SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Shaking at 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 05:27 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking at 60mph

Ok guys. I got another problem and I hope you guys have the answer. A few weeks ago i bought a used tire. I road on the streets for 2 days and then the 3rd day I took it on the freeway. I took it up to 60 mph an my car started shaking. Mind you my car never did that with the previous bald tire. Also my upper control arms have been replaced. Now I took it to a shop to find out that the tire had a bubble. So I got another tire, took it on the freeway and guess what happened? It started shaking at 60 again. What could be wrong?
Old 07-12-11, 05:37 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been having the same problem this past months. Well, the shaking all started because of a bad tire. Just like that, it had bubbles. It made my wheel balancing very bad that Discount Tires nor Lexus couldn't align it right. Since the bushings and engine mounts are pretty old to take a beating like that, it finally gave up. So now, I need to change my motor mounts, steering rack bushings, LCA bushing(might as well change the UCA bushing since it's gonna be taken apart) and I need to buy new tires before I get everything aligned again. So check everything out. Also, check your transmission mounting since you're gonna be checking the bushings.
Old 07-12-11, 05:38 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the wheel balanced properly ? Thats step one. Step two, alignment. Anytime you ever take suspension apart an alignment is probably a good idea.
Old 07-12-11, 06:24 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

sounds like you need a new tire not a used one because it doesnt sound like your having good luck with used ones, plus used tires will always have some sort of problem with them cupping on the edges is very common on used and flat spots depending on how your tire place is storing them, i know the one in my city stack them all crazy after baking in floridas heat enough days they develop flats spots which cause all kinds of vibration...
Old 07-12-11, 07:15 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

The tire I bought is new. I have a new steering rack, new outer tie rods. The inners are stock I think. The bearings are good and the wheels are not bent. Also the engine never shakes so the mounts seam good and I don't think my trans mount would go out without a few signs.
Old 07-12-11, 08:01 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have aftermarket wheels? If so check to see if it needs a hub centric ring like the one in the image below. You might of had it installed but tire shop could of easily forgot to put it back on. If not then I'm out of ideas.

Old 07-12-11, 08:12 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

+1 on sc4doubleO! This is the thing that helped me the most! I love these things! Mine came in color purple! LOL
Old 07-12-11, 08:39 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Get plastic or rubber hub rings. Dont get metal because metal on metal stick like super glue. If it rust, GL
Old 07-12-11, 08:56 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the tires on a roadforce balancer and stand there and watch them zero out the balance!
Old 07-13-11, 12:19 AM
313sc3
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone. Ill check tomorrow.
Old 07-13-11, 12:26 AM
B1TEM3
Pole Position

yep, first do roadforce balancing, as said above, do also the match the high spot of the tire with the low spot of the rims (not only it solve most vibration, it also allow you to use less weights to balance the wheel.
You balance the rims only, then balance the wheel (with the tire on after), if you have bad tire, or out of round rims, this procedure should detect those.

There are many things causing vibration (other than wheels and alignment issue, some member mentioned above), hoist/jack your car, inspect the wheels if there is play (bad wheel bearing, bad ball joints, etc).
Old 07-13-11, 01:48 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

This is what this shop did for mine to finally get rid of the main cause of the vibration; http://www.sdmotoring.com/Services.html

But like I said it damaged too much that I need to fix all those stuff I mentioned above before going for another alignment(I don't wanna keep going back and fort for the alignment, JC Autohouse is very far from SD)
Old 07-13-11, 06:51 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine shakes at 60mph as well. I've driven on stock wheels, aftermarket wheels with hub centric rings, had alignment done each time I mount new tires or swap wheels... and it still doesn't help. The passenger rear wheel area is my issue. I think the shocks or bearing is toast. I changed my commute to drive on the back roads to avoid going over 60mph.
Old 07-13-11, 09:33 AM
lemaylexus
Driver

Do you ever notice a weird, hot smell when you get out of the car after a drive? Does the shaking transmit through the steering wheel? This is a shot in the dark, and I highly doubt this is your problem, but I had a similar issue years ago and it turned out that I had a seized break caliper. Any time I would hit the brake the shaking would get worse, then gradually dissipate. Hope you can find a solution, as I know how supremely annoying that shaking is.
Old 07-13-11, 09:46 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check your wheels for bends

Quick Reply: Shaking at 60mph