SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

A/C Questions...Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 09:32 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Questions...Plz Help!

Hey guys, first off id like to say my A/C works just fine in my car, when i was doing my single turbo build a friend of mine that was helping me wrench on the twins got alil to close to the A/C line by the firewall & he bent the dang Copper wire that bolts on the A/C line, instead of him tellin me he tried to bend it back and Snap it when....

So basically its the copper wire that is connected to the Expansion valve, so i need to replace it, Also since ima replace it my Evaporator has a lil leak so i decided i will replace that aswell while replaced the expansion valve..

Anyway, guy i would jus like to kno if i needed to pull the dash to get to the expansion valve & evaporator or can it be done through the glove box n lower kick panel??

Plz any info is well needed!!!

Thanks, Nate
Old 07-30-11, 03:03 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Bump.....Come on fellas, I kno im not the only guy that this has happened to, hool me up fellas...i live in florida yall, this heat is nada to play wit! Besides, im tired of my girl friend complainin about it.
Old 07-30-11, 09:06 AM
sc300ttev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont need to pull the dash. Just the glove box needs to be removed if I remember correctly. It might help if you pull the passenger seat, just so you have room to actually get in the car and work on it.
Old 07-30-11, 01:44 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300ttev
You dont need to pull the dash. Just the glove box needs to be removed if I remember correctly. It might help if you pull the passenger seat, just so you have room to actually get in the car and work on it.
Thanks for the info, anyone else have any tips or info?
Old 08-02-11, 07:09 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whole dash has to come off, and make sure you get new O rings for it, it's not too bad but time consuming.
Old 08-02-11, 09:12 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Whole dash has to come off, and make sure you get new O rings for it, it's not too bad but time consuming.
Damnit!!!!! well i put freon with dye in it before and there were no leaks at all in the engine bay, the reason y it was leakin out was because the evaporator, & i could also smell freon when i used the A/C...

Are there any right ups or anything on how to take off the dash...man im highly upset now!!!

I swear jus because of this i am pretty close to jus selling it now cuz that is too much damn work!
Old 08-02-11, 10:10 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Removing the dash is very easy just look for the bolt, once you remove the glove box, center console it's straight foward. drop the steering column move the dricer seat back .
i will be swapping my dash with a black one i will take some pics if you like, but it will be in a couple weeks.

no don't sell your car because of the dash!!! come on Call me when you ready to do it i can guide you over the phone .
Old 08-02-11, 10:36 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Removing the dash is very easy just look for the bolt, once you remove the glove box, center console it's straight foward. drop the steering column move the dricer seat back .
i will be swapping my dash with a black one i will take some pics if you like, but it will be in a couple weeks.

no don't sell your car because of the dash!!! come on Call me when you ready to do it i can guide you over the phone .
Yea, i jus looked up a few threads on removing the dash, doesn't seem too hard jus time consuming like everyone says... I was gonna have another guy romove it n replace my evaporator n expanstion valve but he quoted me $500 alone jus for labor and the parts is about $190.

Yea, i have been through so much with this SC i couldnt jus sell it over A/C, i bought this car 3 years ago completely stock nothing done to it at all so i kno what has been done to it & what hasn't

Also, if i was putting freon in it before & could smell it in the car when i used the A/C, what do u think the problem is? like i said after putting freon in the aA/C worked great jus took about a week & 1/2 to leak out, we did the dye test and we didnt see any leaks in the engine bay, so i assume its the Evaporator.
Old 08-12-11, 06:47 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to update this thread, you have to remove the glove box and some surrounding parts, but NOT the entire dash. Per the manual.
Old 08-12-11, 08:15 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Just to update this thread, you have to remove the glove box and some surrounding parts, but NOT the entire dash. Per the manual.
Oh yea, i guess i should buy the manual to the SC300 huh..yea i hear u can jus take the glove box out, lower panel i should be ok.. what about the passenger air bag?
Old 08-12-11, 10:37 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Manual says nothing about it.