SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Driftmotion AEM, anyone try?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 07:19 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Driftmotion AEM, anyone try?

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried the Driftmotion AEM deal?

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...rer1jz-gte.php
Old 07-27-11, 08:10 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Not a bad deal at all!!!! when im ready to go AEM looks like this is my route since they are selling the 1J to 2J adapter harness,AEM V2...
Old 07-27-11, 09:55 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that seams cheap.... the box alone for anything else v2 is like 1500$+? and the harness from aem is like 200$
Old 07-27-11, 10:59 PM
Oxford
Driver

Not bad at all, Aaron is a great guy to do business with too BTW
Old 07-28-11, 04:57 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by broda805
that seams cheap.... the box alone for anything else v2 is like 1500$+? and the harness from aem is like 200$
Yes it's cheap , it's a honda box and they repin it to work on 1jzgte it's not the 2jzgte box.
The honda civics boxes are cheaper you can pick them up for $500-$650.
Old 07-28-11, 07:24 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Yes it's cheap , it's a honda box and they repin it to work on 1jzgte it's not the 2jzgte box.
Really???? would u buy it?
Old 07-28-11, 08:32 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly and to be honest AEM is not a real good standalone as there are others out there that ***** all over AEM.
It all depends what you wan't to do with your car.

Vipec v88,pro efi, Haltech and If you go cheaper then megasquirt is good as well.
Old 07-28-11, 09:07 AM
sc300bigtx
Driver

[QUOTE=Quicksc4;6566072]Yes it's cheap , it's a honda box and they repin it to work on 1jzgte it's not the 2jzgte box.
The honda civics boxes are cheaper you can pick them up for $500-$650.[/QUOTE

This is true
I remember talking to Arron awhile back if they offered anything for soared 1j
He was telling me they were working on getting a Honda aem to work,
Never thought they would but good to know cause that's a sick price for an aem for a jz
I will deff be trying this next time around
Old 07-28-11, 09:18 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would run it if I was 1J and in the market for a PNP standalone. I am sure the Honda AEM is just as tuneable as the Supra version.
Old 07-28-11, 09:26 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 94_soarer
Really???? would u buy it?
It's a good way to save money, if you know what you are doing and you good with wiring you can even do it yourself.
its all about what you want and how much you wanna spend.. there is nothing wrong with it if you Tuner can take care of the tuning part.
but when it doesn't work that's when the headache begins
I always like using the ge harness on my swap and convert it to TT so if you decide you want Aem later it's PNP , i just bought 30-1100 it came in yesterday.
Originally Posted by xspsi6
Exactly and to be honest AEM is not a real good standalone as there are others out there that ***** all over AEM.
It all depends what you wan't to do with your car.

Vipec v88,pro efi, Haltech and If you go cheaper then megasquirt is good as well.
Why isn't AEM a real good standalone? have you ever had it on your car? or just going by what people says... i wouldn't say that without first hand experience do you have any data to back up your statement?
AEM is the best mod i have ever done to my car, like i said earlier it's all about what you are looking for and how deep your pockets are.
Some people want PNP setups, how much is Motec? How much is haltech PS2000? it's not PNP you have to buy the PNP kit? i don't like Vipec V88 because not everyone can tune it and people don't even use that anymore i know a couple people of SF that use it .. so are you saying that MS is also better than AEM?
People says AEM is "junk" mine always worked great it's all in the Tune there is nothing wrong with AEM, its affordable and reliable if you know what your are doing.
Old 07-28-11, 09:38 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good way to save money, if you know what you are doing and you good with wiring you can even do it yourself.
its all about what you want and how much you wanna spend.. there is nothing wrong with it if you Tuner can take care of the tuning part.
but when it doesn't work that's when the headache begins
I always like using the ge harness on my swap and convert it to TT so if you decide you want Aem later it's PNP , i just bought 30-1100 it came in yesterday.

Why isn't AEM a real good standalone? have you ever had it on your car? or just going by what people says... i wouldn't say that without first hand experience do you have any data to back up your statement?
AEM is the best mod i have ever done to my car, like i said earlier it's all about what you are looking for and how deep your pockets are.
Some people want PNP setups, how much is Motec? How much is haltech PS2000? it's not PNP you have to buy the PNP kit? i don't like Vipec V88 because not everyone can tune it and people don't even use that anymore i know a couple people of SF that use it .. so are you saying that MS is also better than AEM?
People says AEM is "junk" mine always worked great it's all in the Tune there is nothing wrong with AEM, its affordable and reliable if you know what your are doing.
Yes I had AEM on my supra and quickley got rid of it but I guess my taste in sems is different than most as I look at it from a pure performance standpoint and I have had real good luck with vi-pec v88 systems in the past as well as pro efi which is what replaced my AEM however AEM is good for a beginner who can't wire in their own ems and there is nothing really wrong with it just not as capable as others on the market.
Vi-pec is the most easy to tune system imo as it will tune it self for the most part but it is bigger over seas but we use them on all of the rally evo's and those also used to use AEM but due to the complex anti lag systems they were ditched in favor of the Vi-pec.

It all come down to $$ really which is why I say MS is a real good system for the money just not very beginner friendly.
Old 07-28-11, 11:46 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Here on CL you can count the SC owners that can afford a Motec setup/Proefi so that's why i don't talk about those ecu on this forum.
When i see someone steping up to AEM EMS i am always happy for them because i know it's user friendly it's easy to hook up and you can get it tune anywhere in the US even Outside the US.
People of here usually don't like to hear about EMS.. they just get stuck on the SAFC stuff so when they $1200 on EMS that we all works i like to give them the because not everyone on here can afford to dump $4000.00 -$10.000.00 on car ECU.

I wanted Haltech 3 years ago, i almost pulled the trigger but i found out that it has to be rewire and that it doesnt use all the factory sensors that was a for me , i like to put my car back to stock in 20 min and then there is only (1) Haltech dealer in MD and he is not the best tuner, he doesn't have his head over his shoulder so i didn't wanna have him tune my car because i know what will happen later down the road....you know
i went AEM and never looked back.
Old 07-28-11, 01:50 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL I got my AEM 30-1100(for a 2jz-gte) and a patch harness for around that same price.
Old 07-28-11, 06:26 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

So I did my research on this. Talking to AEM, they make there units with just a handfull of parts. The only difference is the pinouts aka the plugs. If you know what your doing it works quite well. After a conversation with Aaron he told me the same thing. Heres the kicker, its still under warranty from AEM. So far he has 25-30 units out there with no problems. So I bought it yesterday and I will update you all on this unit.
Old 07-28-11, 07:17 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Congrat bro I am very happy for you post some pics once you get it.

Quick Reply: Driftmotion AEM, anyone try?