SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1uz vs. 1jz

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 10:17 AM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1uz vs. 1jz

I know i'll be doing an engine swap in the future but not sure what engine! I narrowed it down to the 1UZ and the 1JZ. I love the V8's torque an dual exhaust note, but the 1JZ has great mods but a bit harder to find.
I'm mainly gonna base my desicion off amount of parts and overall better performance but I want technical advice which is all around better. Thanks
Old 07-28-11, 10:29 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are going to get a barrage of different opinions. They are both good motors, the end result is what is YOUR goal?

What do you currently have? This will determine how much work is going to need to be done and the ease of doing so. Will you be doing the work or will a shop be doing the work?
Old 07-28-11, 11:05 AM
hovsc400
Pole Position

you might get bashed for this one this is topic that has been beat to death a bunch of times aside from me telling you to do a little searching 1uz's are cheap to buy but jz's are easy to mod and make power easy either way you better have an open bank accout if you plan on modding either engine with the 1uz costing more to mod as it has little aftermarket support
Old 07-28-11, 11:05 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1JZ hard to find??

Main question is how deep are you pockets? 1UZ's arent cheap to mod, vs. 1JZ are a dime a dozen and easy to source parts for. Figure your goals, and spending costs first. Compare the 2 then make the decision. No one can make the decision for you.

IBTL
Old 07-28-11, 11:30 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any specific reason why you want to swap vs using the 2JZGE NA-T kit? How many miles do you have? With a few thousand dollars you can buy a NA-T kit and have a lot of fun. I'm just throwing that out there since 1J's are more difficult to find these days. What are your ultimate goals?
Old 07-28-11, 12:17 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

1uz is expensive to mod. 1jz are good but finding parts is a little harder why not na-t the 2jz trust me the ge can make lots of power with a good tune the only thing you would worry about is if your tranny can hold that much. Look in clubna-t.com lots of impressive builds and number on 2jz-ge's.
Old 07-28-11, 01:00 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My question is why are you swapping in a 1UZ ? you can save a ton of money if u jus buy a sc400, they got for about 2-3 grand nowadays in ok condition but definitely not worth swapping that in. I would rather u swap the 1jz in because thats actually worth it
Old 07-28-11, 01:05 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
My question is why are you swapping in a 1UZ ?
DING,DING,DING,DING,DING,DING,DING!!!
Close thread!!!
Old 07-28-11, 01:25 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
DING,DING,DING,DING,DING,DING,DING!!!
Close thread!!!
Lmao!!!!! i was wondering the same thing

Why swap a engine for another all motor engine....like everyone said either go 1j, 2j, or N/a-T......you wont be disappointed!!!
Old 07-28-11, 01:45 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

this topic comes up all the time it is getting a bit tiresome.

I love 1uz's but the fact is the 1j's are cheaper to mod and easier to mod.

If your doing all the work yourself id say go the 1uz route, if your able to fabricate and do alot of the work yourself your ahead of the game.
Old 07-28-11, 03:58 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why you would swap an NA engine for another NA. Just building on what others are saying, save up some cash, (at least double of what you think you're going to need) and build a 1jz. Parts are easy to find and although a 4 liter V8 would always produce more power than a 2.5L straight 6 with the same mods, the 1j is just easier to manage.

And 1j's are DEFINITELY not hard to source haha
Old 07-28-11, 04:21 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

If your doing all the work yourself id say go the 1uz route, if your able to fabricate and do alot of the work yourself your ahead of the game.
I'm with this guy. I think if you have general knowledge of auto motive and able to fabricate, then 1uz would be a good choice. My 1uz project will be my first forced induction project and am learning a lot through research

I think enthusiasm is required for the 1uz. Lol
Because it does get tiresome research after research

