SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need help making a laundry list

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 10:22 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S0ulTuner
Really? what year is yours? and im a bit of a noob so could you explain what bfi means?
Bfi is a homemade intake you can do it yourself for free and you can get some pretty decent gains than an aftermarket one. But it really depends on how efficient you make it. just use the search in the forum.

I have an 01 gt.

http://planetsoarer.com/BFI3/bfi3.htm
Old 07-21-11, 10:32 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Okay, well where can I find a 1JZ? and how much is this swap (money wise) gonna require roughly?
Old 07-21-11, 10:34 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

oh nice, I have a 97 celica, I love it but like this SC, the only way I can get anywhere with it is to do an engine swap and it really drives me up the wall that this kind of stuff stops me all the time
Old 07-21-11, 10:42 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1JZ swaps can usually be done from between 1400-4000 dollars. Since you're not mechanically savvy, it's going to be on the further end for you. Then again, not all 1JZ swaps are the same...

Some people spend more because they want an R154 manual transmission, some people spend less because they can do the wiring themselves. Some people spend 600 hiring a forum member to do the swap for them, some people have close friends that would do the swap for them for the price of beer and pizza. There are a lot of factors...

You can buy 1JZ's on ebay... or from Japanese engine importer websites. You will want the Soarer version (there's a Chaser model, you don't want that one). The Soarer model is generally more expensive because it is more sought-after. The Chaser 1JZ is not necessarily a bolt-on affair but with some work, you could make it work (not recommended).
Old 07-21-11, 11:09 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

the first thing i would do is coilovers and rims and tires. ( because your gonna wanna buy rims that are bigger then your facorty ones, obviously. for some reason everyone forgets this) and if i where you i would do it right the first time, becuase it dosent make sence to buy rims, but still like other ones more, becuase eventually youll get the rims you really like, then you wasted money on the first set you bought. unless you sell them, but second hand rims dont go for very much. what im saying is do it up right the first time. welcome to the club.
Old 07-22-11, 08:10 AM
S0ulTuner
Driver

okay so I get, first coilovers, rims, and tires. As for this 1JZ...
So I have found a good handful but theyre used an selling for between 1800-2200 and I found others selling for 1500 but it was a supra motor. Also I found some on ebay but they were used and the people offered ****ty warrenties (2 monthes which is a shorter time then how long it will prolly take to do the swap itself)

These are the sites ive been to so far:

http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/engines/toyota/
http://www.tokyomotorimports.com/engine/toyota.html

its not many so what are some good, reliable sites to look at for these?
Old 07-22-11, 09:21 AM
S0ulTuner
Driver

So what about the 2JZ motor? Is that harder to swap to swap in? 'cuz its hard to find 1JZ that arent chasers!
And what about the SC400's V8? could I do that and have the same potential as the 1JZ and 2JZ?
Old 07-22-11, 12:52 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

well the motor you choose is all depending what you wanna do with your car and how much power you wan out of it and how much money you wanna put into it. its really your call, but tell us what you wanna do and cl will give you some answers
Old 07-22-11, 01:10 PM
VinSCe
Driver

The V8's that come in the SC4's, known as the 1UZ, have much more potential than the JZ-engines (you can't argue against a 1.0-1.5 liter increase in displacement with the help of two extra cylinders). However, that potential has yet to have been realized by the most people. Toyota spent millions and millions of dollars on the development of the 1UZ; it's one badass engine.

The issue with the 1UZ is the fact it's aftermarket is less developed than the aftermarket for the JZ engines. At this point in time, many would rather go with the JZ for ease of tuning. It's been done many times so all the kinks have been ironed out. Even now in 2011, 1UZ tuning is uncharted waters for a lot of people.

2JZ's also swap in quite easy. However, the 2JZ is a little harder to wire as well as a little bit more expensive compared to the 1JZ. Unless you get a Supra 2J, you will need a rear-sump oil pan setup. Supra 2J's are hard to come by as well as being pretty damn expensive when they do pop up. You'll probably be buying an Aristo 2J that comes with a front-sump oil pan. You can re-use the oil pan that comes stock in your SC300 because it's a rear set-up. All you have to do is drill your own hole in the pan for an oil return line.

If you were planning on letting Dr. Tweak (PhoenixTuning) do your wiring harness, he can easily wire a 2J Aristo/SC300 harness for you. It's not necessary as you can do this yourself with the help of the wiring diagrams that are on the forum, but if you're doing this your first time, I would recommend that you let Dr. Tweak take care of it for you. (It will reduce the possibility of things that may possibly go wrong, not to mention his wiring harness will look and probably work so much better).

As for Soarer 1JZ's.. they're around; you simply have to wait every now and then. As for the warranty, you're probably not going to get anything longer than 2 months. That's simply how it is. I understand it may take that long for some people to just get the engine in the engine bay but at least you have a warranty.

Honestly, start going to meets around your area. Make friends and ask questions... you'll learn very quickly. The other quirk that comes from making friends... I've seen some guys here perform swap for people in return for almost nothing. (there was a guy who performed a 1J swap for another in return for that person's 2JZ-GE block, which is only worth a few hundred).

Either way, this may be overwhelming you right now but look at this as a project you're going to work on over the next few years. Take it step by step and you'll end up with a masterpiece.
Old 07-22-11, 02:34 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

I do have one meet I have been going to religiously on the first saturday of each month (not lexus specific tho, just whoever wants to show up shows up) and am gonna start making friends around the complex and see what I find out. For right now, should I focus on getting rims, coilovers, tires, and all those kind of goodies like the new paintjob an ac in the meantime until I get enough money, knowhow, and equipment for an engine swap? And I really appreciate the advice you guys have been giving me, I cant thank you enough, and dealing with my newbie questions , I never got this much help at my celica forum.
Old 07-22-11, 02:43 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Post up pictures of your car. You probably don't need a paint job unless it's REALLY bad. Quality paint jobs are around 3,000 as well. Definitely not something you want to do.

Just do general maintenance then rims and coilovers for now. That's usually a good starting point for most.
Old 07-22-11, 09:00 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Originally Posted by VinSCe
Post up pictures of your car. You probably don't need a paint job unless it's REALLY bad. Quality paint jobs are around 3,000 as well. Definitely not something you want to do.
Yeah thats very true, I just know one of the rear corner panels is rusting, my sister scratched the paint on the driver side door, but on top of that im pretty sure the paints either peeling or fading. And ill try its just not in my driveway at the moment. My sis still needs it until my dads parents get rid of their olds 88 so she can get a 4dr for her daughter and actually put a child seat in the back and not use the sketchy saturn lol
Old 07-23-11, 12:02 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Well also my dad was in auto body and just said its at the stage of its life where it needs to be restared, or in my case, resto-modded
Old 07-23-11, 12:23 PM
JDMJoe239
Pole Position

this thread is really helping me out too, i was planning on a 1jz swap before i got the car. i just got the car 2 days ago and insured it today, gotta wait till monday to register it though

i dont mean to hijack the thread but it should help out soultuner too. anybody here ever use ksport coilovers? im looking for good sport coilovers, idc too much about comfort. i was looking and these seem better then tein flex coils and they're $400 cheaper. http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part..._Spec_AR/14628

also what are some good websites to buy parts from? this is my first car so i havent had a chance to learn all of this stuff yet.
Old 07-23-11, 12:32 PM
VinSCe
Driver

This is probably the best street suspension money can buy...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...pension-thread

...well, under 1,000 that is.

Quick Reply: Need help making a laundry list