SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Condensation inside headlight (not what you think)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-02, 02:55 AM
Lexson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation inside headlight (not what you think)

I just want to make sure I understand this after reading the archives....in order to reseal the headlight due to condensation, I do NOT need to take off the lens with a heatgun or oven-just use clear silicone over the existing sealer? Taking off the lens would only need to be done if I were cleaning inside of lens?
Old 09-18-02, 04:32 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont you need to clean the insides before you want to seal it? Another easy way to go is to simply drill a small hole, not deep on the bottom side of the lights that hides in back of the chrome bottom.

*I have no idea what I just said....
Old 09-18-02, 06:45 AM
Lexson
Driver School Candidate

Im not drilling any holes into my headlight...I think consensus is not to do that.
I think cleaning can also be achieved by putting soapy water into the headlight and then drying with hair dryer? Im just worried about sealing it now.
Old 09-18-02, 10:02 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Why would you need to seal it if you're not taking it apart. If you're washing it out with soap and water than you dont need to seal anything. You're just taking it out of the car washing the out and inside and then drying it out and putting it back in the car. No need to seal anything.
Old 09-18-02, 11:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he's talking about the common leakage problem with SC headlights. He must already have a bad seal and it probably fogs up when it rains or you wash it...

If the inside doesn't need to be cleaned, then yes, you can just reseal it. It can be any color sealant...the factory uses grey I think.

You will need to remove the headlight though (which is a PITA) because you need to get the sides of the headlights (by the turn signal).

DO NOT DRILL your headlights...
Old 09-18-02, 01:45 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I'm having the condensation problem, too. Looks like a fairly easy fix, and thanks for the clarification on the not needing to disassemble.

Ral
Old 09-18-02, 08:08 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

I know someone who did this and when it gets condensation inside, it goes away in 5 minutes. Headlights look good and maintains the original sealed look.

Just a suggestion... ** I went with taking the headlights out.
Old 09-18-02, 10:37 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Lexson,

Pull the headlight out. Take out the four screws in the fender well toward the front of the car.. Pull back plastic and remove the two 10mm nuts on the outside edge of the lamp. Remove 10mm bolt on the top of the headlight from under the hood.

Unplug lamps and carefully work it straight out.

Use the dishwashing soap method that is posted on the forum.. you need to search for it.

Reseal lamp with an automotive sealant from a parts store. Black or grey will be fine. Just follow the gap across the top of the light. No real need to do the bottom...

Lastly, the light ALREADY has holes to release any condensation and a small hose to release the fluid. Drilling a hole doesnt do anything more than the stock one does. It also will CRACK your internal reflector.

MW
Old 09-18-02, 11:51 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me just echo: do not drill holes in your headlight! Find the crack in your headlight housing and run it over with silicone glass sealant, or even plastic glue.
Old 09-19-02, 12:01 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

OK ... DO NOT DRILL HOLES!!!!

- I was just stating what another fellow sc owner did to his... do not take my word for it... Also he did not drill it where the reflectors were... If he uses this forum, maybe he can explain...

DO NOT DRILL HOLES!
Old 09-20-02, 09:49 PM
bigmonkey70
Rookie

Isn't drill hole make moisture come in? I don't think drill holes is the solution.

My driver side headlight was flooded with water after a storm. Yea Im talking about flooded, not fogged up. It didn't go away for over a week. I took it out, tilted up and water ran out the drain hose like crazy. I left it there for a few minutes then using the air compressor to blew out more water. Then blow dry it with a hair dryer. Then ran a generous beat of silicone all around the edge of the headlight. Let it dries overnight. So far the problem hasn't repeat itself.