Charley
Old 07-28-11, 05:00 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had the 1UZ in my 400 for some time. I have done the exhaust, intake (BFI) mod, etc. Love the torque and the sound it delivers. I am currently bored with it and deiced to build it. I also done tons of research with SC400TT (Ryan) and SCOTTURNOT (Scott) and they both agreed the motor is a beast. When you start pricing parts, they are out of this world. I priced the pistons, from Wiseco, performace shops, Ross, etc, and the cheapest is around 1400 to the door.. Thats just the pistons and rings, yet they are forged, but thats insane. So now I have tore this motor down and parting it out. Long story short its a beast to build and the outcome is all in what you want and how deep your pockets are. Both of these guys are Engineers and have ton of $$$ to do whatever they want. I am going with a 2JGTE with a single or stock turbos's. Its cheaper and more ready parts available for reasonable prices versus the 1UZ. Good luck with what you want to do.. Keep us posted.
Old 07-28-11, 09:20 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Originally Posted by FutureSC
I don't see why you would swap an NA engine for another NA. Just building on what others are saying, save up some cash, (at least double of what you think you're going to need) and build a 1jz. Parts are easy to find and although a 4 liter V8 would always produce more power than a 2.5L straight 6 with the same mods, the 1j is just easier to manage.
And 1j's are DEFINITELY not hard to source haha
What do you mean by 'easier to manage'?
I have heard this quite alot, and people have told me no chaser motors. And what do I find? Chasers? I guess my next question is whats so bad about the chaser model and why I should steer clear?

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I have had the 1UZ in my 400 for some time. I have done the exhaust, intake (BFI) mod, etc. Love the torque and the sound it delivers. I am currently bored with it and deiced to build it. I also done tons of research with SC400TT (Ryan) and SCOTTURNOT (Scott) and they both agreed the motor is a beast. When you start pricing parts, they are out of this world. I priced the pistons, from Wiseco, performace shops, Ross, etc, and the cheapest is around 1400 to the door.. Thats just the pistons and rings, yet they are forged, but thats insane. So now I have tore this motor down and parting it out. Long story short its a beast to build and the outcome is all in what you want and how deep your pockets are. Both of these guys are Engineers and have ton of $$$ to do whatever they want. I am going with a 2JGTE with a single or stock turbos's. Its cheaper and more ready parts available for reasonable prices versus the 1UZ. Good luck with what you want to do.. Keep us posted.
Right, I have heard that before. But it seems pointless to turbo the engine already in it because it's already got about 200K on it. That's one of the reasons im doing a swap. But also it just seems like more of a better use of my time to get the V8 an start out with 300 horse out of the box. An thank you for the interest, I will. It's the least I could do

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

Originally Posted by turbodremz
1JZ hard to find??

Main question is how deep are you pockets? 1UZ's arent cheap to mod, vs. 1JZ are a dime a dozen and easy to source parts for. Figure your goals, and spending costs first. Compare the 2 then make the decision. No one can make the decision for you.

IBTL
I could imagine, I am sorry but im a bit of a n00b and just need advice of what the best route would be. And I know this, when the time comes I will be the one making the final decision and wont give a damn about other opinions, but I dont want to just blindly point in the dark and go with it, thats why I came here is to gain knowledge, and look above an youll see my dilemma with it being hard to find

Originally Posted by charley240
I'm with this guy. I think if you have general knowledge of auto motive and able to fabricate, then 1uz would be a good choice. My 1uz project will be my first forced induction project and am learning a lot through research

I think enthusiasm is required for the 1uz. Lol
Because it does get tiresome research after research

Charley
I have that, I've been staying up countless nights researching and trying to plan this out ever since I heard that the sc was gonna be ownerless, but just keep getting stumped at this one topic. An if it requires tiresome reseach, im willing to pay that price any day for a great outcome no matter the engine, i'll to the overkill research even to make sure its percise
Old 07-28-11, 09:48 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

And if im not looking deep enough, what are good sites too start my search on a better foot?

Quick Reply: 1uz vs. 1jz