SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1uz vs. 1jz

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 12:35 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to give an example of what I'm looking at
First to come for my project is an r154 manual conversion swap. Anything manual for the 1uz will require fabrication because of the flywheel and adapter plates from tranny to bellhousing. I researched and researched, but upon all of this, I figured I might as well just go for a kit so that I don't have to find prices for a 1square foot by 35 mm thick aluminum block, even though I already purchased it. Have it machined and a flywheel. If I go with a kit, it will kinda be an off the shelf item through the maker of the kit.
Next is turbo setup. This one varies for everybody, but my application I will go twin turbo with Garrett t25 for the time being. For this, I need to decide how I want to fab my exhaust piping, intercooler and exhaust.
Then, since I want to run at 11-13 psi on these turbos, I need standalone. This is where I'm really hung up on.
A really good site for the 1uz is lextreme.com.

I think that overall most information that people gave you in this thread is pretty good, but it all comes down to what you want and the obstacles you're willing to tackle. For me, since I've never done a v8, and just feeling the power of the stock motor and my plans for the project, the end result will be priceless. Grinning from ear to ear hearing my custom built exhaust rumbling.But that's what motivates me.

Charley
Old 07-29-11, 04:05 AM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, the simple answer is... if you're not mechanically inclined, stay away from tuning the 1UZ.
Old 07-29-11, 08:53 AM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charley240
Just to give an example of what I'm looking at
First to come for my project is an r154 manual conversion swap. Anything manual for the 1uz will require fabrication because of the flywheel and adapter plates from tranny to bellhousing. I researched and researched, but upon all of this, I figured I might as well just go for a kit so that I don't have to find prices for a 1square foot by 35 mm thick aluminum block, even though I already purchased it. Have it machined and a flywheel. If I go with a kit, it will kinda be an off the shelf item through the maker of the kit.
Next is turbo setup. This one varies for everybody, but my application I will go twin turbo with Garrett t25 for the time being. For this, I need to decide how I want to fab my exhaust piping, intercooler and exhaust.
Then, since I want to run at 11-13 psi on these turbos, I need standalone. This is where I'm really hung up on.
A really good site for the 1uz is lextreme.com.

I think that overall most information that people gave you in this thread is pretty good, but it all comes down to what you want and the obstacles you're willing to tackle. For me, since I've never done a v8, and just feeling the power of the stock motor and my plans for the project, the end result will be priceless. Grinning from ear to ear hearing my custom built exhaust rumbling.But that's what motivates me.

Charley
That sounds awesome, an mainly I was thinking of just sticking with an automatic so would there be any problems with that? That is a reason I want to do the 1UZ because it has such great power and everytime i'd hear it i'd have to start working on the car so I could get it to the point where I can take on the streets to test it out an feel where all the blood,sweat, and tears went into. and it does seem good but what are good places to start looking for the engine itself?

Originally Posted by VinSCe
Honestly, the simple answer is... if you're not mechanically inclined, stay away from tuning the 1UZ.
Yeah that's understandable. This swap will take place alot later down the road and I will have more equipment to do this and more people to help me out if needed. And with the 1JZ, since the stock inline 6 that comes in the SC has dual exhaust, is there a way to get dual exhaust for the 1j? And like what I asked above, what are good places to look for 1j's and the aftermarket parts?

Last edited by S0ulTuner; 07-29-11 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-29-11, 09:10 AM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Originally Posted by N00bie909
1uz is expensive to mod. 1jz are good but finding parts is a little harder why not na-t the 2jz trust me the ge can make lots of power with a good tune the only thing you would worry about is if your tranny can hold that much. Look in clubna-t.com lots of impressive builds and number on 2jz-ge's.
I would just stick with the engine I have but it has 200K roughly and it just seems kinda dumb
Old 07-29-11, 01:46 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll just need to upgrade the tranny.
Ls400/sc400 motors are cheap. Since I already have the early 1uz motor which is the stronger rod version , then that does also help me decide to stay 1uz vs 2j/1j

Like the above guy said, if you're not mechanically inclined, this project will be extremely difficult.
Also, another example, for the r154 swap, besides all the crap mentioned above that is required, I will also need to do a shifter extension. This I will handle myself. So cut, measure, and weld is also required for this
Goodluck

Charley
Old 07-29-11, 02:51 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

1jz-dont need to explaine why, everyones showed its good side. why arent you considering 2j or na-t?
Old 07-29-11, 04:55 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S0ulTuner
What do you mean by 'easier to manage'?
I have heard this quite alot, and people have told me no chaser motors. And what do I find? Chasers? I guess my next question is whats so bad about the chaser model and why I should steer clear?
By easier to manage I mean that upgrades are easily accessible for a 1j, and as you're hearing from everyone else, 1uz upgrades are not. If you really wanted to go with the v8, you might as well go get an sc400 and save the hassle.

Chaser motors aren't as much of a plug and play as the soarer 1j. It's not a huge deal but you'd have to buy a different oil pan and wiring is more of a hassle. Honestly, I'm probably not the right guy to ask about chaser motors as I haven't worked with one. I'm sure someone else can chime in on this though.

