SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Have read the Leather threads, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-02, 02:27 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The perforated inserts is 35.00 extra. The group buy does not all have to be the same application, but they would prefer it, so if any LS or ES fiolks would like to join in let me know-

Keith

I would like to set up the purchase within the next few weeks.

Please PM me if you are seriously interested in this. Please resopnd promptly so as not to be left out. Thanks.
Old 09-27-02, 03:12 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't believe i skipped this thread! so with 5 people, the cost for front and rear seats will be only $593?? and you can also pick two tone....
Old 09-27-02, 04:04 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Yes-

Please PM me w/ model/year of vehicle and I will try to get the ball rolling. Also if you want 2-tone or perf seats and what color.

The more the merrier - so far ->3 people the more we get the cheaper it is!!!
Old 09-28-02, 04:43 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What's this I hear about perforated inserts being all leather and regular is not? What is in regular?

Also, do the perforations feel any different or is it just looks? How do they wear, maintance, etc.?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 09-28-02, 01:45 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on your original seats, sometimes upholstery companies will opt to make certain non-seat face pieces out of high grade vinyl for durability. Leather does not work well in all situations. My covers from www.leatherseats.com had the perforations but a few small areas were vinyl backed for support. You can't tell which part is leather once they are installed.

The perforations wear the same as the solid faces. The never model Lexus cars came with the perforated leather and that is why I choose to do it. In hindsight I would have probably gone for a two-tone with the perforations for a more dramatic effect.

Whatever you choose, when you talk to Eric, ask for some advice, he has seen it all and will help you out.

MW
Old 09-28-02, 03:22 PM
Snowman9000
Rookie

What do you guys think about using matching vinyl for the front seat side bolsters, where the wear occurs from getting in and out?
Old 09-28-02, 03:28 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Default leatherseats.com

I was one of the first purchasers of leather seats from leatherseats.com for my SC300

The total cost was about $900 for ALL seats, including the headrests. I bought extra leather and had my local upholstery shop sew up new door arm rests and center console armrest.

The results are fantastic, and can't be told from factory. Excellent fit, and the leather is highest quality. It will probably cost you another $400-500 to have a good local shop install the seats unless you know what you are doing.
Old 09-28-02, 04:44 PM
Snowman9000
Rookie

The results are fantastic, and can't be told from factory.
That brings up a question. I looked at the color samples at their web site. Does anyone know what color matches the light beige stock color, and what color matches the oak contrasting trim in the stock interior? Thanks.
Old 09-28-02, 06:21 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Don,

Sandstone is the color of your factory seats.

I think Beige is the color of the Dash and window trim on the doors. I would call or email Eric for confirmation.

MW
Old 09-30-02, 09:51 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Sandstone is the correct match for the Tan interiors.
Old 10-04-02, 01:02 AM
TexLexSC400
Driver School Candidate

Snowman9000 -

I had a similar situation with my '94 driver's seat. I talked with he guys at Leather Renew (they're in Houston) about a re-finish kit. Since I'm in Houston as well, they came by the house for a look-see.

In about 2 hours they had completely cleaned, sanded, filled (the cracks), and sprayed new color-matched dye on both front seats and the arm rest. They then spray a top coat over the whole lot to seal things. It matches the interior within a knat's eye.

They came back 2 weeks later and redid my steering wheel (oil based dye on that as opposed to water based on the seats) and the gear shift ****.

Everyone that has seen the work thinks I replaced the seat covers. Very reasonable price. (about $300 for everything)

They stay busy doing the pre-certified dealer jobs around town.
Old 10-04-02, 05:40 PM
95SC400
Rookie

Well... Whatever you do, do not let those guys at Leather Renew touch your car if it has black leather. I tried their do-it-yourself kit and it totally failed. They told me they had not perfected it so they came out and sprayed my car and it looks much worse than before they touched it. Every time someone sits in the seat it leave an impression of their butt.

I have called, e-mailed, everything for the past year and NEVER got a response.

This inexpensive patch job may temporarily work for lighter colors but not for black.
Old 10-04-02, 06:12 PM
TexLexSC400
Driver School Candidate

I can see how the black might be a problem. The lighter colors are much easier to match up (try black grout in tile sometime and see how every little imperfection shows up).

They did spray my seats twice over a two week period as I was not satisfied with the driver's seat initally. Part of that problem was they did it in the garage the week we had all the rain and it was a very overcast day. Without natural sunlight on the seats to high light the work, you can miss problem areas.

I think the best way to go is replacement leather covers but the cost is 3 to 4 times as much and I can't justify the expense as yet.

I'll post back in a month or so after the work has "worn in"......
Old 10-16-02, 10:50 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Keith13b,
Is this deal still going on ?
Old 10-17-02, 03:10 PM
philauldridge
Driver

I installed these covers on my SC300... couldn't be more pleased. They provided the seat covers and headrest covers and they can't be distinguished from OEM. Covers came in very short time after I submitted the order. My SC has the light tan interior. I went with a darker leather which matches exactly the darker trim on the doors, so it looks like it belongs that way.

I suppose you could try to install them yourself, but I decided to do it right, and had a local shop put them on. Installation cost was almost as much as the leather purchase, but it was worth it!

I also bought an extra hide of matching leather, and had the local shop sew up new front arm rests and center compartment cover.

Highly recommended!

Quick Reply: Have read the Leather threads, have questions