SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

shop nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11 | 02:49 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Default shop nightmare

okay, so i took my car to a local shop that specializes in imports, they stared work on it at 8 a.m. today, the plan was to do a synthetic oil change, 95$ including new filter. and i needed to get a blow off valve welded and a turbo timer installed. i had the parts, so that clearly wont be included in the price, so i got a call from the shop manager at about 3:30 and says there is a complete mess of wires behind my dash, he says there are wires that are 4 feet in length not even connected to anything, he says my alarm system ( that dosent work) is just a wiring nightmare. he also says that my dash is missing a TON of screws and isent properly anchored, the shop said it was gonna be 8 and a half hours of work ($850) but he said sense he didn't tell me he was going to do that but he did anyways, hes not charging me for it. but he said sense it is still a absolute MESS in there, the wiring is still incredibly hard, and he quoted me for 550 max at the end of the day, this still seems really F****ing expensive. any thought from you guys? it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-26-11 | 03:14 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

550 is ridiculous ill fix it for 200
Originally Posted by levie
okay, so i took my car to a local shop that specializes in imports, they stared work on it at 8 a.m. today, the plan was to do a synthetic oil change, 95$ including new filter. and i needed to get a blow off valve welded and a turbo timer installed. i had the parts, so that clearly wont be included in the price, so i got a call from the shop manager at about 3:30 and says there is a complete mess of wires behind my dash, he says there are wires that are 4 feet in length not even connected to anything, he says my alarm system ( that dosent work) is just a wiring nightmare. he also says that my dash is missing a TON of screws and isent properly anchored, the shop said it was gonna be 8 and a half hours of work ($850) but he said sense he didn't tell me he was going to do that but he did anyways, hes not charging me for it. but he said sense it is still a absolute MESS in there, the wiring is still incredibly hard, and he quoted me for 550 max at the end of the day, this still seems really F****ing expensive. any thought from you guys? it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-26-11 | 03:17 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Think of it this way. He could have hooked up your timer and that electrical problem you have could have either caught fire or damaged your timer causing you to pay twice as much. For a potential mess you got away lucky. Buying the wire harness and having it replaced would have cost more. 550 instead of 850 is a steal.
Old 07-26-11 | 03:19 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Well really if he fixed the dash, did the oil change, installed the timer,fixed all the wiring,welded the BOV, & your $550 out the door. Then Im saying, thats not that bad, for a shop. Pay & be happy you dont have to deal with the spagetti behind the dash, when you do a stero system or something else.
Old 07-26-11 | 03:25 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

already have subs and that jazz installed and at soardrft, thats exactly how i felt. just kind of surprising and disheartening to stumble across this. but as far as im concerned i got pretty lucky, who knows how much a fire could have costed me. or if id even have my car after something like that.
Old 07-26-11 | 03:46 PM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

I think you made out ok. At least you caught the problem now instead of finding out down the road.
Old 07-26-11 | 03:55 PM
93MSB
Instructor

if the wiring harness isnt out of the car its a big pain in the *** to work on. especially if hes doing things the right way and soldering everything in.

pay the 550 and your lower back will thank you
Old 07-26-11 | 03:56 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

agreed. im so exited i get to save 300 on it too
Old 07-26-11 | 03:56 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

me personally i would have liked to see the mess he was talking about before he did the work i have worked at car dealerships for a long time and certain mechanics (not all) like to over exaggerate when they got a customer they think they can make bank on...but if all was true then you made out good
Old 07-26-11 | 04:02 PM
tsanhd
Driver School Candidate

Umm maybe he's over exaggerating you
Old 07-26-11 | 04:06 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

iv seen the alarm system wiring before, me and a buddy where going to try to get the damn thing working, but its (was) a rats nest of wires, me and him didn't even try, it was crazy. we had no idea where to start. and im 16, i dont think he would see me as a customer to make a crazy amount of money off of. and i have ordered all my parts there, and they have been super helpful and everything so far