Need help making a laundry list

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 10:02 AM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need help making a laundry list

Hey,
I just joined club lexus yesterday because my sister is gonna get rid of her '93 lexus SC300 that she got from my mom and its gonna come to me and it prolly has alot more upgrades then my Celica (I'm praying)
I already know I need body work, new AC and a passenger door console but I want Get performance

What are the upgrades I should get? Im probably gonna take care of exhaust first but I cant find headers or just full exhaust kits!
Old 07-21-11, 10:04 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

add gas money to your list. its gonna eat more gas than your celica

welcome to CL
Old 07-21-11, 08:58 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Oh thats taken care of, im 18 and work at a gas station, nuff said
I just need performance parts and I can get the ball rolling
Old 07-21-11, 09:13 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on your goals and how much you want to ultimately spend. There's so much you can do with SC's...

For instance, you can turbo your current N/A motor, swap in a 1/2JZ, swap in a manual, etc, etc... Check out the performance and maintenance section.

And always remember the first rule of modding:
Always perform maintenance before you mod...
Old 07-21-11, 09:22 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

I ultimatly willing to put in a pretty penny (have to do body work and AC and interior components so why not go farther?) I may turbo later on but mostly wanna get a good CAI and exhaust that gives me a cargasm(pretty much no apexi mufflers that makes it sound bad and cheap in my opinion) just the basic mods for now. And with CAI, how am I gonna get that to work besides removing high beams?
Old 07-21-11, 09:26 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Cool

And my main goal is take this car which has those couple of problems and turn it into A good head turner (not super flashy and out there but cleanly done) with good power to have some fun on the highway and around town, maybe even bring to a cars 'n coffee
Old 07-21-11, 09:31 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheels, you will need wheels

Welcome and good luck.
Old 07-21-11, 09:35 PM
VinSCe
Driver

You're not going to make much by trying to extract power from your car without the help of forced induction. Perhaps its just me but I'd rather just save up to have enough to either turbo my 2JZ-GE or swap in a 1/2JZ-GTE. I'd skip on the CAI and just throw on a K&N filter.

As for finding an exhaust that you'll like... just listen to sound clips on Youtube of various exhaust systems. Everyone seems to have a different opinion as to what they like or don't like.

If you want a subtle head tuner, go for a 97+ conversion, a nice drop, with your choice of rims.
Old 07-21-11, 09:35 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Well what would you recommend? give a couple suggestion
And thank you. I have a feeling ill need it
And lovin this more and more by the second, you guys respond fast!
Old 07-21-11, 09:41 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Okay what are some good turbos and what will I need for something like that?
Old 07-21-11, 09:42 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Don't get a cai just do a bfi mod. exhaust, rims, drop. It's funny I have a celica too..
Old 07-21-11, 09:45 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Really? what year is yours? and im a bit of a noob so could you explain what bfi means?
Old 07-21-11, 09:46 PM
VinSCe
Driver

There's no universal right answer I can give you. What I recommend you do is to simply hang around and try to learn something new every day.

READ. READ. READ! There are hundreds, if not thousands of very useful threads here on CL that will help you. Follow build threads... these are usually the most insightful.

I'll just start you off with this...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...pic-heavy.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...parts-buy.html

The 1JZ option is probably the most newbie friendly (and is the cheapest option most of the time). Some more mechanically inclined newbies to SC's might have an easier time turbo'ing their stock motor but for the masses, a 1JZ swap should be easier. (You don't have to deal with the fabrication that is normally associated with budget NA-T'ing)

The 1JZ basically "bolts on" to SC300's... the wiring is also plug and play after you extend the wiring harness about 20 inches... or you could send it to this guy and he'll do it for you.

http://www.tweakdperformance.com/services.html

As far as giving you a list of turbos... it's not that simple. Anyways, in time you'll understand. Just keep reading up and don't be afraid to use the search function.

Last edited by VinSCe; 07-21-11 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 09:54 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Well like ive said, im a noob and not ain a good place to do engine swaps, I have none of the supplies. I have a friend that has it I think but where could I find a 1JZ? and if I did this, how would it compare to just sticking with my original motor in amount of mods and amount of parts?
Old 07-21-11, 10:07 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Putting a turbo on your current motor could be done as little as 2000 dollars. However, you just said that you're new to all of this. The guys that do this for 2000 dollars usually possess a plethora of tools, a wide range of mechanical knowledge, as well as useful abilities such as welding.

It might sound like an oxymoron but slapping a turbo onto your current motor is actually going to be harder than swapping in a 1JZ. In Japan, the SC came with the 1JZ engine. Because of that, a 1JZ swap into an SC300 basically bolts right in. Read the threads I posted, they have good information in them.

The cheapest NA-T turbo kit is the XS-Power one, however, it doesn't fit very well (you get what you pay for) and most guys end up having to pay more to get it to fit right or they make it fit right themselves... but it's definitely not going to be easy for any newbie to attempt. Not to mention, you're going to need an aftermarket engine management system, either a piggyback or a standalone (a whole 'nother can of worms).

Quick Reply: Need help making a laundry list