SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

did i just do something really dumb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 04:42 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i just do something really dumb?

okay so i just finished installing a fmic, and when i was putting my bumper back on i accidentally caught the headlight housing and didn't realize i did it, by the time i got my bumper on the housing was really stretched, but its still a good enough seal to keep moisture out. however, the person who owned the car before me did the same thing, except he really f'ed up the housing, and when i pulled the bumper off it wrecked the seal completely. ( the bumper being attached was the only thing keeping the seal together, thus when i pulled it off i broke the seal) and now the headlight has tons of moisture in it. so what i figured is i would drill near-microscoptic holes in the coner of the headlight. i used the smallest drill bit iv ever seen, it was 3/64 i believe, so you can imagine how small the holes are. i drilled 3. my thoughts where the tiny holes would let air through my head lights and get the moisture out. and yes, i did think about weather. i don't drive my car at all in the winter, and never in the rain. thats what the daily s are for. and for dust, i cant see much getting in anyways because of how small the holes are.And when snow hits the car is getting parked for the winter and im going to take the headlight apart to clear out the inside anyways, so i will clean it then. dose cl have an thoughts on this? has anyone else done this? or have all i done here is mess up my headlights?
Old 07-20-11, 05:07 PM
nlc
Pole Position

Atleast show sum pics so we can see how bad it is. Was it to far gone for sum sort of sealant? Or what?
Old 07-20-11, 05:08 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as drilling holes into your lights go... it was a common solution for RX-8 owners when I used to own one.

Our tail-lights were prone to moisture condensation and we'd just drill tiny holes into them. It worked like a charm. I think you should be fine.
Old 07-20-11, 05:11 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Why not just reseal them though. It only takes 5 minutes to pull the headlights lol. Well I hope it works because people selling SC parts seem to think they are worth their weight in gold.
Old 07-20-11, 05:13 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

thanks you for your input! i was hopeing so, and yes, the houseing is mangeld. missing 3/4 of it
Old 07-20-11, 05:13 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say the same thing, reseal the lights..
Old 07-20-11, 05:19 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Why not just reseal them though. It only takes 5 minutes to pull the headlights lol. Well I hope it works because people selling SC parts seem to think they are worth their weight in gold.
hahaha! and i did think about resealing them! but the houseing is completely wrecked. im going to do this in the winter. the moisture was terrible, and this just made most sense to me to do this becuase i literally JUST got my car together again, and the last thing i wanted was to take it apart again. in the winter im going to do it right though, and sand down the inside to make them clear
Old 07-20-11, 06:24 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

You're talking about the one of the high beams right? Just buy another high beam dude, they don't go for much anyway
Old 07-20-11, 08:50 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

I'd say reseal also.. silicon.
Old 07-20-11, 11:59 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

no, im talking about day time runnings and low beam, and this is just a temporary fix, im going to reseal them, and clear them out in the winter, this actully worked super well.
Old 07-21-11, 07:10 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Reseal the lights they shouldnt have gotten jacked up at all when you pulled oyur bumper off. I have fastners on my bumper and take it off at some of the tracks we go too. just pull them apart and get some black Sealer or caulking and put them back together. I suggest you get some cleaner or resealer for the lenses. i get this silver packeged stuff at Advanced autoparts and it dosnt leave resedue on the inside of the light like mcguires and some others do. it is a resealing coat and takes about 15 minutes and involves sanding (its so damn easy )
try this
Old 07-21-11, 07:11 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
ell I hope it works because people selling SC parts seem to think they are worth their weight in gold.
This x2 Kind of pisses me off sometimes to see 18 year old parts still selling for hundreds of dollars. I guess the buyers are the ones allowing this to happen though.
Old 07-21-11, 06:23 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Triple C
Reseal the lights they shouldnt have gotten jacked up at all when you pulled oyur bumper off. I have fastners on my bumper and take it off at some of the tracks we go too. just pull them apart and get some black Sealer or caulking and put them back together. I suggest you get some cleaner or resealer for the lenses. i get this silver packeged stuff at Advanced autoparts and it dosnt leave resedue on the inside of the light like mcguires and some others do. it is a resealing coat and takes about 15 minutes and involves sanding (its so damn easy )
try this
thank you for your input! i will defiantly do this in the winter. and btw, the headlights did dry out perfectly ( to my suprise)