributes to the story so I use the O/D now.

Quick Reply: Shaking at 60mph