SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Wheels Rota Torques!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 07:48 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

the wheels are ok I guess, not my cup of tea but they look pretty good.

Why do people call these more affordable wheels 'knock offs' or replicas.

What exactly are these wheels a replica of?

Same with xxr's and varrstoens, I Think some of them are quite nice actually and I doint see what makes them replicas, they are just cheaper priced rim big deal.
Old 07-15-11, 08:31 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

These are knockoffs of Cr Kai's.
Old 07-15-11, 08:42 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Exactly I love my SC and could have bought a C5 Z06 or other car that will outhandle my SC with the money I spent modding the SC. My car wouldn't stand a chance on a road racing course in it's current form even with my single turbo etc. I'm yet to take it to a 1/4 mile track, would love to go to a 1/2 mile or 1 mile runway. I built my car for street fun aka highway pulls here and there I let off on turns ha ha.

Anyway back on topic. OP like I said earlier setup looks nice.
I can really appreciate that. I am ALL for building a car to your specific needs and wants. How many of us even participate in any type of road course racing?
Old 07-15-11, 09:54 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet wheels i think there are so many rim companies now a days that there really is no knock offs... all look the same to me all made out of metal... lol... if u aint rockin "knockoffs" these days ur the one thats out of style... sad to think that ppl rather have used brand name rims then brand new "replicas".
Old 07-15-11, 10:45 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cmh
sad to think that ppl rather have used brand name rims then brand new "replicas".
That's like saying you'd rather buy a new Kia than a used Lexus.

There's quality differences between real and knockoffs.
Old 07-15-11, 10:51 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
That's like saying you'd rather buy a new Kia than a used Lexus.

There's quality differences between real and knockoffs.
actually i kinda would... i mean no offense i have an sc but the way things are these days ppl rather have a car they kno for sure works great then buying a used one that may have a million problems...

same thing with wheels... the reason i say its sad is cuz u can buy a work wheel used but it will bend the same as a rota if u hit a ditch... thats if the used wheel doesnt already have an imperfection naked to the eye... i know i have bought some used wheels before and wen i went to mount tires on it they had a very small minor crack... go figure they were gfgs... 7 thousand dollar rims.
Old 07-15-11, 11:28 AM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDSC
you can buy a used z06 for 15k nowdays...just saying...if you want to road race sc is by far not the best car to do it with. You get a sc for 5k and dump 5k in suspension into it which isnt much honestly...and youre still getting waxed by a bone stock c5 vette which cost around 10k. What i'm trying to get at is dont get on people for running cheap tires when you saying you cant afford a used z06 and have to work with what you got.
Yeah, but the initial purchase price of a C5 Z06 is about 10k more than an SC. Some people simply don't have access to that sort of money up front.

The point I was trying to make is... some people mod their cars to do highway pulls, some mod for show, some mod for drag racing, etc, etc. And most of the time, no matter what car you drive, there is going to be a better car out there. But seriously, variety makes things all the better. Otherwise every racer should probably buy a Miata and throw some Hoosiers on it.

A person may find that he only needs a replica rim because it gets the job done and because it's in his budget. As long as it's done tastefully, I don't see what the big deal is. I understand that some people might not like it, but it's really not their car.

So to the people who said they didn't like the OP's decision, why'd you click on the thread anyway?
Old 07-15-11, 11:35 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VinSCe
So to the people who said they didn't like the OP's decision, why'd you click on the thread anyway?
man thats probably the best statement ever made on this forum yet... that should be like the number 1 rule on this forum and i bet it would function a hell of a lot better... some ppl dont know how to just move on.
Old 07-15-11, 11:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cmh
man thats probably the best statement ever made on this forum yet... that should be like the number 1 rule on this forum and i bet it would function a hell of a lot better... some ppl dont know how to just move on.
Free Speech is guaranteed by the constitution, if no one wants anyone to disagree with their choices they shouldn't post anything up oh wait that's going against their constitutional right of free speech.
Old 07-15-11, 11:48 AM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
Free Speech is guaranteed by the constitution, if no one wants anyone to disagree with their choices they shouldn't post anything up oh wait that's going against their constitutional right of free speech.
Just because it's legal for me to walk down the street and tell everyone to **** themselves... doesn't mean I should do it, right?

Politeness counts in the real world, despite the fact it doesn't show up on paper. Would you personally stop someone and say, "I don't like you cause you don't dress like me"?
Old 07-15-11, 11:48 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cmh
Positive and negative feedback should be welcomed regardless. That's what a forum is all about.
Old 07-15-11, 11:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by VinSCe
Just because it's legal for me to walk down the street and tell everyone to **** themselves... doesn't mean I should do it, right?

Politeness counts in the real world, despite the fact it doesn't show up on paper. Would you personally stop someone and say, "I don't like you cause you don't dress like me"?
You're right but you still have the right to do that if you so please.

This is an online forum not everyone here is going to mod their car the same exact way. Some people prefer 97 conversions with moderate wheel fitment while some go for kits, stretched tires etc.... I believe everyone should respect each other's taste but that's not the real world people will say how they feel.
Old 07-15-11, 01:21 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

i agree withmany points here of the two sides but to me an opinion is "ur rims are nice" or "ur rims could use a color change" or "u should have gone bigger... somewhere along the line it got changed to a topic about knockoffs like many many MANY of the threads in htis forum.

would u go into a jewish church if u were a christian and yell out ur beliefs are bullsh* T... i really dont think so.... 9times out of 10 the ppl that post crappy statements would never say something like that in person... im just saying man keep the peace.

a lot of ppl say drop ur car... no one is ******* them because thats cunstructive... the agrument started about fake or real... those are facts that the OP never asked for anyones opinions on.
Old 07-15-11, 01:28 PM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Positive and negative feedback should be welcomed regardless. That's what a forum is all about.
^^^^^ This.
Old 07-15-11, 04:06 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
How many of us even participate in any type of road course racing?
I race autocross and get destroyed by all the Evo's and STi's in SM class. I do it because it's a whole lot of fun.

On another note, I really like the color combo on the OP's car. The wheels contrast the red really well. Good choice!!!

Quick Reply: New Wheels Rota Torques!!