Like I was saying in your intro thread, do some searching, after a while people aren't going to be so nice to try and help you make decisions about your own car with subjects that have come up time and time again
Old 07-29-11, 05:02 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

I just have one important question. Do you like Mac or PC?
Old 07-29-11, 05:11 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you need some 1uzfe parts for the motor let me know. I have one trying to part completely out including the wiring and the ecu.. Good luck.
Old 07-29-11, 09:32 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Originally Posted by levie
1jz-dont need to explaine why, everyones showed its good side. why arent you considering 2j or na-t?
Honestly, I do not know what I would need to do to the rest of the car yet and i'm probably gonna need to try to see if my boss will help tear the motor down and get the the banged up parts out but if we wont im not sure where to turn I am pretty sure the tranny wont be able to handle all that boost so I would need to get a different tranny, driveshaft. but past the basics, I dont have much of a clue. Wishin we still had the shop, i'd in alot better shape then right now

Originally Posted by FutureSC
By easier to manage I mean that upgrades are easily accessible for a 1j, and as you're hearing from everyone else, 1uz upgrades are not. If you really wanted to go with the v8, you might as well go get an sc400 and save the hassle.

Chaser motors aren't as much of a plug and play as the soarer 1j. It's not a huge deal but you'd have to buy a different oil pan and wiring is more of a hassle. Honestly, I'm probably not the right guy to ask about chaser motors as I haven't worked with one. I'm sure someone else can chime in on this though.

Like I was saying in your intro thread, do some searching, after a while people aren't going to be so nice to try and help you make decisions about your own car with subjects that have come up time and time again
Oh okay duh, but I may try to find a 1jz and mod that. I can probably find threads on here where people have done a chaser swap and I can probably scrounge thru those. And I do understand and I thank you for putting up with these reaccuring questions, I don't exactly have people that will give me or have the advice for me. No one really has too much faith in me and they think im just a dumb teenager trying to show off where this is just something I really love doing an want to get better at. . .

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
I just have one important question. Do you like Mac or PC?
I use PC, macs are too expensive. The only thing I like about apple is their ipod touches

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
If you need some 1uzfe parts for the motor let me know. I have one trying to part completely out including the wiring and the ecu.. Good luck.
Thanks!!

Last edited by S0ulTuner; 07-29-11 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-29-11, 10:06 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S0ulTuner

I use PC, macs are too expensive. The only thing I like about apple is their ipod touches

I think the reason why he asked that question is to tell if you're a person who can fix/ handle your own problems (pc) or buy a mac like all those people who can't fix their own viruses and such and get a mac. just like in this situation where you would pick 1uz over 1jz. If you're challenged go 1uz, if you're a mac go 1jz. IDK just a guess LOL.
Old 07-30-11, 08:36 AM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Originally Posted by BigBang
I think the reason why he asked that question is to tell if you're a person who can fix/ handle your own problems (pc) or buy a mac like all those people who can't fix their own viruses and such and get a mac. just like in this situation where you would pick 1uz over 1jz. If you're challenged go 1uz, if you're a mac go 1jz. IDK just a guess LOL.
That's the best guess as any lol but yeah I hate macs, their just a huge waste of money!
At this point I'll go with either motor. what automatic trannys and be installed withese an are they an easier install then the r154?
Old 07-30-11, 09:32 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To be honest with you need alot of reading, R154 swap in the 1UZ is not cheap so before you start tearing stuff apart or start spending money you must know what you are getting yourself into.The conversion kit is not cheap make sure you wanna spend that kind of money and your car will still be slow .

If you like the V8 and ready for challenges go with the V8 and twin or Single Turbo

If you on a budget and want something with decent power something little quicker and not breaking the bank just 300rwhp-350rwhp just do 1jzgte with R154 and enjoy your car this swap is almost PNP in your SC400.

Again just search on this SC section and you will see all the other that had the same idea.
hell there is 1jz vs 2jz vs na-t vs 1uz on here somewhere it full of info and i am sure that will help you make up your mind.

glwp
Old 07-30-11, 10:07 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if i was the OP i'd just get a 1jz.... swapping in a 1uz seems pointless unless its vvti and manual otherwise your just making a sc400 and they are not fast haha

we all know he's not gonna turbo the 1uz.... no point sticking up for the 1uz and what it can do because its not gonna get done.

go 1jz or na-t..... or spend a bit more and go 2jz-gte
Old 07-30-11, 10:20 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Just write down the pros and cons of each. How much are you willing to spend? How far do you think you're car can go in mods in the future? Are you challenged or not? If you want a challenge by all means go 1uz

1uz-hard to mod, expensive, but great potential
1jz- easy to mod, variety of aftermarket support, doesn't cost as much as 1uz

in my opinion.. I think you shud just go na-t the ge can make plenty power for the price. If you want above and beyond go 1uz. But why go 1uz when you can just save yourself the trouble and buy an sc400 and manual swap it. It just doesn't make much sense getting an sc300 only to swap for 1uz. So right now the options you can do is go 1jz, na-t, or 2jz-gte if you had the money.

Quick Reply: 1uz vs. 1jz