SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 12:49 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Brakes

I noticed some detriorating brake performance. From the outside all brake pads and rotors lookd good. I put the car on jacks and took the wheels off and noticed on the rear brakes that the inside pads of both rears were worn down to almost nothing but the outside pads were almost new. I went down to a auto parts place and bought and replaced all the rear brake pads (fronts were still good). I am concerned that the calipers are bad. any thoughts? Thanks
Old 09-18-02, 09:32 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

bump! anyone?
Old 09-18-02, 02:52 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you take the pins out to cleaned and regrease with hight temerature grease? You may need to treplace the O-Ring on the pins also. Make sure the pins go back to the same location. When the pin dried the brake doesn't work properly.
Old 09-18-02, 02:55 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

i will try that. Thank you
Old 09-18-02, 03:27 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Do the front pins also. The front pins are prone to dried out and rusted in side the holes. It took me two days to take the front pins out after using hammer, long breaker bar... results...the pins were rusted and twist. Had to buy new one.
The pins should be very easy to take out. It should just slide out without much effort.
Old 09-18-02, 03:39 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

when you say pins you mean the caliper pistons right?
Old 09-18-02, 03:45 PM
Frankinaustin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pins?

i'm also unclear by what is meant by "pins", too.
Old 09-18-02, 04:33 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

The sliding pins are the pins that connect the brake caliper to the brake bracket. It is locate at the two bolts that you have to take out to replace the brake pads. Most mechanic just take out one bolt and loosen the other bolt to swing the caliper out of the way, then replace the brake pads.

take the two bolts out, take the caliper out, the stud that you see where the bolt attach to it the sliding pin. Pull the pins out, clean and grease.

The pin need to be able to slide in and out so that the caliper can move accordingly hence the two pads wear out evenly...every car have this.
Old 09-18-02, 06:35 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I don't mind you guys shooting the **** about stereo's and such but if you don't know the difference between sliding pins and caliper pistons you should not be ******* with your brakes, I do not care about your lives being put in danger (and your friends/family), I worry I might the unfortunate b4stard you kill when you get brake failure due to incompetent repairs.

If you don't know what is what, please dont play with your brakes, take it to a shop or someone with good experience, just how many of you attempt these things without having at least a workshop manual for guidance ? Quite a few judging by the stupid questions that are asked.

PS VQT, all cars do not have sliding calipers, in fact they are in the minority.

Last edited by London Bill; 09-19-02 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-18-02, 06:45 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by London Bill

PS VQT, all cars do not have sliding calipers, in fact they are in the minority.
You're right not all cars have sliding pins for their brake system. Some have diffrence set up but used same sliding principle

For my limited experience, Hondas have them and the rear brake on my 88 Vette. has them. The front brake for the Vette. is different and they do not use sliding pins which need greasing.
Old 09-18-02, 10:29 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I agree with LondonBill,

Brakes are not the place for trial and error in learning to wrench on cars. Intakes and exhaust, stereos and subwoofers and even oil changes and radiator work will not kill you... Brakes, wrong size tires (like another thread), and drivetrain just may kill you.

I just want to add one thing. When reassembling the two bolts that thread to the 'sliding pins' be sure that you torque these down correctly with a torque wrench or the like. I have seen more than a few people limp their cars in with one bolt or NO bolts left because of the incorrect procedure. I have even seen a guys caliper catch his 5 spoke rim wrong and BYE BYE.

Be safe, by a service manual and follow ALL the steps.

MW
Old 09-19-02, 10:35 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

When someone asks a question here about a problem with their car is to make sure that we don't get ripped off when we go to the service station. At least that has been the case for me. I do many minor maintenance on my car on my own but I don't even rotate my own tires for the reasons you mentione. I think most of the people are smart enough not to mess with brakes, tires, drivetrain, etc etc.

LondonBill: You post in many threads and I know that you know your cars. But is no reason to be so agressive in your responses, most of us realize that we don't have the knowledge to work on some aspects of our cars and its just a precaution that we take. Knowledge is power. Like in my case the service station guy wanted to replace both calipers instead of simply doing what VQT suggested. By knowing what VQT mentioned and now going back to the service station to have the pins cleaned out rather than changing both calipers I probably saved over $500.

I do appreciate all the help that all you guys have given over time and I hope to continue hearing your suggestions on fixes, diagnosis, and other Lexus related questions. I am sure once the FAQ is completed there will be a whole lot less stupid or repetitive questions.
Old 09-21-02, 09:27 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I think this was one of those times when SHOUTING was required, there is no problem getting advice about these issues but the mechanicaly challenged should be kept away from their braking system just like I should never be allowed to operate a cooker or look in the fridge for anything other than Duff Beer.
Old 09-22-02, 02:12 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Bill on this one, shouting was required, he's just watchin' out for you guys. By the way, front and rear brakes just completed on my car yesterday, noticed I was getting uneven amounts of brake dust on the front and suspected the sliding pins, sure enough, they were seized enough that they had to be heated with a torch to get them out, so much for the shiny Red calipers, I guess I have some painting ahead of me this week. By the way, had a little steering wheel oscillation at 80+ mph, thought they might have balanced the wheels/tyres poorly when they polished my lips, but in the few miles I drove it yesterday, didn't notice any problems at speed, i'll test it further today to confirm, but I didn't think that a caliper hanging up was the cause, at least in my case, anyone else had a similar experience? I know it can happen, just wondering if any of you had the same thing....

- Jon
Old 09-22-02, 04:45 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
By the way, had a little steering wheel oscillation at 80+ mph, thought they might have balanced the wheels/tyres poorly when they polished my lips, but in the few miles I drove it yesterday, didn't notice any problems at speed, i'll test it further today to confirm, but I didn't think that a caliper hanging up was the cause, at least in my case, anyone else had a similar experience? I know it can happen, just wondering if any of you had the same thing.... - Jon
I am leaning toward wheel balancing. My car doesn't vibrate before or after I repair the pins. I was too afraid to used heat, I used a breaker bar and two thousand cans of WD40 and machine oil to twise the pin until it was loose enough to take out. Even had to take the caliper out to twise the pins easier. Took me two days for it ended up twised the pins and had to buy new one from Steve Ganz.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes